Likelihood that this will be the map (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 12:22:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Likelihood that this will be the map (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Likelihood that this will be the map  (Read 5468 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: April 29, 2012, 10:23:20 PM »

I've been hearing people constantly say that this election will be very close, which is certainly possible. But here's my issue with that: Since 1916, only two patterns have existed with incumbent presidents running for reelection. They either win a second term by a larger popular and electoral vote margin, or they lose big against their challenger. It seems to be a pretty consistent pattern over the past century, which leads me to believe that one or the other will happen this year. Obama wins big or he loses big.

1924, 1948, 1980, 1992, and 1996 are distorted by the presence of a significant third party campaign. 1936 and 1956 were but slight improvements for the incumbent on their blowout of four years previous. 1964, 1972, and 1984 each had message candidates nominated as opponents who were not near the political center.  1932 had the shock of The Great Depression to cause a massive change in the electorate.  The only incumbent election since 1916 that was roughly similar was 2004, in which the incumbent improved slightly over his results of four years earlier.  Romney is not a message candidate, so absent some major new shock, there is no reason to expect a major change from 2008.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 11:11:57 PM »

I also found this Gallup chart of Truman's approval ratings.

Truman's approval rating shoots upward in the second half of 1948. So based solely on approval ratings, Truman's win was not unexpected.

Yes it was unexpected. That was back in the day before they did so many polls.  The reason why the graph is so smooth for the second half of 1948 was that Gallup did no popularity polls in that period.  So Truman went from 40% in the June 1948 poll to 69% in the January 1949 poll.  In November 1948 people did not have a January 1949 poll to interpolate a 60% approval rating as you are assuming.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies