Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 20, 2014, 03:02:06 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Atlas Fantasy Elections
| |-+  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Gustaf, MasterJedi)
| | |-+  The AverroŽs Nix Presidential Library
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 11 Print
Author Topic: The AverroŽs Nix Presidential Library  (Read 8526 times)
AverroŽs Nix
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: August 25, 2012, 04:19:52 pm »
Ignore

Northeast Governor Averroës Nix emerged from a closed-door meeting with Canadian Prime Minister Stephen Harper in Ottawa earlier today. The governor held a brief press conference during his return flight to New York.

"I'm encouraged by the results of today's talks. Allowing larger, ocean-bound ships to travel along the seaway would be a boon to ports on both the Atlasian and Canadian sides of the Great Lakes, and even a major project is well within the realm of the politically possible."

"An expansion project could be large, or small; pursued piecemeal, or all at once. We can begin by tackling the most troublesome choke points - deepening a channel here, building a larger lock there. But a large-scale project, while more difficult to achieve, will have by far the greatest economic benefit."

"The Saint Lawrence Seaway as it exists is no longer adequate to meet the economic needs of the Northeast and the Mideast. We've made few improvements to the seaway since it's completion in 1959. Making the ports of the Great Lakes accessible to larger shipping vessels could have enormous economic benefits - over 225,000 jobs in the Great Lakes region depend on sea trade. But as the average size of an ocean-bond vessel increases, a smaller share can travel the seaway. We're cutting ourselves off from global markets. That is why I am calling for us to commit to increasing the seaway's maximum draft from twenty-seven feet to forty feet."
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 07:27:36 pm by AverroŽs Nix »Logged

Alfred F. Jones
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 25, 2012, 06:58:22 pm »
Ignore

American and Canadian sides of the Great Lakes

You watch too much television, Mr. Governor, and may I remind you that several of the Great Lakes are in the Mideast?

There is a lot of humor to be mined from this as the mind of LBJ in the body of an 18 month old baby girl is quite hilarious.

Alfred is the Atlasian equivalent of a malevolent deity.

AverroŽs Nix
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 25, 2012, 07:31:04 pm »
Ignore

American and Canadian sides of the Great Lakes

You watch too much television, Mr. Governor, and may I remind you that several of the Great Lakes are in the Mideast?

The Mideast receives mention in one of the excerpts. (Duluth is in the Midwest, so they have a Great Lakes port too.)

The other mistake has been noted, and the intern responsible for producing the transcript has been fired for her mistake/sabotage.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2012, 07:35:38 pm by AverroŽs Nix »Logged

AverroŽs Nix
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 30, 2012, 04:13:44 pm »
Ignore

SPECIAL ANNOUNCEMENT AT FORT NIX

Good afternoon, people of the Northeast. I meet with you today because, after consultation with friends, allies, and advisers, I have reached a decision concerning my political future and yours.

My first term as Northeast Governor has been a productive one. My signature achievement was the passage of the first regional budget in recent memory. I have also focused on game reform issues, leading to the creation of the Northeast Vital Civic Information Thread and, more recently, the passage of an amendment that would synchronize regional and federal elections. And, just earlier today, the Assembly finally passed a capital relocation bill that I introduced.

I am proud of my record. I have fought to keep the region active and to maintain the right balance of fun and seriousness. I have enjoyed my time as Northeast Governor, and I would enjoy continuing to serve the region in this capacity.

However, I have stated in the past that I would prefer not to run for re-election. I believe that a regional executive should avoid serving consecutive terms (when possible) because periodic changes in leadership are healthy. A region should not be dominated by a single person's vision or governing style. As I have reason to believe that there are other Northeasterners who are both qualified to hold this office and interested in doing so, I will not be seeking a second term October.

I have endorsed Governor ZuWo's campaign for reelection in the Mideast despite the presence of a well-qualified opponent, so I should clarify that I do not believe that it is wrong in principle for a regional executive to seek reelection. But ZuWo is a political veteran; I am not - Atlasia offers opportunities that I have not yet explored, and I intend to explore them. I will make a seperate announcement describing these intentions to the public shortly.

R2D2
20RP12
YaBB God
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -7.94, S: -8.09

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 30, 2012, 04:15:41 pm »
Ignore

Governor, you've been wonderful to the Northeast Region. I sincerely hope you remain active in the Northeast Region, as you've been more of an asset than anyone could describe.

i like girls but there is NOTHING better then a sexi hott dude
AverroŽs Nix
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 30, 2012, 04:23:18 pm »
Ignore

Governor, you've been wonderful to the Northeast Region. I sincerely hope you remain active in the Northeast Region, as you've been more of an asset than anyone could describe.

Thank you, 20RP12! I will say this: I intend to remain active, and I will continue to follow and offer comments on the proceedings of the Northeast Assembly, regardless of whatever else I may be doing. Regional governments deserve the attention of past elected officials who have the time and interest to do so.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 04:30:17 pm by AverroŽs Nix »Logged

ZuWo
YaBB God
Switzerland

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 30, 2012, 04:25:41 pm »
Ignore

I agree. As I said in my campaign thread, you have done a very good job as Northeast Governor and it would have been to the benefit of the region if you had served another term.
tmthforu94
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: August 30, 2012, 07:25:02 pm »
Ignore

Endorsed for your Senate run. Smiley

Did you and Scott plan this? Wink

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives."
-Jackie Robinson
Scott
YaBB God
United States
View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 30, 2012, 07:34:05 pm »
Ignore

Press Release - Endorsement

It has come to my attention that Governor Averroes Nix has unexpectedly announced a run for Northeast Senator.  (How unexpected!)

Governor Nix has proven his dedication to his region through his months of service, both as Assembly Speaker and in the position he is in now.  Upon seeing the progress he has made and continues to make, I know of no better person to pass the Senate torch.  It is with this that I throw Nix my endorsement (and some fruit as well!) so that the Northeast may be adequately represented by someone who will continue to stand for progressive values.

If anybody asks- nobody told ya nothin'!
AverroŽs Nix
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 30, 2012, 07:57:13 pm »
Ignore

SPEECH AT FORT NIX

Good evening, friends! I'm here tonight to announce that I will be a candidate for Northeast Senator this fall.

As your current regional executive, I hope that you all are somewhat familiar with me by now. You know my thoughts on at least a few issues, you know what my interests are, and you know how I deal with problems. You know that I am committed to active service and keeping the game fun.

As Governor, I've defined myself as a non-partisan consensus-builder, and that's been a wise choice. I've learned to work productively with people of different ideological stripes, and I've accomplished much more than I might have otherwise because of that. As your Senator, I would bring these skills to our federal legislator. But I'll also be more aggressive. You are my constituents, and you deserve to a Senator who can fight.

As I develop this campaign, I will outline in greater detail my views on a range of issues. Tonight, I will outline the themes on which I intend to base my campaign.

First, I intend myself to define myself as an advocate for the region. I will take seriously and prioritize the interests of Northeasterners. You are the ones who might elect me. As the largest region in Atlasia, you deserve especially active representation and responsive constituent services. Any Northeasterner who contacts me via PM can expect a prompt and helpful response, whether I agree with them or not.

As Governor, I have made game reform issues a priority. I constantly ask myself: How can we improve the way in which our regional government functions? How can we make it more fun? How can we encourage activity? Most recently, I've worked with Mideast Governor ZuWo, IDS Emperor PiT, and Pacific Governor Spamage to create the Conference of Atlasian Regional Executives (C.A.R.E.). This organization aims to serve as a platform for regional advocacy and discussions among regional executives. If I am elected to the Senate, you can expect me to continue this focus. In an era of relatively weak parties, regional governments are essential to bringing new players into the game, and they deserve more attention and respect than they currently receive - especially at the federal level.

I should be clear that I am not running on an IDS-style platform of promoting regional rights. (Although I do oppose efforts to develop a federal system of universities - the Northeast, at least, has a system of public universities that is both competitive and accessible. We pay a great deal for that quality and accessibility, and we don't need to spend more creating a redundant system at the federal level.) What I stand for is elevating regional governments to a position of greater prominence and respect.

I am also interested in domestic policy - specifically, programs of public investment. Infrastructure development. Education. Prison policy. As Senator, I would push for extending the nation's high speed rail system, extending funds to municipalities to replace antiquated water and sewer systems, and universal broadband access, among other goals.

Of course, foreign policy also merits mention, especially as I have little experience with it. My first speech will outline my foreign policy vision, but for now I would like to point to my record. My recent trip to Canada demonstrates that I believe in close cooperation with our allies and trade partners. And my advocating against the expansionistic Antarctic Incorporation Act shows that I support a cautious, sensible foreign policy.

Please direct questions and comments to my office - I am always glad to address them. Good night!
« Last Edit: August 30, 2012, 08:02:13 pm by AverroŽs Nix »Logged

AverroŽs Nix
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 30, 2012, 08:08:35 pm »
Ignore

Endorsed for your Senate run. Smiley

How can you plan anything with Scott? Guy's a wild card. Lives by his own rules. Drinks his milk straight from the carton. Drives with just one hand on the wheel.

Seriously - Thank you very much for the endorsement, Tmth. It means a great deal to me to have the support of a seasoned Atlasian politician like you.

Scott, I'm glad that you've reacted well to this shocking turn of events. We have a great, productive relationship that I'm sure will continue if we are both elected.

President John Hay
clarence
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 30, 2012, 10:42:25 pm »
Ignore

You've proven to be a leader who sees candidates and ideas by merit rather then label.... I am proud to endorse you

Alfred F. Jones
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 30, 2012, 10:49:09 pm »
Ignore

Proudly endorsed - this goes for Scott too!

There is a lot of humor to be mined from this as the mind of LBJ in the body of an 18 month old baby girl is quite hilarious.

AverroŽs Nix
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 01, 2012, 07:03:02 pm »
Ignore

I extend my thanks to Senator Clarence, who brings to the Senate a rare combination of tolerance and devotion to principle. I look forward to working with you from across the aisle. (I hope!)

Speaker Alfred, I'm also proud to have your endorsement. Without your help, my list of accomplishments in the Northeast would be significantly shorter. Your contagious enthusiasm has made politics in our region healthier and more fun.

(I know this all sounds effusive, but I'm being totally sincere.)

In other campaign news, I'll soon deliver my foreign policy speech from City Hall Park in Burlington, Vermont. Stay tuned!

AverroŽs Nix
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 01, 2012, 08:09:31 pm »
Ignore

NIX ON FOREIGN POLICY

PART I - MAJOR THEMES

1. Atlasia First = Globalism - When I consider any piece of legislation related to foreign policy, I will first consider the interests of Atlasians. I express my view in this manner with caution, and only because I believe that ultimately, prioritizing the interests of Atlasia is necessarily consistent with promoting broader respect for human rights, democracy, and the environment worldwide. When we fail to protect these interests, we fail to protect Atlasia.

2. Peace Through Peace - Atlasia best promotes peace over violence within and between nations by setting a good example. This entails reducing spending on national defense, refraining from interfering in the national affairs of foreign governments, eliminating all military aid, and that we negotiate first, sanction second, and resort to violence only in the face of attack or an imminent, credible threat of attack. I reject the second and third pillars of the UN initiative of "responsibility to protect." I reject this dangerous norm because it is vulnerable to loose and manipulative interpretations that could provide a pretext for virtually any conflict.

3. Looking for Love in All the Wrong Places - The foreign policy of the past decade has focused largely on that which scares us. It's time for a change. As Senator, I would advocate a foreign policy that focuses on opportunities. I would prioritize our relationships with our most important trading partners - Canada and Mexico and elevate our relationships with nations with large economies such as China, Germany and Brazil; and growing economies such as Turkey, Ghana, and Argentina.

PART II - RECENT LEGISLATION

OPPOSE the Antarctic Incorporation Act. This expansionistic bill would threaten a status quo of peace and international cooperation while providing Atlasia with almost no meaningful benefits.

SUPPORT the Napoleon administration's negotiations with Iran. Iran does not represent a credible threat to the interests of Atlasia. What course of action is mostly likely to change that? Refusing to engage. While Senator Clarence's Iran Resolution involves several legitimate points, I strongly oppose going to war with Iran.

SUPPORT the Treaty Ratification Amendment.

OPPOSE the Good Neighbor Resolution. This bill amounts to introducing the filibuster to the Atlasian Senate. While it is meant to apply only to foreign policy, the bill is vulnerable to broader interpretations that might excuse blocking almost any bill. This would paralyze the Atlasian government.

SUPPORT the Anti-Conscription Compromise Amendment.

OPPOSEthe Atlasia-Israel Defense and Security Cooperation Treaty. Our foreign policy should not privilege the interests of any nation other than Atlasia.

QUALIFIED SUPPORTfor the FoxConn Embargo and Imports Labor Oversight Committee. While I support the creation of a Labor Oversight Committee, I do not believe that enough evidence has been presented to merit singling out FoxConn for investigation.

PART III - QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS

I understand that this sketch is vague and incomplete. You deserve answers and explanations from me on this topic especially, because you cannot refer to my record. The floor is yours. Ask me anything.

Scott
YaBB God
United States
View Profile
« Reply #90 on: September 01, 2012, 08:17:22 pm »
Ignore

Do you see China's alleged currency manipulations as a threat to our economy?  Would you bring up these allegations in talks with Chinese leadership?
Alfred F. Jones
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 01, 2012, 08:20:45 pm »
Ignore

Do you support intervention in Syria? Why or why not?

SJoyce
sjoycefla
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 01, 2012, 08:41:09 pm »
Ignore

I'm proud that I wrote the majority of bills you oppose Tongue

Endorsed.

AverroŽs Nix
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 01, 2012, 09:10:45 pm »
Ignore

Do you see China's alleged currency manipulations as a threat to our economy?  Would you bring up these allegations in talks with Chinese leadership?

That depends! The effect of Chinese currency manipulation is a stronger dollar. During a time of high unemployment, we should be attempting to boost aggregate demand through an expansionary monetary policy, and a strong dollar runs counter to this goal.

Whether this is a problem depends on the extent of the currency manipulation. For now, I favor labeling China a currency manipulator and openly expressing our objections to that manipulation. In the long run, the most effective method by which we can minimize the influence of any currency manipulator is reducing our national debt.

Do you support intervention in Syria? Why or why not?

While the atrocities of the Assad regime disgust me, I do not support intervention in Syria. As it is unclear how a foreign intervention would succeed in ending the violence and restoring order, I am forced to conclude that only the Syrian people can re-establish the institutions that will save their country. Unfortunately, there is reason to suspect that this will be a long, bloody process.

Should the violence bleed over into any neighboring country, I would support the right of that government to take military action in response. Otherwise, I do not support international involvement unless 1) the Syrian people somehow indicate their consent to it, 2) we have reason to believe that our involvement can make a real, lasting difference with minimal bloodshed, and 3) we can build a broad coalition.

I should note that the international community is not entirely powerless. While I understand the desire to see Assad punished for his crimes, I think that by providing Assad and his family with a way out - a place to live the remainder of their lives in security, anonymity, and comfort - the international community could contribute to stabilizing the country. (Just as importantly, we would improve the incentives for other dictators to step down with minimal bloodshed in the future.)

Any follow ups?
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 09:12:28 pm by AverroŽs Nix »Logged

AverroŽs Nix
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 01, 2012, 09:15:04 pm »
Ignore

Endorsed.

I'm proud to have your endorsement, SJoyce. Do you have any questions about my opposition to those bills?

SJoyce
sjoycefla
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: September 01, 2012, 09:43:02 pm »
Ignore

Endorsed.

I'm proud to have your endorsement, SJoyce. Do you have any questions about my opposition to those bills?

No; I'll readily acknowledge that some of those bills were rather frivolous and that if I were in the Senate I probably would have opposed them, but the Antarctica one wasn't entirely foreign-policy related (it was an IDS bill) and the Israel one was me doing my job as SoEA (it was a discussion we needed to have).

Warner for Senate '14
benconstine
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: September 01, 2012, 09:52:38 pm »
Ignore

You and I are going to engage in bloody brawls on every foreign policy bill.  That said, totally endorsed.

Obama High's debate team:

"Now let me be clear...I...I...um...uh...now let me be clear.  I strongly condemn the affirmative in the strongest possible terms, and I am closely monitoring their arguments.  Let me be clear on this."
AverroŽs Nix
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: September 12, 2012, 09:39:29 am »
Ignore

The special election to fill two vacancies on the Northeast Assembly will begin this Friday. I will endorse two candidates before then.

You and I are going to engage in bloody brawls on every foreign policy bill.  That said, totally endorsed.

I look forward to it, Ben. Thank you for your support.

My next campaign speech, scheduled for this weekend, will focus on education policy. As with my foreign policy speech, I'll field related questions afterward.

AverroŽs Nix
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: September 13, 2012, 09:41:50 pm »
Ignore

OFFICIAL ENDORSEMENTS: SEPTEMBER SPECIAL ELECTION FOR NORTHEAST ASSEMBLY

I endorse CJO Belgiansocialist and Interim Representative Simfan34.

Both have proven their commitment and competence through service to the Northeast. As CJO, Belgiansocialist has always provided me and the Northeast Assembly with prompt and thoughtful legal counsel at our request. Simfan has been one of the most active politicians in the Northeast for several months, and our ongoing capital relocation project is largely the product of his efforts. His recent absence was for understandable personal reasons; I do not hold it against him, and I encourage voters to do likewise.

Both of these candidates would bring novel perspectives to assembly debate. I admire many elements of Simfan's right-wing communitarianism, and Belgiansocialist could offer some sorely-needed skepticism the region's liberal status quo.

That is all.

AverroŽs Nix
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #99 on: September 23, 2012, 10:36:17 am »
Ignore

At a speech today in Pittsburgh, Northeast Governor Averroës Nix unveiled a plan for economic growth that outlines how he would pursue improving the Atlasian economy as a Senator.

The 7-Point Nix Plan for Economic Growth

1. Implement a major program of strategic investment in infrastructure, including extending Atlasia's high-speed rail network; replacing century-old municipal water, sewer, and gas systems; repairing roads, bridges, and highways; expanding airports and seaports; working toward universal access to high-speed internet; and renewing our nation's electrical grid.

2. Pursue and expand free trade agreements, especially those with countries with growing economies and positive or improving records of respect for democracy, human rights, workers' rights, free speech, and the environment. I would prioritize the following relationships: Canada, Mexico, Brazil, Japan, Germany, the United Kingdom, France, the Philippines, South Korea, Venezuela, Peru, Chile, Argentina, South Africa, Ghana, Indonesia, Turkey.

3. Enact temporary cuts to payroll and corporate taxes to encourage hiring. These cuts must expire when unemployment has reached an acceptable level (~5%).

4. Simplify all kinds of regulations and the tax code without reducing the effectiveness of either.

5. Expand access to all kinds of post-secondary education.

6. Open our borders to high-skill immigrants, especially those with education, training, or experience in STEM fields.

7. Relax our patent laws to encourage innovation.

As with my earlier statement on foreign policy, I highly encourage any questions. I would be glad to expand on any of these points or to respond to any criticism

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 11 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout