Possible GOP comeback?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:38:04 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 15 Down, 35 To Go)
  Possible GOP comeback?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Possible GOP comeback?  (Read 8490 times)
Trueconservative

Political Matrix
E: 4.26, S: 5.91

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 27, 2012, 12:01:49 AM »

It might be in the far future, but I believe the GOP might have a comeback. Everything is trending Democrat and Liberal at the time, but who knows, the future goes on forever so one of these days there will probably be some sort of Conservative revolution, the question is when or if it will ever happen. I think it is a very likely thing, considering how much time there is. What do you think?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 12:14:14 AM »

Losing 63 House seats in the last election is trending Democrat?
Trueconservative

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 12:19:15 AM »

I mean over all, people are getting more and more Liberal as we speak. Once the older generation dies off, then the Liberal revolution will really have taken its toll on conservatism. Also I am talking more about Social conservatism, not a bunch of Libertarians.
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 12:36:42 AM »

I mean over all, people are getting more and more Liberal as we speak. Once the older generation dies off, then the Liberal revolution will really have taken its toll on conservatism. Also I am talking more about Social conservatism, not a bunch of Libertarians.

I really think social liberalism is on the rise, sadly for us social conservatives. I think that, in order to compete nationally, the GOP will move towards becoming more libertarian-oriented.
MagneticFree
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.97, S: -0.70

« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 12:51:56 AM »
« Edited: April 27, 2012, 01:08:22 AM by RockyIce »

What's wrong with Libertarians?   The country could use less government all around, that's what makes us the best country in the world to live long and prosper.  

The fittest survive and the rest will have to figure it out.  It's just like being an animal out in nature, you have to survive on your own after you've been raised by your parents.  However, there should be plenty of private charities to help out people in poverty or need that extra boost.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012, 04:01:08 AM »
« Edited: April 27, 2012, 08:17:54 AM by politicus »

What's wrong with Libertarians?   The country could use less government all around, that's what makes us the best country in the world to live long and prosper.  

The fittest survive and the rest will have to figure it out.  It's just like being an animal out in nature, you have to survive on your own after you've been raised by your parents. However, there should be plenty of private charities to help out people in poverty or need that extra boost.
Even if you accept the whole Darwinian ethos, that's a false comparison. Animals basically depend on their genetic ressources. Human society allows people to inherit trustfunds and family land etc., which makes the idea of "survival of the fittest" ridiculous. Some highly able individuals never get a chance because of their poor social background. While a lot of morons survive for generations based on the abilities, privileges and luck of their ancestors.
hopper
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2012, 05:53:39 PM »
« Edited: April 27, 2012, 05:56:43 PM by hopper »

Losing 63 House seats in the last election is trending Democrat?
Yeah but that was because of the Tea Party, the bad economy, and Obama Care. A 63 house seat gain is something that happens every 70 years. THe GOP won like 60% of the white vote the last time in 2010 and even won women 49-48%. The White Population is growing albiet less than the Asian or the exploding Hispanic Population. Most Hispanics are Mexicans(look at the Pew Hispanic Center Hispanic population chart) who don't like the GOP because of  Jan Brewers tactics a couple of years ago with SB1070 in my opinion.

Alienating Hispanics is the stupidest thing the GOP has ever done in my opinion. You are gonna those voters in the future and to alienate them now? Big boo boo.

I know one thing is for sure the GOP won't win the women vote this year. The contraception issue was bad for the GOP and coupled that with Hispanic Women and Black Women like Obama alot. Romney is winning the white women vote though.
hopper
United States

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2012, 06:08:59 PM »

I am a libertarian republican. I am pro-gay, pro-gun, pro-choice, pro-immigration reform, pro free market. If the GOP can go libertarian I am on board. I can't stand the Religious Right. The GOP wants to send women's rights back 40 years with their extreme stance on abortion right now. It makes me mad. I miss Moderate Republicans but of course the Religious Right threw them out of the party because they label them RINO's. They have to understand a Republican from New Jersey is different from a Republican in Mississippi. Why doesn't the religious right understand this? Even Democrats understand a Democrat from Mississippi is different from a Democrat In New Jersey.
hopper
United States

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2012, 06:24:37 PM »

I really think social liberalism is on the rise, sadly for us social conservatives. I think that, in order to compete nationally, the GOP will move towards becoming more libertarian-oriented.
Well yes and no. The GOP is being extreme in its views with immigration and abortion right now. The reason that the gay marriage thing is on the rise is because Generation Y favors it by a healthy margin and Generation Y has a big generation of people. Generation X is smaller so we don't have as big as a say in cultural issues as Generation Y does. The Boomers are starting to die off too so their say is waning.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2012, 06:41:37 AM »
« Edited: April 29, 2012, 06:48:41 AM by General Buck Turgidson »

Society is always changing and evolving. If you want to call that "becoming more liberal", so be it (although it would be a simplified description of the phenomenon).

A reversal of such societal changes is pretty unlikely. For instance, there won't be a rollback on gay marriage/civil unions, just like you shouldn't expect racial segregation to be re-introduced or women's suffrage to be repealed at any point in the future. In a sense, conservative movements were never able to prevent social change, they only succeeded in slowing it down.

Of course, all of this hasn't much to do with a "GOP comeback". The Republicans will hold the more conservative position on political issues for the foreseeble future and they're also going to win elections. The definition of "conservative" can and will change over time though.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2012, 07:35:28 AM »

What you mean is that society is always changing, but that doesn't mean what are currently viewed as 'liberal' ideas will win; they may lose, to be replaced by some other set of liberal ideas, which may also lose, to be replaced by another set which win. People remember victories for change, not victories for the status quo, even though the latter are far more common.
Trueconservative

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2012, 02:28:50 PM »
« Edited: May 04, 2012, 02:34:29 PM by Trueconservative »

Society is always changing and evolving. If you want to call that "becoming more liberal", so be it (although it would be a simplified description of the phenomenon).

A reversal of such societal changes is pretty unlikely. For instance, there won't be a rollback on gay marriage/civil unions, just like you shouldn't expect racial segregation to be re-introduced or women's suffrage to be repealed at any point in the future. In a sense, conservative movements were never able to prevent social change, they only succeeded in slowing it down.

Of course, all of this hasn't much to do with a "GOP comeback". The Republicans will hold the more conservative position on political issues for the foreseeble future and they're also going to win elections. The definition of "conservative" can and will change over time though.

What I mean is that what your saying won't happen could happen, because there is so much time, but when? I personally would rather live in a 19th century world with the exception of the lack of medicine. Sooner or later the new thing will be Conservatism. The sun won't blow up for a really long time you know. That Democrat from Louisiana is right.  The world is always changing, and for now it's just getting more and more Liberal. Eventually they will get so Liberal that they can't get any more Liberal, so everyone will start getting more Conservative. Of course it's hard to tell what will happen in a million years but you never know. Something else I predict in the pretty near future is that I'll be banned from the forum for being too radically Conservative. 
Trueconservative

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2012, 02:45:43 PM »

@Hopper, Libertarianism is better than flat out Liberalism, but the problem with it is pro gay rights isn't just letting them be gay and blah blah, it's making everyone endorse them or they are the bad guys. It isn't just letting people be, it's more like forcing them to believe that things against they're beliefs are not problems at all. Also abortion is basically murdering. It's like saying "Let a woman murder her child, It's her choice to make." You could say murderers should have the right to choose to murder and not go to jail. I think instead Libertarians should just leave people be and let them have their opinions, even if they're opinions are as radically conservative as mine. And yes, mine are very radical.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2012, 03:09:25 PM »

Inevitably, the GOP is going to have to embrace libertarianism to survive.

Yes, I realize that sounds extremely cocky of me to say, but considering how Olds are dying off and thus social conservatism it may be the only way out.  With lack of social issues to defend, the right in this county will be further forced to stand consistent on issues of fiscal conservatism, or die.

Because frankly, I don't see people voting for the "not as economically left" party in the future if the positions on social issues aren't that dissimilar.  The GOP is going to have to get hard on (pardon the pun) on the fiscal conservative bandwagon in order to make a real effect.  No more petty rhetoric, like in the Reagan years, about reduced government.

Anybody who is serious about government reduction and fiscal conservatism should be excited about the death of social conservatives.

Just my two cents.
Trueconservative

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2012, 03:14:28 PM »

I'm talking far future. Also I agree that social Conservatism is going down. The only reason that you are right about the fact that Libertarians should be glad about the downfall of Social conservatism is because there is to many social Liberals.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2012, 08:25:29 PM »
« Edited: May 04, 2012, 08:41:54 PM by king of jeans »

Yes, I realize that sounds extremely cocky of me to say, but considering how Olds are dying off and thus social conservatism it may be the only way out.  With lack of social issues to defend, the right in this county will be further forced to stand consistent on issues of fiscal conservatism, or die.

This is very presumptuous. Even assuming present trends hold true forever there is much more to social conservatism than just abortion, gays, creationism or just promoting evangelical christianity in general. Case in point, do you think that most people would call someone like Lou Dobbs (well, at least his show persona obviously the guy is a phony..) a "social liberal/progressive" or "left leaning"?  

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Since when were policies like the Bush Tax Cuts, opposition to a public option, cutting entitlements, etc. ever popular with the majority? Never, if anything they keep getting more unpopular. There have been some aspects of fiscal conservatism that have appealed to people like opposition to the bail outs but those were motivated for different reasons. Face it, "small government" of the kind that you want is an extremely tough sell in and of itself. It needs to be packaged with appeals to resentment or bundled with values the average person finds appealing like nationalism, law and order, "traditional values," or JESUS to be remotely viable in a democracy. Why do you think it is that your side is constantly losing?

You must be logged in to read this quote.

This does not at all follow for reasons I already outlined.
courts
Ghost_white
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2012, 08:50:23 PM »

the future goes on forever so one of these days there will probably be some sort of Conservative revolution

This may very well happen, and not in the sense you're talking about. I'm sure Al does though.
So rightwing that I broke the Political Compass!
Rockingham

« Reply #17 on: May 06, 2012, 12:29:11 AM »

I'm talking far future. Also I agree that social Conservatism is going down. The only reason that you are right about the fact that Libertarians should be glad about the downfall of Social conservatism is because there is to many social Liberals.
I wouldn't be so sure. Remember that in many parts of the world social conservatives/reactionaries are gaining ground. Most Muslim countries for example, in Israel, in Eastern Europe, arguably in East Asia. Theirs no inherent reason it can't happen in the USA.
Trueconservative

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2012, 11:30:02 AM »

Ya, that's what I mean.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2012, 12:14:46 PM »

It won't happen until we start reaching out to the Democratic base and educating them about how the GOP is much more their friends on the issues than the Democrats are.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #20 on: June 24, 2012, 02:43:31 PM »

It won't happen until we start reaching out to the Democratic base and educating them about how the GOP is much more their friends on the issues than the Democrats are.

And reach out to religious conservatives in the various minority communities.
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2012, 10:35:51 PM »
« Edited: June 24, 2012, 10:38:13 PM by BaldEagle1991 »

And reach out to religious conservatives in the various minority communities.

There's a problem with that, many black Protestant churches and the Roman Catholic Church (where most Hispanics are) have a strong pro-welfare stance where people should help the poor in service of the Gospel. The GOP's anti-welfare stance prevents this bridge.
BritishDixie
United Kingdom

« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2012, 02:46:50 PM »

The Republicans have to get back to appealing to a broad section of the middle class. The South, a shrinking area of the west and rural voters are not enough to build an election winning majority upon. To do this they must not abandon social conservatism, but tone it down during the campaign. The middle class don't mind family values, but they have other concerns, and this overarching emphasis on abortion and the family, coupled with good ol' right to bear arms and immigration controls, is not going to win over these voters. The "Palin Trinity" of God, Guns and Fences alienates so many people if being talked about constantly. Instead, the Republicans need to talk up sensible tax cuts, good economic management, toughness on crime, and reforming governmental bureaucracy and government programs. Throw in the "Palin Trinity" occasionally where needed, to shore up and enthuse the base. But devote conventions and major campaign events to the important issues of the day rather than these perennial issues. Tough on Crime works, as it did in 1988. The Republicans seem to have neglected it since then. Also, promises of huge tax cuts don't work either, as they don't seem credible and threaten core programs. Instead, sensible tax cuts, which are well costed, should be offered up. The GOP should also promise to try and keep a balanced budget. Streamlining the federal bureaucracy is also a good campaign theme, as it gives scope for tax cuts, and is fairly popular. If the GOP does this, then it can win back middle-class voters, and with them New Jersey, Virginia, Pennsylvania, New Hampshire and more.
NHI
Junior Chimp

« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2012, 03:22:21 PM »

The Republicans have to get back to appealing to a broad section of the middle class. The South, a shrinking area of the west and rural voters are not enough to build an election winning majority upon. To do this they must not abandon social conservatism, but tone it down during the campaign. The middle class don't mind family values, but they have other concerns, and this overarching emphasis on abortion and the family, coupled with good ol' right to bear arms and immigration controls, is not going to win over these voters. The "Palin Trinity" of God, Guns and Fences alienates so many people if being talked about constantly. Instead, the Republicans need to talk up sensible tax cuts, good economic management, toughness on crime, and reforming governmental bureaucracy and government programs. Throw in the "Palin Trinity" occasionally where needed, to shore up and enthuse the base. But devote conventions and major campaign events to the important issues of the day rather than these perennial issues. Tough on Crime works, as it did in 1988. The Republicans seem to have neglected it since then. Also, promises of huge tax cuts don't work either, as they don't seem credible and threaten core programs. Instead, sensible tax cuts, which are well costed, should be offered up. The GOP should also promise to try and keep a balanced budget. Streamlining the federal bureaucracy is also a good campaign theme, as it gives scope for tax cuts, and is fairly popular. If the GOP does this, then it can win back middle-class voters, and with them New Jersey, Virginia, Pennsylvania, New Hampshire and more.

Exactly!
BritishDixie
United Kingdom

« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2012, 02:23:26 AM »

Exactly!

You agree? Finally someone agrees!
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies