Imagine a United States without a Labor Union Movement
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 01:42:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Imagine a United States without a Labor Union Movement
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Imagine a United States without a Labor Union Movement  (Read 860 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 26, 2012, 08:31:40 PM »

That seems to be where we are headed if current trends continue -as they seem likely to.  Without labor's money and muscle power, how does the Democratic Party expect to make gains nationally while competing in a landscape structurally shaped (especially in the wake of the FEC vs. Citizens United decision) to favor Republicans? 
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 08:34:43 PM »

No difference.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 09:13:14 PM »

Unions are the ultimate factor in keeping their employers in check. They may be among the finest defenses of liberty itself.
ottermax
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -6.09

P P
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 09:48:54 PM »

Look at the West Coast.

I don't think that labor union presence has affected the Democratic vote very strongly here, but I may be wrong. At least in 2006 and 2008, labor was unimportant. While there are strong labor backgrounds of places like Oakland, Tacoma, Everett, Fresno, etc., Democrats have gotten plenty of support in the Silicon Valley, Seattle's suburbs, and Southern California. Whether or not this is enough, especially to deal with the rise of corporate power is questionable...

The East Coast is probably not in good shape. Progressivism and Social Liberalism that are powerful in the West seem uninspiring in the East. The Northeast will remain Democratic, but the Midwest, Pennsylvania, and other swingy areas are going to be difficult without labor groups.

BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 09:54:56 PM »

The US will be more like mainland China minus the Communism of course.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2012, 10:08:51 PM »

Look at the West Coast.

I don't think that labor union presence has affected the Democratic vote very strongly here, but I may be wrong. At least in 2006 and 2008, labor was unimportant. While there are strong labor backgrounds of places like Oakland, Tacoma, Everett, Fresno, etc., Democrats have gotten plenty of support in the Silicon Valley, Seattle's suburbs, and Southern California. Whether or not this is enough, especially to deal with the rise of corporate power is questionable...

The East Coast is probably not in good shape. Progressivism and Social Liberalism that are powerful in the West seem uninspiring in the East. The Northeast will remain Democratic, but the Midwest, Pennsylvania, and other swingy areas are going to be difficult without labor groups.

The victories in Ohio and Wisconsin prove that labor is anything but dead. And Silicon Valley Democrats aren't real Democrats. Apple may love equal rights, but not in their sweatshops in China.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2012, 10:19:45 PM »

Look at the West Coast.

WA is one of the most heavily unionized states, FTR. They're a huge part of the state Democratic Party's strength.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2012, 11:19:32 PM »

I'm just saying that Unions have been dead since 1970's, their political contributions aren't that much. Although Boeing engineers held a successful strike in 2000's and there are some movements to attempt to organize IT workers of Seattle, so Labor might become a player again.
http://washtech.org/
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2012, 11:27:35 PM »

For me it's like trying to imagine a wealthy Cleveland or a hilly Ohio or a conservative Obama or a radical pacifist Richard Nixon. The world as I've known it would be so dramatically different that I cannot predict at all what it would look like.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2012, 11:42:30 PM »

For me it's like trying to imagine a wealthy Cleveland or a hilly Ohio or a conservative Obama or a radical pacifist Richard Nixon. The world as I've known it would be so dramatically different that I cannot predict at all what it would look like.

Roll Eyes

Please feel free to make your point minus the sarcasm.  
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2012, 11:43:23 PM »

Don't really need much imagination for this one.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2012, 08:58:52 AM »

Roll Eyes

What was so bad about that? I never said the labor movement was all bad!?
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2012, 05:51:34 PM »
« Edited: April 27, 2012, 05:55:19 PM by Frodo »

Roll Eyes

What was so bad about that? I never said the labor movement was all bad!?

My apologies -I thought you were making a snarky reference to the measly 5% unionized rate nationwide (in the private sector), as if to indicate that to all intents and purposes, we are already living in a nation without viable unions.  Thus rendering my thread redundant.  

hopper
United States

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2012, 07:26:06 PM »

Look at the West Coast.

Yeah the Public Works Unions in NJ have been an annoyance to the state. Crap like you get to retire but you can still work in your public sector job should be illegal. Dual public sector jobs should be illegal as well but they are not. How long have you been tenured as a teacher outweights your effectiveness as a teacher. The NJEA is to blame for this rule not being imposed which both President Obama and Governor Christie actually agree that this rule should be imposed I think.
Before Governor Christie became our Governor teachers didn't pay one penny for their health insurance. Governor Christie is like well they should pay something. So it was 2% that they have to put in now. I was like only 2%? I was like they should be paying 15%.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies