Your 2016 Picks Round TWO (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:55:23 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2016 U.S. Presidential Election
  Your 2016 Picks Round TWO (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Who would you vote for? Two votes
Susana Martinez (R)

Chris Christie (R)

Paul Ryan (R)

Mitch Daniels (R)

Rand Paul (R)

Jeb Bush (R)

Mike Pence (R)

Hillary Clinton (D)

Andrew Cuomo (D)

Martin O'Malley (D)

Russ Feingold (D)

Brian Schweitzer (D)

Mark Warner (D)

Elizabeth Warren (D)

Sherrod Brown (D)

Cory Booker (D)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 48

Calculate results by number of options selected
Author Topic: Your 2016 Picks Round TWO  (Read 4127 times)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« on: April 28, 2012, 10:14:46 PM »

Feingold
Clinton
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2012, 12:51:53 AM »
« Edited: April 30, 2012, 12:55:28 AM by Senator Scott »

I personally cannot support Schweitzer for his record (or lack thereof) on gay rights.  I want to support the first president who's unapologetically pro-marriage equality in the next election.  Democrats have beat around the issue for too long.

I wouldn't say he's moderate. Sure, he loves guns and comes from a very conservative background (rancher in rural Montana), but he supports single-payer health care, supports legal medicinal marijuana, and wanted Bush to pull Montana's National Guard out of Iraq to deal with Montana's wildfires at the time. He's more of a left-libertarian.

This is actually why I wouldn't mind having him as a nominee or president.  There's just that lingering issue.
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 01:15:29 AM »

I personally cannot support Schweitzer for his record (or lack thereof) on gay rights.  I want to support the first president who's unapologetically pro-marriage equality in the next election.  Democrats have beat around the issue for too long.

Democrats need to move away from focusing on liberal social issues like that; its hurting our prospects with working-class voters. If anything, we should be moving more towards the center. Schweitzer has been a super-popular governor; I don't think one issue, especially one as divisive as that, should be a deal breaker.

America as a whole is becoming more socially liberal by the year.  If we don't capitalize and lead consistently on these key issues, we will fall behind and lose that part of the base.  The Democrats don't have to sacrifice the economic message by appealing toward equal rights, as well; Scott Walker and John Kasich have already done a good job boosting that.  And personally, I would rather support the Democratic candidate that would pursue social equality than the candidate that only gets elected because they say whatever people want to hear.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies