Eating dogs
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 12:31:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Eating dogs
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Poll
Question: Is it OK to eat dog meat?
Yes

Yes, but only if you are in country where its normal

No - only hotdogs

Other (specify)

Dunno

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 50

Author Topic: Eating dogs  (Read 10116 times)
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: April 28, 2012, 06:58:44 PM »

What does dog taste like anyway?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #51 on: April 28, 2012, 08:47:46 PM »

Its been years, but I remember it being delicious, though strong and gamey.  But then I like everything.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #52 on: April 28, 2012, 09:40:14 PM »

No. It goes against the sacred covenant we have with the canine species. We have coexisted for thousands of years, and they have been domesticated. They are "man's best friend". Some cultures have gone astray from this covenant, but that doesn't make eating them okay. Pigs are just as smart as dogs of course, but no covenant exists with them. They have been bred for food. Dogs have not.

I also like the inefficient argument. Why eat another carnivore (actually, aren't dogs omnivores?)

Sacred covenant?

Well, something I believe anyways. There is a special relationship between dogs and humans. Something that has existed for millenia, and something that cannot be denied.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #53 on: April 29, 2012, 01:33:56 AM »

I don't do it, but I don't really care if other people do it.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #54 on: April 29, 2012, 03:43:27 AM »

I'd be more interested in trying cat sometime (no, this is not a sexual reference.)

Ugh, now that is a meat that I can't imagine tasting anything other than wholly disgusting.
Somewhat similar to rabbit, by all accounts.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #55 on: April 29, 2012, 04:11:37 AM »

No. It goes against the sacred covenant we have with the canine species. We have coexisted for thousands of years, and they have been domesticated. They are "man's best friend". Some cultures have gone astray from this covenant, but that doesn't make eating them okay. Pigs are just as smart as dogs of course, but no covenant exists with them. They have been bred for food. Dogs have not.

I also like the inefficient argument. Why eat another carnivore (actually, aren't dogs omnivores?)

Sacred covenant?

Well, something I believe anyways. There is a special relationship between dogs and humans. Something that has existed for millenia, and something that cannot be denied.

Seems like pigs were getting the shaft convenant-wise.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #56 on: April 29, 2012, 06:47:00 AM »

I think it's sheep that get the shaft, or at least that's what the ____insert nationality or state of choice here____ tell us.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #57 on: April 29, 2012, 08:28:20 AM »

Of course -- it would be a better use for them that what Americans use them for nowadays. Hopefully this practice gains more currency in the US of A.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #58 on: April 29, 2012, 09:48:14 AM »

Now that I believe is illegal, n'est-ce pas?  Funny old world.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #59 on: April 29, 2012, 02:28:04 PM »

Sacred covenant?

Well, as smart as pigs are, what good have they done for humans besides being very tasty?
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #60 on: April 29, 2012, 04:22:38 PM »

Sacred covenant?

Well, as smart as pigs are, what good have they done for humans besides being very tasty?

http://old.post-gazette.com/neigh_west/20020409lulu0409p1.asp
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #61 on: April 29, 2012, 04:35:47 PM »

A true heroine!
The Mikado
Atlas Star

« Reply #62 on: April 29, 2012, 08:48:49 PM »

Sacred covenant?

Finding truffles?  Acting as walking compost heaps and eating our garbage?

Anyway, the "compact" point is pretty moot, given the widespread practice of eating horseflesh (an animal with an even closer bond to humans than dogs).
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #63 on: April 30, 2012, 11:07:37 AM »

Sacred covenant?

(an animal with an even closer bond to humans than dogs).

Debatable, but perhaps the same argument could be used against eating horse. At least horses are strictly herbivores.

So, where do we draw the line? Is eating chimpanzee ok?
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #64 on: April 30, 2012, 11:29:24 AM »
« Edited: April 30, 2012, 12:20:08 PM by General Buck Turgidson »

Sacred covenant?

(an animal with an even closer bond to humans than dogs).

Debatable, but perhaps the same argument could be used against eating horse. At least horses are strictly herbivores.

So, where do we draw the line? Is eating chimpanzee ok?

Nope. First of all, chimpanzees are an endangered species (well, two species actually). Some people may also consider it semi-cannibalism.

None of the two points apply to dogs.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #65 on: April 30, 2012, 11:39:34 AM »

We draw the line nowhere. We are human beings and it is our evolutionary right to eat whatever lesser specie we want whenever we want to.
Eraserhead
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #66 on: May 01, 2012, 03:27:20 AM »

We draw the line nowhere. We are human beings and it is our evolutionary right to eat whatever lesser specie we want whenever we want to.

Indeed. And while we're at it, why stop at "lesser species"? There are "lesser humans" we should be eating too. We'll start with the retarded and disabled people first.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #67 on: May 01, 2012, 08:47:33 AM »

I bet neanderthals were tasty.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #68 on: May 01, 2012, 04:32:34 PM »

Haha wow, please justify why you would eat an animal that gives you milk to feed your children or helps till your field for free? Why not draw the line before that, hmm? What does a dog provide that is of more value than a cow. You guys are being absolutely ridiculous making these comparisons to monkeys or neanderthals.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #69 on: May 01, 2012, 05:55:03 PM »
« Edited: May 01, 2012, 05:59:10 PM by Kommandant der Reichsflugscheibe Walküre II »

After having googled around a bit, I must say that the topic of dog consumption is not that uninteresting as an aspect of our own cultural history.

Up until the early 20th century eating dogs was not that uncommon in the Western world, especially some parts of Europe. For instance, this New York Times article from 1907 reported that a total of 3700 dogs had been slaughtered for the purposes of human consumption in the German state of Saxony during the year 1906. Advertisement for dog meat in German newspapers was also described as "not uncommon":
http://query.nytimes.com/mem/archive-free/pdf?_r=1&res=9B04E4D9133EE033A25750C2A9609C946697D6CF&oref=slogin

While the consumption of dogs was often the result of famine, shortages or at least an increase in prices for other meat, it also managed to become more of a tradition in some regions. In fact, eating dogs still seems to be occasionally practiced in some rural parts of Switzerland to this day.

Ironically, the emergence of the more and more "industrialized" breeding and slaughtering of cows, pigs etc. meant that these forms of meat were finally constantly available at low prices for every consumer. Hence dog meat became less and less viable/necessary as a food  alternative and the taboo against eating dogs started to assert itself.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies