Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 02, 2014, 11:32:26 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Forum Community
| |-+  Forum Community (Moderators: afleitch, Bacon King, Badger)
| | |-+  Jury duty
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Jury duty  (Read 921 times)
Joe Republic
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« on: April 27, 2012, 10:16:08 pm »
Ignore

God damn it.

Should I bother with it?  They sent the summons to my old address where we moved from about two months ago.  I could always plead ignorance and say I never got it, if they ever even follow up with these things.

I was warned about becoming a registered voter!  My wife and friends had the right idea.  Sad

Real America demands to know.
oakvale
YaBB God
Ireland, Republic of
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2012, 10:19:09 pm »
Ignore

If Nevada's system is anything like ours, lawyers can object to you being selected based on no grounds whatsoever. So if you get jury duty, what I did was show up kinda scruffy and voila!

Although, uh, my name wasn't selected anyway, so I just stood around in a courtroom for three days before going home.

black and white band photos
BRTD
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2012, 10:20:29 pm »
Ignore

A few options:

1-Show up drunk to your screening interview.
2-Think from the mindset of those die-hard Paulites you saw at the convention, not exactly the people any prosecutor wants on a jury.
3-Pretend you are Rochambeau at your screening interview.

01/05/2004-01/10/2014
BRTD
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2012, 10:22:42 pm »
Ignore

If Nevada's system is anything like ours, lawyers can object to you being selected based on no grounds whatsoever.

That is the case in the US, but I think they are given a limited number of "no explanation disqualifications".

I got summoned once, but was saved by being a technically out of state college student. I learned that they usually disqualify college students during the school year anyway, because it's difficult to work around a class schedule.

01/05/2004-01/10/2014
True Federalist
Ernest
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2012, 10:48:10 pm »
Ignore

Unless it's a Federal or felony case, jury duty usually isn't a burden.

My November ballot:
Ervin(I) Gov.
Sellers(D) Lt. Gov.
Hammond(R) Sec. of State
Diggs(D) Att. Gen.
Herbert(D) Comptroller Gen.
Spearman(R) Supt. of Education
DeFelice(American) Commissioner of Agriculture
Hutto(D) US Sen (full)
Scott(R) US Sen (special)
Geddings(Labor) US House SC-2
Quinn(R) SC House District 69
Yes: Amendment 1 (Gen. Assembly may allow and regulate charity raffles)
No: Amendment 2 (end election of the Adjutant General)
#Ready4Nixon
Cathcon
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2012, 11:18:42 pm »
Ignore

Why's everyone hate on jury duty?

LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2012, 11:19:30 pm »
Ignore

Say Jury nullification at some point.
patrick1
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2012, 11:46:49 pm »
Ignore

A few options:

1-Show up drunk to your screening interview.
2-Think from the mindset of those die-hard Paulites you saw at the convention, not exactly the people any prosecutor wants on a jury.
3-Pretend you are Rochambeau at your screening interview.

I'd think that #1 could get you arrested/fined for either contempt or thrown in a drunk tank w/a public intoxication ticket.

Bring your smartphone and some books/magazines to read. At least in Nassau County you just sit in an auditorium and wait, you only have a 50/50 chance of even being selected to be interviewed.
ℒief
Lief
YaBB God
Dominica

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2012, 11:55:40 pm »
Ignore

This is what you get for voting.

Joe Republic
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2012, 12:16:50 am »
Ignore

This is what you get for voting.

No kidding.  I had it in the back of my mind to remember to update my voter registration for my new address, but now I don't think I'll bother.  Between this latest development and my getting email spammed by the Romney campaign (and now some random Paultard newsletters as well), the cost of participating in the GOP caucuses is starting to show itself.

Anyway, thanks for the suggestions, guys.  Except the ones that involve actually showing up and participating.  I'd prefer not to have to take a day off work and accept only $40 as compensation.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2012, 12:19:24 am by Joe Republic »Logged

Real America demands to know.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2012, 02:01:53 am »
Ignore

I actually enjoyed the case I was on.
Keystone Phil
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2012, 09:31:33 am »
Ignore

I'll never forget the fun-filled time I had at jury duty! I sat in a big room with others, filled out some paper work, read some stuff, did some more sitting, got a lunch break/went to eat at one of my favorite places, came back and sat some more then got dismissed around 2:30 while collecting my $9 pay! Then I went to buy a new necktie (which remains as one of my favorites). It was a blast!

The only bad news: I found out a few weeks later that one of my best friends was supposed to have jury duty the same day but got out of it because he was a "full time student."  Sad

The soon-to-be-re-elected Kings of Kansas.
Phony Moderate
Obamaisdabest
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2012, 09:36:43 am »
Ignore

I know someone who was summoned, but he didn't have to do it because he said that he was a Christian. Seriously.
wormyguy
YaBB God
Liechtenstein

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 28, 2012, 10:01:41 am »
Ignore

I'm one of those weird people who'd actually *want* to be selected...
BRTD
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 28, 2012, 10:04:13 am »
Ignore

I'd only want it if it was some nonsense victimless crime so I could practice nullification, but I'm sure that I would never get selected for such a jury anyway.

01/05/2004-01/10/2014
Antonio V
YaBB God
France

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -4.87

P P

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2012, 10:05:17 am »
Ignore

I actually enjoyed the case I was on.

Wow, you're really a creep. Tongue

Quote from: IRC
22:15   ComradeSibboleth   this is all extremely terrible and in all respects absolutely fycking dire.

It really is.

"A reformist is someone who realizes that, when you bang your head on a wall, it's the head that breaks rather than the wall."

Peppino, from the movie Baaria
ChairmanSanchez
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 28, 2012, 11:31:09 am »
Ignore

As soon as the defendent enters the courtoom, stand up and yell Guilty! as soon as he or she enters.

If a burial strikes my family as too practical, I'd go for either a viking funeral on one of the Great Lakes or to be sealed up in a tomb with my closest servants and bang-maids so they may wait on my every need in the afterlife.
Duke
AHDuke99
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2012, 12:14:18 pm »
Ignore

If it isn't a felony case, it's probably just traffic court or a suspended license case. I had to go a few years ago, and it basically lasted an hour and all we did was decide the guy was guilty and leave. Of course, it's easy to get out of. Most people would just say they were going out of town and couldn't make it.
Grumps
GM3PRP
YaBB God
South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islan
View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2012, 01:26:50 pm »
Ignore

I get summoned regularly...it's no big whup.  I never get picked Smiley

Either my uncle or I helps by putting the ice in the glasses and pouring the tea.
Torie
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2012, 05:01:02 pm »
Ignore

I have sat in a jury pool for a day three times. One of the three times I was called, along with about 100 other folks, because it was a three month trial or something. You had the ability to opt out, if you hung around until after lunch. If you didn't opt out, you could leave right away, and would be called later. I stayed until after lunch. If I ever got selected, one side or the other would probably bounce me because of my profession. Lawyers are worried that if a lawyer is on the jury, there is a potential that it will effectively become a jury of one rather than nine. Tongue
BRTD
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 29, 2012, 12:55:56 am »
Ignore

One of my professors for my law classes, who of course was a licensed attorney herself said that it's mandatory that attorneys be barred from juries and she's been called but ruled ineligible on those grounds. In fact I think I've heard that anyone employed by a law firm is barred from jury duty due to a possible conflict of interest, though in that case non-attorneys become eligible again if they leave their job but anyone who was an attorney is barred for life. Maybe just the law in Minnesota.

01/05/2004-01/10/2014
Senator Polnut
polnut
YaBB God
Australia

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 29, 2012, 05:56:39 am »
Ignore

I'm banned from jury duty... I've had legal training.

Dogma is a comfortable thing, it saves you from thought - Sir Robert Menzies
Torie
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2012, 09:19:07 am »
Ignore

One of my professors for my law classes, who of course was a licensed attorney herself said that it's mandatory that attorneys be barred from juries and she's been called but ruled ineligible on those grounds. In fact I think I've heard that anyone employed by a law firm is barred from jury duty due to a possible conflict of interest, though in that case non-attorneys become eligible again if they leave their job but anyone who was an attorney is barred for life. Maybe just the law in Minnesota.

No such ban exists in CA.
BRTD
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 29, 2012, 12:18:23 pm »
Ignore

So wondering, if during a pre-screening interview I went on some rant along the lines of "I think the justice system is bullsh**t, they won't even let me smoke weed!", would that disqualify me from any jury, or just drug cases?

01/05/2004-01/10/2014
Grumps
GM3PRP
YaBB God
South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islan
View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 29, 2012, 12:25:47 pm »
Ignore

No such ban exists in CA.

Nor here.  My cousin is one of the top labor lawyers in the area and he always gets picked, ha ha, poor bastard Tongue

Either my uncle or I helps by putting the ice in the glasses and pouring the tea.
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout