Computer machine failed completely, as they are wont to do
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:41:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Computer machine failed completely, as they are wont to do
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Computer machine failed completely, as they are wont to do  (Read 577 times)
opebo
Atlas Legend

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 23, 2012, 06:33:43 AM »

My lap-top computer at home continues to function, though barely (typically takes about 5-10 minute to perform even the simplest action, like loading a page or posting on here), but my office computer has completely 'packed it in' as they say.

Two weeks ago, when it was switched on, it simply sat there clicking with the stupid little DVD light flashing, and wouldn't start up at all.  After the technician came and removed a DVD that was in there, it would start again, though with some problems.

Then today it wouldn't start, and had the same clicking, even though there was no DVD in the offending hole.  Finally he gave me a new computer, and took away the bad one, but I would like to try to get the old one re-started at least to check to make sure I backed up all my 'filed' (mostly bullsh**t of course, but still). 

I should think this could be accomplished.. he said he would try, but I would like to know if any of you computer repair men types might have some idea about that?
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 06:43:28 AM »

I had a bug on here a few weeks ago... they told me the only way to fix it is to wipe the whole disk clean. I think it's just laziness on their part... good luck
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 06:46:28 AM »

I had a bug on here a few weeks ago... they told me the only way to fix it is to wipe the whole disk clean. I think it's just laziness on their part... good luck

Yes that is what they do 90% of the time - just re-load the entire system, whiping the disk clean. 

But in this case it seems like it could be a hardware problem or something.  Who knows.  It is amazing how trouble prone is the computer machine.  My old analog car and motorbikes are hugely more reliable.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 07:04:12 AM »

Yes that is what they do 90% of the time - just re-load the entire system, whiping the disk clean. 

But in this case it seems like it could be a hardware problem or something.  Who knows.  It is amazing how trouble prone is the computer machine.  My old analog car and motorbikes are hugely more reliable.
I agree- if people want to use this crap to run the world and it is supposed to be above human error then it should work ALL the time...sick of issues with technology
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 09:03:16 AM »

My lap-top computer at home continues to function, though barely (typically takes about 5-10 minute to perform even the simplest action, like loading a page or posting on here), but my office computer has completely 'packed it in' as they say.

Two weeks ago, when it was switched on, it simply sat there clicking with the stupid little DVD light flashing, and wouldn't start up at all.  After the technician came and removed a DVD that was in there, it would start again, though with some problems.

Then today it wouldn't start, and had the same clicking, even though there was no DVD in the offending hole.  Finally he gave me a new computer, and took away the bad one, but I would like to try to get the old one re-started at least to check to make sure I backed up all my 'filed' (mostly bullsh**t of course, but still). 

I should think this could be accomplished.. he said he would try, but I would like to know if any of you computer repair men types might have some idea about that?

Depends on whether the old computer gave up the ghost because of a problem with the hard drive or some other reason.  If it is because of some other reason, it's fairly simple to access the old data by installing the old drive as a second hard drive in the new computer.  If the drive itself went bad, probably no chance unless you want to spend hundreds of dollars, and even then there would be no guarantee.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 09:32:08 AM »

Depends on whether the old computer gave up the ghost because of a problem with the hard drive or some other reason.  If it is because of some other reason, it's fairly simple to access the old data by installing the old drive as a second hard drive in the new computer.  If the drive itself went bad, probably no chance unless you want to spend hundreds of dollars, and even then there would be no guarantee.

I doubt it is the hard drive going bad.  It just won't start.  As I say it had the same problem two weeks ago and it was 'fixed' by removing a DVD that had been left in the DVD hole. 

I have no desire of course to spend one thin dime on it, just to get the University techs to give it a try.  I'll suggest what you say about putting the hard drive into another machine.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2012, 11:09:26 AM »

Ernest's advice is what I would have said. 

But remember old guys, you don't have to use these "gadgets", feel free to surf the internet on your analog cars.  The freedom of choice is awesome that way.  You can even do your banking in person if you want to.

(and if your data is important to you, it's always good to have more than one copy of it....computers, like modern cars are awesome <snicker> pieces of technology and it's amazing to me that they work as often as they do considering the million different things that could go wrong at any given second...but again, you're always welcome to go back to the old timey stuff that never had issues like carburetor adjustments and sh**tty brakes...and no opebo I don't need opebo Rant 2B about being forced by "the man" to use these modern technologies or else be forced to do manual labor.)
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2012, 01:48:51 PM »

Provided the hard drive itself wasn't fried or hasn't already been wiped, you don't necessarily have to get the old machine fixed. You could just have the hard drive pulled out and hook it up to another machine as a second drive and get the files out that way.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2012, 05:08:08 AM »

...you're always welcome to go back to the old timey stuff that never had issues like carburetor adjustments and sh**tty brakes...and no opebo I don't need opebo Rant 2B about being forced by "the man" to use these modern technologies or else be forced to do manual labor.)

What now?  I don't recall any rant like that.  My favorite cars of the 70s and 80s had quite effective brakes, dead0man - disks in front, drums in back.  Do you revile them because they weren't 'anti-lock'? 

As for the carburetors, I never adjusted one in my life, and I recall that the mechanic only did it maybe 1-2 times over a typical 10 year span of my ownership of a car, so hardly inconvenient.

But as for my computer, I have put in a request with the tech to try to access or remove the hardy drive tomorrow.  He says he will do it (so in Thailand it means within a week, which is still pretty good.. I can't complain because I never come to the office before mid-afternoon).
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies