Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2014, 11:46:21 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Don't forget to get your 2013 Gubernatorial Endorsements and Predictions in!

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Election Archive
| |-+  2012 Elections (Moderators: Mr. Morden, Bacon King, Sheriff Buford TX Justice)
| | |-+  Here is what Mitt Romney needs -- a war hero
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Here is what Mitt Romney needs -- a war hero  (Read 1040 times)
pbrower2a
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« on: April 23, 2012, 09:10:24 am »
Ignore

The one characteristic that neither Barack Obama, Joe Biden, nor Mitt Romney can claim is active-duty military service. It is arguable that such was the greatest political asset of John McCain in 2008, and that was good enough that it made the Presidential race as close as it was for as long as it was. John McCain was legitimately a military hero. He was clearly past-prime and that showed itself. It left some questions about the readiness of Barack Obama to set military policy.

Military veterans and active-duty members of the Armed Services are a substantial part of the American electorate; they are scattered over America. They also vote. It is not clear that President Obama has resolved every question of his suitability as Commander-in-Chief to the satisfaction of military people. If President Obama wins the active-service and veteran vote that he did not win in 2008, then the 2012 election will be a landslide for him.

So how about it?

Your political compass

Economic Left/Right: -7.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.49
President William McKinley
clarence
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 09:17:53 am »
Ignore

I agree 100%

Out of many, I believe some one such as Duncan Hunter (either, but talking about the first here) would be perfect... former Army Ranger, Bronze Star and Vietnam service, former Chairman of House Armed Services Committee, and a consistent conservative

memphis
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.10, S: -3.83

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 10:08:54 am »
Ignore

I think John Kerry would be a great pick. Oh and please save the mods some trouble and deposit these threads directly into the GOP VP speculation megathread.

I was naturally suited to be a lawyer, almost from birth. It was as if, almost, God had willed it. He meant for me to be here, to punish you, and then punish you some more.
I refuse to die a martyrs death here, because you know why?  Martyrs are still dead.
ShadowOfTheWave
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 12:25:27 pm »
Ignore

I agree 100%

Out of many, I believe some one such as Duncan Hunter (either, but talking about the first here) would be perfect... former Army Ranger, Bronze Star and Vietnam service, former Chairman of House Armed Services Committee, and a consistent conservative

Duncan Hunter has no moderate appeal whatsoever, for every conservative vote he gains for Romney he'll lose an independent.
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 12:26:31 pm »
Ignore

I agree 100%

Duncan Hunter has no moderate appeal whatsoever, for every conservative vote he gains for Romney he'll lose an independent.

This....

This is also how McCain lost.

"Weezy F Baby and the F is for Phenomenal" - Lil' Wayne

"Look at this photograph/Every time I do it makes me laugh/How did our eyes get so red?/And what the hell is on Joey's head?" - Nickelback
Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 12:31:31 pm »
Ignore

I remember in 2008, some people were saying on a Romney site that if Romney won the nomination and picked Hunter he would win California. lol

If he could get him through the Senate, he would be a great Homeland Security Secretary.

He's BACK!!! His Time Has Come Once Again! Now We're All Gonna Die! No One is Safe From His Wrath!

Chaddyr23
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.19, S: -5.83

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2012, 03:25:41 pm »
Ignore

"War heroes" don't exist anymore
President William McKinley
clarence
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2012, 03:28:51 pm »
Ignore

"War heroes" don't exist anymore
Please elaborate

Pictor Ignotus
TCash101
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2012, 04:02:52 pm »
Ignore

Hagel

Renew our Democracy!
Napoleon
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2012, 04:25:29 pm »
Ignore

Saxby Chambliss. Comes with the added benefit of giving Romney an advantage in GA and neighboring FL.

Please Senators, don't let the Russians, a folk of alcoholic homophobic, take Crimee
Mr. Morden
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2012, 04:31:21 pm »

Is McDonnell the only veep prospect that's widely being talked about with military experience?

HOG & Blondie: A Tale of Atlas Future

What is your opinion of this thread?

Watch Dave being briefed by the mods.

Being a moderator is basically like one giant party.  Except you're the one ruining the party and everyone hates you.
fezzyfestoon
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2012, 04:37:25 pm »
Ignore

I've never understood the connection between military experience and politics. It's not like the President really makes military decisions anymore anyway. And what else is there, immediate, unquestioned loyalty to the demands of superiors?
ShadowOfTheWave
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2012, 04:38:48 pm »
Ignore

Saxby Chambliss. Comes with the added benefit of giving Romney an advantage in GA and neighboring FL.

He could barely win GA in a presidential year and is also a douchebag.
oakvale
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2012, 04:41:04 pm »
Ignore

Chambliss is one of the worst people in the Senate. I can't imagine he'd be a good national candidate.

Senior Associate Justice of the Supreme Court in Atlasia.
GRIMES FOR KENTUCKY SENATOR
Napoleon
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2012, 05:46:33 pm »
Ignore

Chambliss is one of the worst people in the Senate. I can't imagine he'd be a good national candidate.

Yeah but Romney needs to lock up Florida. Otherwise he needs to pick Pawlenty and win WI and MN.

Please Senators, don't let the Russians, a folk of alcoholic homophobic, take Crimee
ajb
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2012, 06:01:18 pm »
Ignore

I'm presuming this was a joke, right?
Napoleon
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2012, 06:08:20 pm »
Ignore

Yes. Chambliss sucks.

ajb
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2012, 06:11:35 pm »
Ignore

Yes. Chambliss sucks.

... and has the opposite of a military record.
cavalcade
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -3.13

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2012, 07:09:01 pm »
Ignore

Is McDonnell the only veep prospect that's widely being talked about with military experience?

I looked at the reasonable (~1% and up) prospects on Intrade and it appears to be so.

Just for fun, here are the Republican Senators with military experience:

Scott Brown
Thad Cochran (MS)
Michael Enzi (WY)
Lindsey Graham
James Inhofe
Johnny Isakson (GA)
Richard Lugar
John McCain
Pat Roberts (KS)
Jeff Sessions (AL)
Roger Wicker (MS)
Mark Kirk (IL)
Dan Coats (IN)

Of those, Brown, Enzi, and Isakson were in the National Guard.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 07:21:26 pm by cavalcade »Logged
Joe Republic
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2012, 07:11:03 pm »
Ignore

Bennett isn't a senator any more, for what it's worth.  Though he would certainly add some much needed balance to Romney's ticket, that's for sure!
cavalcade
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -3.13

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2012, 07:23:13 pm »
Ignore

Bennett isn't a senator any more, for what it's worth.

Yep, looked him up myself and edited, was apparently working off the last Congress.  Should be accurate now with the addition of Kirk and Coats.
Senator Meiji (D-NC)
sjoycefla
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.03, S: -8.96

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2012, 08:02:27 pm »
Ignore

The part of Florida Chambliss would help in Romney has already won. Chambliss does not appeal to the central/south Floridian; his appeal is with the North Florida, Panhandle-area people who are typically already conservatives. The only counties he might possibly be able to flip to Romney are Jefferson County and possibly Alachua, but neither of those are likely.

Napoleon
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2012, 08:50:23 pm »
Ignore

Yeah I was just making a (bad) joke. Welcome to the forum btw.

SoEA Superique
Superique
YaBB God
Brazil

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2012, 08:56:26 pm »
Ignore

Vice Admiral James Stockdale! He would crash anyone on the debate!

"When people want less of taxes and more of everything else, you've got a problem." Jerry Brown

"Government has become so vast and impersonal that its interests diverge more and more from the interests of ordinary citizens." George McGovern

"Don't pray for easy lives, pray to be stronger man." John F. Kennedy
Senator Meiji (D-NC)
sjoycefla
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.03, S: -8.96

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2012, 08:56:46 pm »
Ignore

Yeah I was just making a (bad) joke. Welcome to the forum btw.

Thanks! (I've been here 2 weeks and it's been great so far)

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout