Different immigrant groups' influence on American society
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 07:29:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Different immigrant groups' influence on American society
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Different immigrant groups' influence on American society  (Read 901 times)
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 23, 2012, 04:17:38 PM »

What are some of the ways different immigrant groups influence or have influenced American society?

You can discuss politics, economics, education, arts, media, philosophy, language...the list goes on. Discuss this!
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 04:38:06 PM »

Food is my favorite.  We take a food from a place, "americanize" it and it's SOOO much better.  Take "americanized" Chinese food for instance.  Real Chinese food is all noodles and not a lot of meat and when there is meat, it's chicken (if you're from the middle of the country) and cheap fish (if you're on the coast).  Pork, beef, shrimp and the like are rare in your typical traditional Chinese guy's diet.  But here in the states, we're all about the shrimps and beefs and the porks....plus a lot more rice and a lot less noodles.  And we get a cookie instead of an orange slice for dessert.

Of course people that think they know better will be along to say how great real Chinese food is and how sh**tty "american" Chinese food is.  They are wrong.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 05:37:15 PM »

Pork, beef, shrimp and the like are rare in your typical traditional Chinese guy's diet. 

Is this supposed to be a bad thing? Smiley
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2012, 05:43:49 PM »

To me, yes...but even sans meat, Americanized Chinese is probably better....though I wouldn't know from experience Wink

(and I'm sure your average Chinese fellow would agree)
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2012, 05:57:26 PM »

Yes, it tastes good. No disagreement there. But America also has much higher rates of cardiovascular diseases than China, or even a fully developed nation like Japan. Some rates of cancer are also higher in America. The differential in rates of prostate cancer between Japan and America are just stunning.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2012, 10:47:52 PM »

So far this thread reads like community college students who skipped every class and didn't read the book trying to complete their American Studies project.

Such a broad subject though. I don't know where to begin.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2012, 11:12:47 PM »

Yes, it tastes good. No disagreement there. But America also has much higher rates of cardiovascular diseases than China, or even a fully developed nation like Japan. Some rates of cancer are also higher in America. The differential in rates of prostate cancer between Japan and America are just stunning.
Indeed, but I've decided I'd rather enjoy pork and beef (and tobacco) for 60 years and then die than eat sh**t like broccoli for 80 years. 

Or at least not start worrying about it until my doc tells me I have to when I turn 50 Wink
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2012, 11:42:50 PM »

Indeed, but I've decided I'd rather enjoy pork and beef (and tobacco) for 60 years and then die than eat sh**t like broccoli for 80 years. 

Or at least not start worrying about it until my doc tells me I have to when I turn 50 Wink

are you a fat?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2012, 11:51:42 PM »

Every Indian immigrant I know seems to dearly miss the Chinese food they have in India.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2012, 11:53:30 PM »

No, just big boned. Wink

(6'1", 220....I'm ~9lbs over the high end of normal for my weight (according to the Air Force)...but ~40lbs over my "skinny" weight)
Kevin
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2012, 12:01:07 AM »
« Edited: April 24, 2012, 12:14:25 AM by Kevin »

Germans=Largest self described ethnic group in the US. Contributed to the  majority of European settlement in at least two states and helped found one major city. At least a 3 Presidents and a number of other politicians are of German descent(Hoover, Eisenhower, Nixon). Gave America hamburgers, hotdogs, and good beer.

English people=Prob the largest undeclared ethnic group of European Americans in the US; gave the US at least a dozen Presidents and legions of other leaders. In addition to founding most of the early American colonies. As well as giving the US most of the inspiration for the way of governance and institutions that exist in this country to this day.Also, later on most Mormon's in this country were English and other British immigrants who converted and immigrated to the western US and elsewhere.

Italians=Gave America the mafia, Jersey Shore, delicious food, and great actors(Ex. Al Pacino, Marlon Brando, Robert De Niro etc).

This is just amongst many of the contributions various immigrant groups have given America(for better or worse).
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2012, 01:11:11 AM »

Italians=Gave America the mafia, Jersey Shore, delicious food, and great actors(Ex. Al Pacino, Marlon Brando, Robert De Niro etc).

Brando was German-Irish.
So rightwing that I broke the Political Compass!
Rockingham

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2012, 05:09:50 AM »

Food is my favorite.  We take a food from a place, "americanize" it and it's SOOO much better.  Take "americanized" Chinese food for instance.  Real Chinese food is all noodles and not a lot of meat and when there is meat, it's chicken (if you're from the middle of the country) and cheap fish (if you're on the coast).  Pork, beef, shrimp and the like are rare in your typical traditional Chinese guy's diet.  But here in the states, we're all about the shrimps and beefs and the porks....plus a lot more rice and a lot less noodles.  And we get a cookie instead of an orange slice for dessert.

Of course people that think they know better will be along to say how great real Chinese food is and how sh**tty "american" Chinese food is.  They are wrong.
Agree except I massively prefer noodles to rice.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2012, 06:26:16 AM »

Well.. you know American Chinese food is just ok, and original Chinese food is ok too, though hardly my favorite.  However in general Americanization of cuisines is not an improvement.  For example Thai food in Thailand is so much better its almost unrecognizable. 

Not sure about Indian, my other favorite.  But I believe that in general Italian has been brought down several notches in the USA, unless you're in a very high-end restaurant.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2012, 07:45:59 AM »

Well.. you know American Chinese food is just ok, and original Chinese food is ok too, though hardly my favorite.  However in general Americanization of cuisines is not an improvement.  For example Thai food in Thailand is so much better its almost unrecognizable. 

Not sure about Indian, my other favorite.  But I believe that in general Italian has been brought down several notches in the USA, unless you're in a very high-end restaurant.

Italian in America means Olive Garden.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2012, 08:34:30 AM »

The best Thai food I ever had was in a little hole in the wall dive place ran by a Thai family in a suburb of Panama City FL.  It was a nasty little place, but damn that food was hot as a mofo.  It may or may not have been "authentic", I don't know or care because it was so damn good.  The couple of other times I had "Thai" food, it was indistinguishable (at least to my uncultured palate) from Americanized Chinese food.
You must be logged in to read this quote.
I've probably never even had "real" Italian.  I know I don't like americanized Italian much...well, I like homemade spaghetti and lasagna and such, but not any of the restaurants I've been drug to over the years.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2012, 08:46:12 PM »
« Edited: April 24, 2012, 08:50:55 PM by Senator Sbane »

Every Indian immigrant I know seems to dearly miss the Chinese food they have in India.

Yes, Indo-Chinese food is actually quite good. And obviously the best examples will be found in Calcutta and the Northeast. Shillong is famous for it.
Linus Van Pelt

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2012, 09:10:54 PM »

Are there no Bengali-style Hakka restaurants in the Bay Area? There's a handful of them in Toronto.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2012, 09:15:17 PM »

Are there no Bengali-style Hakka restaurants in the Bay Area? There's a handful of them in Toronto.

Mmmm....Hakka noodles....anyways no, there are none that I am aware of. Although there is a place in Dublin,CA that does sell Hakka noodles along with lots of other Indian fast food like Chaat and such and Ameri-Indian fusion like Indian style pizza. Actually would that be considered Ameritadian cuisine? I'm not even sure.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2012, 09:22:32 PM »

I'll certainly let my parents know about that if they find themselves in Toronto.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies