Mitt, Man Of The People: I'm only two generations away from a non-millionaire (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:51:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Mitt, Man Of The People: I'm only two generations away from a non-millionaire (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Mitt, Man Of The People: I'm only two generations away from a non-millionaire  (Read 1937 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: April 23, 2012, 09:15:05 PM »
« edited: April 23, 2012, 09:17:03 PM by Missouri Fox Trotter »

"Dad's dad"?  Granted, "granddad" isn't as precise, but that's what everyone would have assumed he was talking about and it sounds right. Altho, IIRC, mom's dad was fairly well off as well.

Mitt's efforts to appear to be ordinary always seem off-tone to me.  I don't see them as helping him, and to a certain extent they hurt him.  His justification for being the better choice for President has always been that he knows what to do with money, so pretending to be just folks mutes that theme.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 01:43:21 PM »

Great-grandpa.  Grandpa had only the one wife.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 03:19:21 PM »

(Romney's parents weren't millionaires when he was born either).

That's not very believable. 

Mitt was born in 1947, George was at the time working for the Automobile Manufacturers Association.  It was a decent middle-class job, but not millionaire territory. In 1948 he went to work for Nash-Kelvinator (one of the forerunners of AMC) and when Nash-Kelvinator merged with Hudson to become American Motors Corporation, George was tapped to become CEO's.  But that was still in an era when income tax rates were confiscatory and unless they owned stock, CEO's of major corporations did not become millionaires.  It also was in a era when a million dollars was a lot more money than it is today.

So while George was upper middle class when Mitt was born and later rose to become upper class, it's quite believable that he wasn't a millionaire at the time.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 09:23:58 PM »

God forbid somebody choose to be born to wealthy parents. Mitt made such a poor choice when he chose his parents! He should have chosen to be born to other parents, preferably poor ones because there is nobility in being poor. George Romney did not deserve all of that income/wealth as a result of his time and labor. It all should have been sent to Washington, DC, so that our wise bureaucrats could redistribute it to hard-working welfare recipients.

Despite being so over the top as to be laughable, Politico is giving a better defense of Romney's background than Romney himself has.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies