Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 24, 2014, 12:20:21 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Don't forget to get your 2013 Gubernatorial Endorsements and Predictions in!

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Discussion
| |-+  History (Moderator: True Federalist)
| | |-+  Parallels between the Third Republic and America's current political state
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Parallels between the Third Republic and America's current political state  (Read 536 times)
TheDeadFlagBlues
YaBB God
Mexico

View Profile
« on: April 27, 2012, 03:33:52 pm »
Ignore

Has anyone else noticed the striking similarities in a few areas?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2012, 04:17:06 pm by TheDeadFlagBlues »Logged

Economic score: -6.26
Social score: -7.74
Antonio V
YaBB God
France

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -4.87

P P P

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 04:29:26 pm »
Ignore

You mean the French Third Republic ?

In its late years, there might be some similarities : government inefficiency, powerlessness and inability to fix what's (seriously) wrong, the legislative branch being utterly useless and pathetic, rise of far-right fringe movements, great violence of the political discourse, etc...

The 1876-1914 period, however, is one of the greatest political eras France has ever experienced.

HashCAN     americans saw the EP elections and people cringing at Europeans being morons and electing Nazis; so they massively said "NO" and decided to prove that they're still bigger morons

"A reformist is someone who realizes that, when you bang your head on a wall, it's the head that breaks rather than the wall."

Peppino, from the movie Baaria
Sibboleth
Realpolitik
YaBB God
Saint Helena

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 04:30:11 pm »
Ignore

Beyond the fact that they have almost nothing in common?

"I have become entangled in my own data, and my conclusion stands in direct contradiction to the initial idea from which I started. Proceeding from unlimited freedom, I end with unlimited despotism. I will add, however, that there can be no solution of the social formula except mine."
TheDeadFlagBlues
YaBB God
Mexico

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 04:48:41 pm »
Ignore

Beyond the fact that they have almost nothing in common?

I'm probably grasping at straws here but during the 20s and 30s its inability to handle its fiscal dilemmas properly, the alarmist media, the polarization, the hold-up of necessary reforms by the conservative senate and the like are reminiscent of many American problems. I think it holds up much better than the often recited "Weimar = 21st century America" comparison.

Why do you think I'm entirely off-base here?

Economic score: -6.26
Social score: -7.74
Sibboleth
Realpolitik
YaBB God
Saint Helena

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 05:12:14 pm »
Ignore

Well it isn't as absurd as the Weimar comparison, but then that's only because it isn't quite openly ridiculous.

But it's still stupid.

"I have become entangled in my own data, and my conclusion stands in direct contradiction to the initial idea from which I started. Proceeding from unlimited freedom, I end with unlimited despotism. I will add, however, that there can be no solution of the social formula except mine."
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout