Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 01, 2014, 09:22:56 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Don't forget to get your 2013 Gubernatorial Endorsements and Predictions in!

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Atlas Fantasy Elections
| |-+  Atlas Fantasy Government
| | |-+  Regional Governments (Moderator: Gustaf)
| | | |-+  NE1: Northeast School Uniforms Act [Failed]
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: NE1: Northeast School Uniforms Act [Failed]  (Read 1231 times)
Аverroės Nix
Averroės Nix
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« on: April 29, 2012, 09:26:36 am »
Ignore

The Assembly will now consider the following legislation re-introduced by the Representative from New Jersey.  Debate will last 72 hours.

All students in Northeast schools will wear uniforms K-12.
Uniforms for girls will consist of a blazer, white shirt, tie, skirt or slacks.
Uniforms for boys will consist of a blazer, white shirt, tie, slacks.

Each school will be free to choose colors for the uniforms.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 07:21:24 pm by Averroės Nix »Logged

Dentures, for instance, is something Medicaid recipients could live without, Astorino suggested in the interview.

When asked how someone without dentures could eat, Astorino flippantly replied with a laugh, “Soup is good.”
Scott
YaBB God
United States
View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 09:43:02 am »
Ignore

I still strongly disagree with this legislation.  Mandating school uniforms places a large monetary burden on schools and school districts during a time when clothes are very expensive and schools are deeply in debt.  If this bill is intended to be something for the region to fund, I still oppose this because our education dollars ought to be spent on improving the quality of education and not dictating the appearances of Northeast students.

And, quite frankly, differences over clothing is only one reason why bullying occurs at schools, so passing this forth as an attempt to combat bullying is just misguided.

I strongly advise the Assembly to defeat this and the Governor to veto this proposal if it is passed this time.
Аverroės Nix
Averroės Nix
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 10:33:59 am »
Ignore

Introducing an amendment:

1 - Uniforms shall be designed according to the following specifications:

2 - Primary students shall wear red and secondary students shall wear blue. Yellow shall be reserved for class officers.

3 - Boys and girls both may wear either pants or a skirt.

Dentures, for instance, is something Medicaid recipients could live without, Astorino suggested in the interview.

When asked how someone without dentures could eat, Astorino flippantly replied with a laugh, “Soup is good.”
Pyrofox
PyroTheFox
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 01:34:26 pm »
Ignore

Though the outfits may look spiffy, I cannot support such a law.
Uniforms are needlessly expensive to our educational system with no giveback. More importantly, they rob students of their powers of individuality and expression. This will only hinder the rights of our future leaders when we should be looking to expand such rights.
Аverroės Nix
Averroės Nix
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2012, 03:06:55 pm »
Ignore

Simfan, is the amendment friendly?

Lincoln Republican
Winfield
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2012, 03:17:40 pm »
Ignore

Mr. Speaker, you yourself have to know that your amendment proposing Star Trek uniforms for students is ridiculous and is a joke.

Please retract this proposed amendment and apologize to this Assembly.

July 2 , 2014

President Obama has topped predecessor George W. Bush in another poll, but not one he would like.

In a new Quinnipiac University Poll, 33% named Obama the worst president since World War II, and 28% put Bush at the bottom of post-war presidents.

OBAMA WORSE THAN DUBYA!  WHO KNEW?
Scott
YaBB God
United States
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2012, 03:36:08 pm »
Ignore

It's much better than the amendment I almost suggested.

All students in Northeast schools will wear nothing K-12.
Uniforms for girls will consist of nothing
Uniforms for boys will consist nothing.

Students will be permitted to wear coats during winter or on rainy days if so desired.
Аverroės Nix
Averroės Nix
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2012, 03:45:14 pm »
Ignore

Mr. Speaker, you yourself have to know that your amendment proposing Star Trek uniforms for students is ridiculous and is a joke.

Star Trek's uniforms were designed to embody themes of egalitarianism, fairness, democracy, loyalty, and civic virtue. Because these themes are consistent with what the Northeast School Uniforms Act aims to accomplish, I am proposing that our uniforms be of a similar design.

My proposal is entirely sincere, and I resent your assumptions to the contrary. If you believe that the more traditional school uniforms called for in the original legislation are preferable, please explain why. For my own part, I would prefer to steer clear of their highly sexualized connotations.

I share the concerns expressed by Representative Pyrofox and Senator Scott, but I do not believe that they are insurmountable.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 04:36:53 pm by Averroės Nix »Logged

Lincoln Republican
Winfield
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2012, 06:31:33 pm »
Ignore

You are free to resent whatever you like.

The fact remains that putting pupils in Star Trek uniforms will make our schools look like a Halloween party or a Star Trek convention, rather than institutions of learning.

July 2 , 2014

President Obama has topped predecessor George W. Bush in another poll, but not one he would like.

In a new Quinnipiac University Poll, 33% named Obama the worst president since World War II, and 28% put Bush at the bottom of post-war presidents.

Аverroės Nix
Averroės Nix
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2012, 07:30:34 pm »
Ignore

The fact remains that putting pupils in Star Trek uniforms will make our schools look like a Halloween party or a Star Trek convention, rather than institutions of learning.

I am sure that students, teachers, and parents would quickly adjust.

Governor Varavour
Simfan34
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: 5.91

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 30, 2012, 01:58:28 am »
Ignore

Simfan, is the amendment friendly?

It is not, Mr. Speaker.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 02:00:42 am by Severe Simfan34 »Logged

Аverroės Nix
Averroės Nix
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 30, 2012, 07:07:46 am »
Ignore

As my amendment is unlikely to pass without the support of either Winfield or Simfan, I withdraw it from consideration. Debate continues.

wormyguy
YaBB God
Liechtenstein

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2012, 09:39:25 am »
Ignore

I would like to offer an amendment:

All students in Northeast schools will wear uniforms K-12.
Uniforms for girls will consist of a burkha.
Uniforms for boys will consist of a burkha.

Students may wear a string bikini bottom and/or top under the burkha to preserve their modesty.

(I'm not really offering the amendment, I just thought it was funny).
Governor Varavour
Simfan34
YaBB God

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2012, 08:13:34 pm »
Ignore

School uniforms will add to the egalitarian nature of public schools, as they are meant to be. They will help instill an environment of professionalism and scholasticism that we should desire in our schools.

I would like to propose a friendly amendment:

All students in Northeast schools will wear uniforms.
From the start of schooling until the next level specified below, the uniform for public schools shall consist of:
Girls:  Dress shirt or polo and skirt or slacks
Boys: Dress shirt or polo and slacks
From the seventh grade onward or from the start of middle school, which ever one comes first, the uniform for public schools shall consist of:
Girls: a blazer, light shirt, skirt or slacks, and an optional vest, cardigan, or sweater.
Boys: a blazer, light shirt, dark tie, slacks, and an optional vest, cardigan, or sweater.

Lincoln Republican
Winfield
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2012, 09:18:21 pm »
Ignore

I will support the amendment put forward by the honorable member from New York, Simfan.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 09:23:19 pm by Mitt Romney, Economic Heavyweight »Logged

July 2 , 2014

GM Napoleon
Napoleon
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2012, 09:19:27 pm »
Ignore

This bill should specify Northeast public schools rather than all schools. I do not believe this government can nor should mandate dress to private schools. I see this has been amended partially into the bill. Please clarify the entire text. Smiley
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 09:23:48 pm by Governor Napoleon »Logged

When I was in the third grade, I thought that I was Jewish
Because I could count, my nose was big, and I kept my bank account fullish
I told my mom, tears blurring my vision
He said, "Mort, you've loved God since before circumcision"
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2012, 09:34:59 pm »
Ignore

The Governor raises a valid point.  I will propose the following amendment, changing

All students in Northeast schools will wear uniforms to

All students in Northeast public schools will wear uniforms. 

From the start of schooling until the next level specified below, the uniform for public schools shall consist of:
From the seventh grade onward or from the start of middle school, which ever one comes first, the uniform for public schools shall consist of:
Girls: a blazer, light shirt, skirt or slacks, and an optional vest, cardigan, or sweater.
Boys: a blazer, light shirt, dark tie, slacks, and an optional vest, cardigan, or sweater.

The balance of the bill remains unchanged. 

Private schools already have a policy of students wearing school uniforms.

July 2 , 2014

GM Napoleon
Napoleon
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2012, 09:39:05 pm »
Ignore

Thank you, Representative Winfield. Most private schools do already have uniforms, though I imagine some may not.

When I was in the third grade, I thought that I was Jewish
Because I could count, my nose was big, and I kept my bank account fullish
I told my mom, tears blurring my vision
He said, "Mort, you've loved God since before circumcision"
Аverroės Nix
Averroės Nix
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2012, 09:45:56 pm »
Ignore

Simfan, is Winfield's amendment friendly?

Governor Varavour
Simfan34
YaBB God

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2012, 09:55:02 pm »
Ignore

It is, Mr. Speaker.

Аverroės Nix
Averroės Nix
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2012, 11:24:55 am »
Ignore

Debate time has expired.  The Assembly will now vote on the final text.  This vote will last 24 hours, or until all members have voted.

wormyguy
YaBB God
Liechtenstein

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2012, 11:38:13 am »
Ignore

Nay
Pyrofox
PyroTheFox
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2012, 12:27:53 pm »
Ignore

Nay
Аverroės Nix
Averroės Nix
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2012, 02:32:49 pm »
Ignore

Nay

Governor Varavour
Simfan34
YaBB God

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2012, 03:40:39 pm »
Ignore

AYE

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to: