The sola scriptura OT church
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 03:29:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  The sola scriptura OT church
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: The sola scriptura OT church  (Read 3503 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2012, 10:57:12 AM »

Just to be clear, what I find illogical about your approach to scripture is that you begin with axioms concerning it and never consider whether those axioms are correct or even if they are important.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2012, 01:13:17 PM »

Ernest, I don't see how Jesus' rejection of the teachings of the Samaritans can even be called into doubt, given Jesus' visitation to the Temple of Jerusalem and making it clear that he thought the Temple was his Father's house, not Mt. Gezrim.  If he bought the Samaritan message, wouldn't he have tried to purify and cleanse his Father's house up on top of the mountain?

Furthermore, the Samaritans, while sola scriptura, only believed in a Bible that contained the Pentateuch alone, while Jesus etc. refer to the Prophets and the Writings extensively.
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2012, 07:51:23 PM »

I see the ministry of Jesus as being a bit more universalist than the traditionalists view it Mikado.  The only significant difference between the Samaritans and the Jews was over where the temple was to be placed and who was to be the head priest.  They both worshiped God and both followed the Five Books.  Given that God seems to have done reasonably well these past twenty centuries without a house of his own, one has to wonder if the institution of a singular temple was established for God's purposes or for man's.

In the time of Jesus there was no temple atop Mt. Gerizim.  There was one in Jerusalem.  That Jesus accepted it as his father's house, need not imply that it was his father's only house.  Incidentally, the word usually translated as "high" in Luke 4:5 (and the other synoptic accounts of the devil tempting Jesus) is also translated as "exalted" or "esteemed" in Luke 16:15 (and other NT verses).  While it is highly speculative, might the "high" mountain to which the devil led Jesus been intended to be Mt. Gerizim?
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2012, 01:20:30 PM »

Ernest, I don't see how Jesus' rejection of the teachings of the Samaritans can even be called into doubt...

have you come to torture Ernest with logic before the appointed time?
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2012, 02:49:59 PM »

Ernest, I don't see how Jesus' rejection of the teachings of the Samaritans can even be called into doubt...

have you come to torture Ernest with logic before the appointed time?

I answered Mikado's points.  If you have a stronger case to make, please make it.  At this time, that Jesus' living ministry was more inclusive of the Samaritans than is generally presumed is an impression rather than a firmly held position of mine.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #30 on: May 10, 2012, 03:53:42 PM »

If you have a stronger case to make, please make it. 

No one agrees with your logic except Derek - Derek stated he was in near total agreement with you...and everyone thought Derek's logical skills SUCKED!
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #31 on: May 10, 2012, 08:30:45 PM »

If you have a stronger case to make, please make it. 

No one agrees with your logic except Derek - Derek stated he was in near total agreement with you...and everyone thought Derek's logical skills SUCKED!

Ad hominem instead of logic.  I was hoping for better from you.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies