Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 24, 2014, 03:33:19 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Atlas Hardware Upgrade complete October 13, 2013.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Election Archive
| |-+  2012 Elections (Moderators: Mr. Morden, Bacon King, Sheriff Buford TX Justice)
| | |-+  Mitt, Man Of The People: I'm only two generations away from a non-millionaire
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Mitt, Man Of The People: I'm only two generations away from a non-millionaire  (Read 912 times)
Joe Republic
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« on: April 23, 2012, 08:31:53 pm »
Ignore

GREENCASTLE, Pa.Mitt Romney is known as a man with millions of dollars, but he wants Americans to know that his grandfather wasn't one.

"My dad's dad went broke more than once," the former Massachusetts governor told 200 or so people who had gathered Sunday for the local Lincoln Day dinner in this southern Pennsylvania community. "And my dad learned lessons about the importance of family and of faith and had a great and abiding affection for this country -- lessons he taught me."

The brief biography was a not-so-subtle rejoinder to a claim Democratic President Barack Obama made last week. "I wasn't born with a silver spoon in my mouth," Obama said -- a line his spokesman later said wasn't aimed at his presumptive Republican opponent.

[...]

Romney's father was George Romney, the former Michigan governor and president of American Motors. As his youngest son, Mitt Romney grew up in the tony Detroit suburb of Bloomfield Hills, attended prep school and eventually graduated from the business and law schools at Harvard.

[...]

Romney often says his dad grew up poor. But while George Romney's parents did face a series of difficult circumstances, they knew wealth as well as financial hardship.

Romney's grandfather, Gaskell Romney, was a carpenter who led a prosperous life in a Mormon colony in Mexico, according to the book "The Real Romney," written by two Boston Globe reporters. When Romney's father was born there, the family was wealthy -- until the Mexican revolution forced many of the colony's residents to flee back to the United States, when George was about five years old.

The Romney family lost most of its money and moved from state to state. Gaskell eventually found success again as a builder in Utah, but lost much of his money again in the Great Depression.

Real Americans (and Big Sky Bob) demand to know.

I just slept for 11 hours, so I should need a nap today, but we'll see.
True Federalist
Ernest
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 09:15:05 pm »
Ignore

"Dad's dad"?  Granted, "granddad" isn't as precise, but that's what everyone would have assumed he was talking about and it sounds right. Altho, IIRC, mom's dad was fairly well off as well.

Mitt's efforts to appear to be ordinary always seem off-tone to me.  I don't see them as helping him, and to a certain extent they hurt him.  His justification for being the better choice for President has always been that he knows what to do with money, so pretending to be just folks mutes that theme.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 09:17:03 pm by Missouri Fox Trotter »Logged

My ballot:
Ervin(I) Gov.
Sellers(D) Lt. Gov.
Hammond(R) Sec. of State
Diggs(D) Att. Gen.
Herbert(D) Comptroller Gen.
Spearman(R) Supt. of Education
DeFelice(American) Commissioner of Agriculture
Hutto(D/Working Families) US Sen (full)
Scott(R) US Sen (special)
Geddings(Labor) US House SC-2
Quinn(R) SC House District 69
TBD: Lex 1 School Board
Yes: Am. 1 (allow charity raffles)
No: Am. 2 (end election of the Adj. General)
No: Local Sales Tax
Yes: Temp Beer/Wine Permits
○∙◄☻tπ[╪AV┼cV└
jfern
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2012, 11:07:42 pm »
Ignore

Well, by the the time Mitt was a kid, his daddy was pretty rich and famous.

But I guess compared to George W Bush, where you have to go back 4 paternal generations to find a someone who might not have been a millionaire (still a Yale alumni though), he's not quite as blue blood.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 11:09:15 pm by ○∙◄☻tπ[╪AV┼cV└ »Logged
Snowstalker
YaBB God
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -8.45, S: -4.26

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 11:26:48 am »
Ignore

Wasn't Mitt's grandpa a polygamist?

wormyguy
YaBB God
Liechtenstein

Political Matrix
E: 4.52, S: -1.57

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2012, 12:15:51 pm »
Ignore

That's also the number of generations you have to go back in Obama's family to find someone who was never a millionaire...
CultureKing
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2012, 12:31:54 pm »
Ignore

That's also the number of generations you have to go back in Obama's family to find someone who was never a millionaire...

Obama's parents were millionaires?

Econ: -6.50, Social: -5.23
They call me PR
Progressive Realist
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2012, 12:37:40 pm »
Ignore

It's wormyguy.
wormyguy
YaBB God
Liechtenstein

Political Matrix
E: 4.52, S: -1.57

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2012, 12:38:19 pm »
Ignore

Not when he was born, but later in life yes.  (Romney's parents weren't millionaires when he was born either).
True Federalist
Ernest
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2012, 01:43:21 pm »
Ignore

Wasn't Mitt's grandpa a polygamist?

Great-grandpa.  Grandpa had only the one wife.

My ballot:
Ervin(I) Gov.
Sellers(D) Lt. Gov.
Hammond(R) Sec. of State
Diggs(D) Att. Gen.
ibarnes
United States

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2012, 02:15:57 pm »
Ignore

Not when he was born, but later in life yes.  (Romney's parents weren't millionaires when he was born either).

I'd like to see some evidence of this (Obama's parents were millionaires later in life). On what do you base this claim?
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 02:53:32 pm by ibarnes »Logged
opebo
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2012, 02:45:06 pm »
Ignore

(Romney's parents weren't millionaires when he was born either).

That's not very believable. 

The essence of democracy at its purest is a lynch mob

Mechaman
YaBB God
Jamaica

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2012, 02:55:35 pm »
Ignore

Wow, that is like so amazing.

17:20   bore   the point of atlasia is to achieve things which you can then use as pick up lines
True Federalist
Ernest
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2012, 03:19:21 pm »
Ignore

(Romney's parents weren't millionaires when he was born either).

That's not very believable. 

Mitt was born in 1947, George was at the time working for the Automobile Manufacturers Association.  It was a decent middle-class job, but not millionaire territory. In 1948 he went to work for Nash-Kelvinator (one of the forerunners of AMC) and when Nash-Kelvinator merged with Hudson to become American Motors Corporation, George was tapped to become CEO's.  But that was still in an era when income tax rates were confiscatory and unless they owned stock, CEO's of major corporations did not become millionaires.  It also was in a era when a million dollars was a lot more money than it is today.

So while George was upper middle class when Mitt was born and later rose to become upper class, it's quite believable that he wasn't a millionaire at the time.

My ballot:
Ervin(I) Gov.
Sellers(D) Lt. Gov.
Hammond(R) Sec. of State
Diggs(D) Att. Gen.
opebo
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2012, 03:24:27 pm »
Ignore

So while George was upper middle class when Mitt was born and later rose to become upper class, it's quite believable that he wasn't a millionaire at the time.

I'm sure they were more than millionaires in 2012 dollars.

○∙◄☻tπ[╪AV┼cV└
jfern
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2012, 09:12:10 pm »
Ignore

I'm sure they were more than millionaires in 2012 dollars.

Exactly, and I'm sure by the time Mitt was in HS, his daddy was a millionaire in non adjusted dollars.
Politico
YaBB God
View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2012, 09:14:36 pm »
Ignore

God forbid somebody choose to be born to wealthy parents. Mitt made such a poor choice when he chose his parents! He should have chosen to be born to other parents, preferably poor ones because there is nobility in being poor. George Romney did not deserve all of that income/wealth as a result of his time and labor. It all should have been sent to Washington, DC, so that our wise bureaucrats could redistribute it to hard-working welfare recipients.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 09:17:33 pm by Politico »Logged

"Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."

- Bastiat
○∙◄☻tπ[╪AV┼cV└
jfern
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2012, 09:16:31 pm »
Ignore

God forbid somebody choose to be born to wealthy parents. Mitt made such a poor choice when he chose his parents! He should have chosen to be born to other parents. George did not deserve all of that income/wealth. All of it should have been sent to Washington, DC.

We would never of heard of Mitt if he hadn't been born to someone as rich and famous as his daddy.
Politico
YaBB God
View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2012, 09:20:25 pm »
Ignore

God forbid somebody choose to be born to wealthy parents. Mitt made such a poor choice when he chose his parents! He should have chosen to be born to other parents. George did not deserve all of that income/wealth. All of it should have been sent to Washington, DC.

We would never of heard of Mitt if he hadn't been born to someone as rich and famous as his daddy.

Just like we never would have heard of Barack Obama, Bill Clinton, Richard Nixon, etc. had they not been born to someone as rich and famous as their parents, right?

When did you become infected by Eurotrash propaganda, good sir?

"Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."

- Bastiat
True Federalist
Ernest
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2012, 09:23:58 pm »
Ignore

God forbid somebody choose to be born to wealthy parents. Mitt made such a poor choice when he chose his parents! He should have chosen to be born to other parents, preferably poor ones because there is nobility in being poor. George Romney did not deserve all of that income/wealth as a result of his time and labor. It all should have been sent to Washington, DC, so that our wise bureaucrats could redistribute it to hard-working welfare recipients.

Despite being so over the top as to be laughable, Politico is giving a better defense of Romney's background than Romney himself has.

My ballot:
Ervin(I) Gov.
Sellers(D) Lt. Gov.
Hammond(R) Sec. of State
Diggs(D) Att. Gen.
○∙◄☻tπ[╪AV┼cV└
jfern
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2012, 09:29:47 pm »
Ignore

Just like we never would have heard of Barack Obama, Bill Clinton, Richard Nixon, etc. had they not been born to someone as rich and famous as their parents, right?

Yes, we would have never heard of  William Jefferson Blythe III or Leslie Lynch King, Jr. Oh wait.
They call me PR
Progressive Realist
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2012, 10:54:22 pm »
Ignore

Trololol
IDS Ex-Speaker Ben Kenobi
Ben Kenobi
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2012, 11:24:25 pm »
Ignore

Personally, why support the new money when you can support a real blue blood, like Rawn Pawl.

I was going to support Romney, but now that I see his father wasn't born into money, I changed my mind.

"By not voting, you would let someone win who wants to destroy the regions, raise taxes, remove guns from the street, nationalize transit, expand abortion coverage, a gut the military." - Hagrid
○∙◄☻tπ[╪AV┼cV└
jfern
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2012, 12:31:06 am »
Ignore

His wife is definitely a woman of the people.

I love the fact that there are women out there who dont have a choice and they must go to work and they still have to raise the kids.

opebo
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2012, 05:55:59 am »
Ignore

Precisely.  An exploiter and class-enemy should automatically be disqualified from receiving the vote of any person who has to toil - that is, is exploited.   The people should call for his beheading, not his election.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout