Dan Savage on the Bible
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 02:46:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Dan Savage on the Bible
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Dan Savage on the Bible  (Read 10430 times)
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 29, 2012, 10:12:58 PM »
« edited: April 29, 2012, 10:35:06 PM by Nathan »

Religious folks are generally insane, but just to varying degrees.

Let's not fool ourselves with unjustified feelings of superiority.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #26 on: April 29, 2012, 11:57:08 PM »

Jeez, Christians get so sensitive when the bullsh**t in their 'sacred document' is called out.
Compared to Muslims- for example- who take to murder when it happens to their document?

Why do we need to compare them at all?  Religious folks are generally insane, but just to varying degrees.
Joe- I think you are a good guy but this attack on religious folks is unwarranted... for one- consider the charity (in money but moreso in action) that Christians worldwide provide. I know you aren't denying this but to call us insane over a peaceful reaction to an offensive comment...
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #27 on: April 30, 2012, 12:25:38 AM »
« Edited: April 30, 2012, 12:30:39 AM by Joe Republic »

Sure, crazy people can often do useful things too.  Look at Vincent van Gogh, John Nash, or David Helfgott.  Many crazy people, whether religious or not, can also be completely harmless.  But ultimately, they are invariably nuts.  You'd have to be to believe that well-meaning but often hateful and irrelevant fairy tales are not only true, but also that their message must be imposed on the rest of society.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #28 on: April 30, 2012, 12:42:26 AM »

It's better than being sane if sanity entails acting like a supercilious little pissant. Maybe examine your own beliefs before you start insulting others'. I'm sure you have some.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #29 on: April 30, 2012, 12:46:08 AM »
« Edited: April 30, 2012, 12:47:55 AM by Joe Republic »

It's better than being sane if sanity entails acting like a supercilious little pissant. Maybe examine your own beliefs before you start insulting others'. I'm sure you have some.

Jeez, Christians get so sensitive when the bullsh**t in their 'sacred document' is called out.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #30 on: April 30, 2012, 12:52:05 AM »

Sorry, but no. May I quote to you what you just said?

Sure, crazy people can often do useful things too.  Look at Vincent van Gogh, John Nash, or David Helfgott.  Many crazy people, whether religious or not, can also be completely harmless.  But ultimately, they are invariably nuts.  You'd have to be to believe that well-meaning but often hateful and irrelevant fairy tales are not only true, but also that their message must be imposed on the rest of society.

You didn't 'call out bullsh**t in a document'; you called me and the vast majority of the population of the planet you're living on insane. If you genuinely don't understand the difference there is something much more severely wrong with you than is within my power to even dream of trying to wrap my head around.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2012, 12:57:13 AM »

Easy, tiger!  No need to get all offended.  Look; many, many, many people living with some form of mental illness live totally harmless lives.  Similarly, people who hold some kind of religious belief often appear to be completely normal.  And, like a lot of conditions, there is actually a cure!
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #32 on: April 30, 2012, 12:59:32 AM »

If I'm insane for believing in a man who preached equality, tolerance, love, charity, forgiveness, and other things both militant atheists and militant fundies don't apparently like, then I don't want to be sane.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #33 on: April 30, 2012, 01:04:21 AM »

If I'm insane for believing in a man who preached equality, tolerance, love, charity, forgiveness, and other things both militant atheists and militant fundies don't apparently like, then I don't want to be sane.

Plus the idea of something transhistorical or, dare we hope, eternal, which I'm given to understand is a little hard to wrap one's head around when one is obsessed with the idea of One's Oh-So-Rational Highness' superiority (or One's Oh-So-Pious Highness' superiority).
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #34 on: April 30, 2012, 01:04:51 AM »

You also believe he was born to a virgin, walked on water, died and then magically came back to life after a couple of days, too, right?  Wink  Tongue
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #35 on: April 30, 2012, 01:08:20 AM »

You also believe he was born to a virgin, walked on water, died and then magically came back to life after a couple of days, too, right?  Wink  Tongue

Yep, same guy.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #36 on: April 30, 2012, 01:19:42 AM »

Plus the idea of something transhistorical or, dare we hope, eternal, which I'm given to understand is a little hard to wrap one's head around when one is obsessed with the idea of One's Oh-So-Rational Highness' superiority (or One's Oh-So-Pious Highness' superiority).

Precisely.

You also believe he was born to a virgin, walked on water, died and then magically came back to life after a couple of days, too, right?  Wink  Tongue

Yes.  But of course that's clearly just one of many irrational beliefs I hold that's so highly unpopular with the American people and resented by our president, though.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2012, 03:12:18 AM »

So is anyone going to discuss what Dan Savage actually said?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ao0k9qDsOvs&feature=player_embedded
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2012, 03:21:02 AM »

People walked out when he called what was in the Bible about gays 'bullsh-t.' Perhaps we are to presume that these people don't consider what is said about gays bullsh-t particularly as a number of them went straight to Focus on the Family to air their grievances?

So he is right in a way. They are pansyasses for leaving. It happens to me when I've called them out on it. I can stand there and take everything thrown at me, but the moment you fight back they can't take it.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #39 on: April 30, 2012, 06:08:19 AM »

The excuses for hypocrisy are often funny and you guys haven't let me down.  He probably is right, that doesn't give him an excuse to be a bully.  Which he is supposedly very much against.  That's the issue here.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2012, 06:26:05 AM »

People walked out when he called what was in the Bible about gays 'bullsh-t.' Perhaps we are to presume that these people don't consider what is said about gays bullsh-t particularly as a number of them went straight to Focus on the Family to air their grievances?

So he is right in a way. They are pansyasses for leaving. It happens to me when I've called them out on it. I can stand there and take everything thrown at me, but the moment you fight back they can't take it.
I am more outraged at a 40 year old man calling a specific group of kids "pansyasses" and how it is very contradictory to his anti-bullying message... or is bullying ok when it is directed at those who disagree with him?
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #41 on: April 30, 2012, 08:37:25 AM »
« Edited: April 30, 2012, 08:45:15 AM by afleitch »

I am more outraged at a 40 year old man calling a specific group of kids "pansyasses" and how it is very contradictory to his anti-bullying message... or is bullying ok when it is directed at those who disagree with him?

It was the National High School Journalism conference. If prospective journalists can't listen to something that they disagree with without walking out then yeah, they are pansyasses for walking out of the conference.

EDIT: I note that those who left were the yearbook staff from the Arrowhead Christian Academy in California. It appears to have been a co-ordinated walkout by one school. They then talked to Focus on the Family and other such organisations so that it became a 'story' over a week after the event.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #42 on: April 30, 2012, 08:43:13 AM »

It was the National High School Journalism conference. If prospective journalists can't listen to something that they disagree with without walking out then yeah, they are pansyasses for walking out of the conference.

Yeah, like you wouldn't walk out if they had Jim Dobson or something.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #43 on: April 30, 2012, 08:43:59 AM »

Most of the kids are probably under 18 years of age and they are just that- kids. It is ASTOUNDING that you justify the bullying that went on here- it was a deliberate attempt by Savage to isolate a certain group that were there...cussing at first was bad enough, but after the kids left and he used profanity to insult them in front of their peers...that is an abomination and is a VERY CLEAR example of bullying
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #44 on: April 30, 2012, 08:45:23 AM »

And I would add it's more then something they disagree with...it is attacking something they live their lives by as do billions around the world! And it was attacked in a very profane and offensive manner... these kids didn't interrupt or protest- they simply left. Peaceful, quiet, mature- I would be proud if they were my kids for handling it like an adult...more then I could say about Savage
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #45 on: April 30, 2012, 08:56:49 AM »

And I would add it's more then something they disagree with...it is attacking something they live their lives by as do billions around the world! And it was attacked in a very profane and offensive manner... these kids didn't interrupt or protest- they simply left. Peaceful, quiet, mature- I would be proud if they were my kids for handling it like an adult...more then I could say about Savage

Watch the video and familiarise yourself with the story. Not what was fed to the media by the school pupils and their parents who arranged the walkout, but what was said.

Dan Savage, who is a Catholic himself and is a proponent of having faith communities and LGBT groups work together said that what the bible said about homosexuality was bullsh-t. Which of course it is, and offended Christian students 'spontaneously' walked out as soon as he said it. He wasn't slamming Christians or Christianity but specifically how those who say 'I have to hate gays cos it's in the bible' can easily overlook everything else objectionable and he gave examples. The fact that some (and remember there were other Christian students there who didn't walk about and applauded Savage) took offense to that and didn't want to hear him out proved his point.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #46 on: April 30, 2012, 09:02:37 AM »

I've watched the video- and for you or me his original comment would be less offensive but for a 15 year old child? To have a grown man cussing about something you have grown up with? I can see how that would be much more uncomfortable for them...
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #47 on: April 30, 2012, 09:12:35 AM »

I've watched the video- and for you or me his original comment would be less offensive but for a 15 year old child? To have a grown man cussing about something you have grown up with? I can see how that would be much more uncomfortable for them...

You do know that they would probably have walked out even if he hadn't 'cussed'? If he'd stated his point they would still have left. They left the moment he said he believed what the bible said on homosexuality was bull. Given that they were from a Chrisitian college, perhaps it would be possible that they agreed with their interpretation of bible's 'position'? The very position that Savage was saying still drives gays to suicide today. The very thing he's fighting against. I think he can be forgiven for using the term pansyass; I would think that the students that walked out were more accurately described as cowards.
CLARENCE 2015!
clarence
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #48 on: April 30, 2012, 09:16:21 AM »

Picture this for a second...

Instead of Dan Savage, Ann Coulter is invited to speak. She then brings up the issue of gay marriage and says- in front of these students- "the fact that gays want to be able to get married is bullsh**t"... at that point there would be outrage- from you, from the media, from me, from everyone... and then some offended gay or lesbian students walk out because the crowd applauded and they were uncomfortable...and Coulter refers to these gay students in front of their peers as "pansyass"

You would be singing a different tune...
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #49 on: April 30, 2012, 09:20:08 AM »

Dan Savage, who is a Catholic himself

No, he's an atheist-leaning agnostic.
Pages: 1 [2] 3