"I am a closet Christian"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 10:11:00 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  "I am a closet Christian"
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: "I am a closet Christian"  (Read 1795 times)
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 02, 2012, 12:40:15 AM »

Thoughts on this article? It's over two years old but I recently stumbled on it: http://www.salon.com/2009/12/21/closet_christian

I found it pretty interesting being one of the very few people in this country who likely knows more closet Christians than closet atheists, considering all the anti-religious rhetoric in my scene those who don't buy in into it usually just find it easier to keep quiet, which I basically do as well. In 2009 in Indiana when serving as the ride to other guys I was staying with to the venue I remember them pointing out some local from Minneapolis band I was playing in the car "sounded Christian" and explained they weren't (though admittedly yes they did kind of have a sound more similar to Christian bands of that style), though at least some of the members apparently were but never mentioned that I was Christian because a theological debate was the last thing I wanted there, nor did I mention it even once that weekend despite the constant jokes about Christians and bashing that went on. I also recall having a conversation like this on a P2P network when I was about 19 or so:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Something like that, but the other guy was obviously expecting me to say "no" and go on some rant about how much I hated the place and everyone who went there (well the latter part was mostly true.) So yeah it would've been easier just to have done so.

But pretty interesting, this type of thing definitely is more common than most realize. And no, I am most certainly not trying to claim that discrimination against atheists is not far more common (nor is the author of the article from what I can tell.)
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 01:35:30 AM »

I'm not "scene" obviously, but I just did a quick head count of my regular circle of friends and I counted only two open Christians.  I suspect there are more in the closet, but yeah, it usually disappoints me to learn the fact.  Mainly because they inevitably start posting streams of Bible references in their FB feed, like both of those friends.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 08:24:32 AM »

It's definitely true in Sweden, where religion is typically ridiculed (as long as it's Christianity, at least).
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 10:16:28 AM »

Amongst people I know, they tend to designate themselves Catholic or Protestant as opposed to ‘Christian’ . It’s a cultural thing really. The only ones who tend to be shy about talking about it tend not to have that strong a faith; they tend to be wavering in their belief, or not that keen on saying they don’t believe, because ‘atheist’ or even ‘agnostic’ can still be a dirty word. We live in a society that is suspect of taking a ‘definite’ or as close a definite position as possible so that complicates things.
Redalgo
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 03:11:22 PM »

I know many more closeted atheists than Christians, and most of the latter actually happen to be Mormons. Although I can understand why folks might want to be a bit reserved about their views early on as children when their peers are often (for a lack of better words) little, bigoted bastards, I consider it somewhat cowardly to conceal them out of fear, or for the sake of better fitting in as mature adults unless one lives in a society where being open carries a substantial risk to ones life.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2012, 10:52:40 PM »

I know many more closeted atheists than Christians, and most of the latter actually happen to be Mormons. Although I can understand why folks might want to be a bit reserved about their views early on as children when their peers are often (for a lack of better words) little, bigoted bastards, I consider it somewhat cowardly to conceal them out of fear, or for the sake of better fitting in as mature adults unless one lives in a society where being open carries a substantial risk to ones life.

The way I see it is it's not something worth bringing up at the type of event where I might hear someone joking about or making fun of Christians, I want to mosh and drink, not debate theology. Besides, we're supposed to "turn the other cheek".
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2012, 08:24:16 AM »

I'm going into academia, specifically the social scientists.  You tell me how many open Christians there are around me Tongue
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2012, 10:36:42 AM »

Well one of the women who preaches at my church has a PhD in Social Psychology.
Redalgo
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2012, 11:43:07 AM »

And in most of my courses on political science my peers did not hesitate to invoke Christian aspects of cultural heritage in warding off my occasional secular reform proposals. Discussions of religion do not come up in a lot of social science classes I think since it is just not often pertinent to the subject matter at hand. Many people studying the social sciences are not Christians but so far as I can tell faith and science do not have to conflict with one another if one is mindful not to let Scripture settle ones views on the natural world or science settle those on the supernatural. Incidentally, one of the best professors I had in college was just as much a believer and scholar of theology as he was one of cultures and American society.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies