Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 28, 2014, 02:02:50 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Don't forget to get your 2013 Gubernatorial Endorsements and Predictions in!

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Politics
| |-+  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderator: muon2)
| | |-+  the Driftless Area
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: the Driftless Area  (Read 2226 times)
Linus Van Pelt
YaBB God

View Profile
« on: April 24, 2012, 03:24:28 pm »
Ignore

The Driftless Area or Paleozoic Plateau is a region in the American Midwest noted mainly for its deeply carved river valleys ... primarily in southwest Wisconsin ... This region's peculiar terrain is due to its having escaped glaciation in the last glacial period.

Discuss.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 03:26:19 pm by The Great Pumpkin »Logged
only back for the worldcup
Lewis Trondheim
YaBB God
India

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2012, 03:44:36 pm »
Ignore

That Dem riverbelt extends outside of Wisconsin, though.

"The secret to having a rewarding work-life balance is to have no life. Then it's easy to keep things balanced by doing no work." Wally

"Our party do not have any ideology... Our main aim is to grab power ... Every one is doing so but I say it openly." Keshav Dev Maurya
Linus Van Pelt
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 06:44:01 pm »
Ignore

That Dem riverbelt extends outside of Wisconsin, though.

All right, how about this, then? Tongue

freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2012, 11:46:04 am »
Ignore

http://verseau.wordpress.com/2010/06/05/geographic-curiosities-the-east-west-divide-in-wisconsin/

-1.38, -1.38
Torie
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 10:03:50 am »
Ignore

Does the presence of hard pressed dairy farms in Western Wisconsin have anything to do with the political divide?

Sibboleth
Realpolitik
YaBB God
Saint Helena

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2012, 11:30:33 am »
Ignore

Ah, very interesting. I suppose the next question would be how this landscape has shaped (recent!) human settlement patterns/economic activity/etc, and how this is different from nearby (and more prone to political conservatism) agricultural areas.

"I have become entangled in my own data, and my conclusion stands in direct contradiction to the initial idea from which I started. Proceeding from unlimited freedom, I end with unlimited despotism. I will add, however, that there can be no solution of the social formula except mine."
Linus Van Pelt
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2012, 09:47:31 pm »
Ignore

Bump.

This effect remained strong this election, as has been noted a couple of other places, and may be even increasing in some areas.

Interestingly, this actually isn't an area of traditional Democratic farm populism, as you'll see if you compare 2012 in any of the affected states to, say, 1976 or 1988. In NE Iowa and the SE corner of Minnesota, Obama won counties that never voted Dem in any of the three elections with Mondale on the ticket or in the 1988 farm crisis. And in Illinois the contrast is even more dramatic; in the NW there are even a few Goldwater/Obama '12 counties. In general NW Illinois seems to be splitting off from the downstate.

Both here and in northern New England, it seems like the combination of hillier small farms and a kind of northern, non-Evangelical culture has led to an increased Dem rural vote in recent years, even though many areas with just one without the other have been very GOP.
I Can't Believe It's Not Murder!
Angry_Weasel
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2012, 03:52:11 pm »
Ignore

Aren't there a lot of small dense  John-Deere type manufacturing cities there, like the Quad Cities (which, combined is roughly the size of Des Moines), Dubuque and Rochester, MN that somehow haven't been inudated by Reagan Democrat/evangelical/anti-labor service industry types?

That's the best explanation that I can come up with and I lived there one summer. These small cities/large towns have a lot of minorities in them. Similar cities anywhere else aren't strong Republican, but probably give republicans high single digits in Presidential elections and probably are represented 2:1 Republican at the local level. These cities seem lean D.

Again, its probably because there has been little Southern migration.

Effective policing requires to know when backing down is in the best interest of public safety.  By all accounts, the culture of the Ferguson Police was ignorant of that fact, and instead treated Cartman of South Park as a role model for how to be a police officer.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout