Anti-Bullying Speaker Curses Christian Teens
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 01:21:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Anti-Bullying Speaker Curses Christian Teens
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Anti-Bullying Speaker Curses Christian Teens  (Read 950 times)
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 28, 2012, 03:35:40 AM »

Now, before I get to the link let me say that I generally like Dan Savage, dislike FoxNews, think Christians play the "persecuted" card too much, agree 100% with the "it gets better" campaign and am generally on the side of science/logic over religion/faith...but the following, if accurate, isn't helping.  Now the Link (warning....FoxNewsOnline).
You must be logged in to read this quote.
I know it's just Savage being Savage, but it seems to me this is just going to feed the persecution complex more than it's going to change any minds.  Thoughts?
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2012, 08:48:29 AM »

Dan Savage is kind of an idiot, but I guess it makes some sense, in that most kids who bully LGBT kids are Christian. Doesn't excuse him, but it does explain why he'd go off on them.

Also, are they sure Savage wasn't drunk? If he was intoxicated, that would explain a lot of that behavior.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2012, 07:10:00 PM »

I get the general point of the article re: we can't respond to bullying toward gay teens with bullying of christians and christianity in general, but the stuff about Savage using vulgar language and making sex jokes is what Savage always does, and just comes off as silly prudery.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2012, 07:24:26 PM »

Dan Savage is kind of an idiot, but I guess it makes some sense, in that most kids who bully LGBT kids are Christian. Doesn't excuse him, but it does explain why he'd go off on them.

Also, are they sure Savage wasn't drunk? If he was intoxicated, that would explain a lot of that behavior.
You know what else would explain a lot of that behavior?  Being Dan Savage.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2012, 07:48:17 PM »

To be fair, we would hardly criticize a speaker for attacking Nazis in defense of Jews, or attacking the KKK in defense of Blacks.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 08:14:30 PM »

Probably the wrong focus, but Savage does have a point, given that the Bible is used as an excuse. Coming across as anti-Christian isn't good, though I do not have any sympathy for any actual bully (or defender of bullies) who was offended by his talk.
Zioneer
PioneerProgress
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2012, 11:54:39 PM »

You know what else would explain a lot of that behavior?  Being Dan Savage.

That is true. Savage is kind of a jerk. The only thing he's done that I've liked is the Santorum joke, and now that I think about it, it's not worth ruining his (Santorum's) kids lives for the sake of making fun of a terrible politician.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2012, 01:38:10 PM »
« Edited: May 05, 2012, 01:40:50 PM by politicus »

To be fair, we would hardly criticize a speaker for attacking Nazis in defense of Jews, or attacking the KKK in defense of Blacks.
Which is of course exactly the same Wink
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2012, 09:00:27 PM »

Which is of course exactly the same Wink

Christian teens these days... sending gays to the mass extermination camps... Wink
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies