Budget Ammendment
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 05:27:37 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Budget Ammendment
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Budget Ammendment  (Read 2722 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 15, 2005, 09:37:37 AM »

1. The President shall present a monthly budget to the Senate containing details of taxation and borrowing etc.

2. If said budget fails to win the Senate's approval, the Sentte shall write a replacement budget.

3. After the budget is approved by the Senate, the Senate shall appropriate the money raised by the budget as it deems appropriate.

4. Total overspend on the budget and on appropriations shall not exceed 2% of GDP except in times of War and Economic Crisis.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2005, 09:47:15 AM »

I urge my Senators to highly consider this amendment after specifying what an economic or war crisis is.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2005, 10:52:22 AM »

1. The President shall present a monthly budget to the Senate containing details of taxation and borrowing etc.

2. If said budget fails to win the Senate's approval, the Sentte shall write a replacement budget.

3. After the budget is approved by the Senate, the Senate shall appropriate the money raised by the budget as it deems appropriate.

4. Total overspend on the budget and on appropriations shall not exceed 2% of GDP except in times of War and Economic Crisis.

Ahem, Senator it is your job to make the Budget don't try to pass it off to the President so you can more easily attack him if you do not like the budget. Maybe you should be working on a budget instead of handing it off to the President because you don't want to do a budget.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2005, 11:01:24 AM »

yeah, I think the senate should do it
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2005, 12:03:57 PM »

Altough I support the spirit of this, I'm not as conviced by the terms. I have major qualms with paragraph 4, which would only lead to backdoor tax hikes. I also think giving it to the president gives much power to the executive.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2005, 02:14:17 PM »

Check you're Constitutions folks
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2005, 04:21:18 PM »

As Chairman of the Stlasians for Taxpayer Justice, I support this Amendment.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.32, S: -6.52

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2005, 05:09:31 PM »
« Edited: January 15, 2005, 05:11:40 PM by Senator Gabu »

I like this amendment, but I agree that the terms in Section 4 need to be defined.  If it's ambiguous, the president could just perpetually keep the nation in an "economic crisis" and ignore this amendment.

I think that those definitions probably should not be hardwired into this amendment, though.  Changing them later when we have no problems with the amendment itself would be incredibly tedious if they were.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2005, 05:17:28 PM »

I like this amendment, but I agree that the terms in Section 4 need to be defined.  If it's ambiguous, the president could just perpetually keep the nation in an "economic crisis" and ignore this amendment.

I think that those definitions probably should not be hardwired into this amendment, though.  Changing them later when we have no problems with the amendment itself would be incredibly tedious if they were.

I'd intended to write an "Economic Crisis" bill but didn't get round to it. Can someone else do it? I'm tired right now...
Platypus
hughento
Atlas Star
Australia

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2005, 09:29:57 AM »

no way. Bi-monthly at most if a budget is a must, although I'd prefer it every four months one month into a president's ter,. We don't want too much realism, guys, it'll destroy it. If a newbie can't come in and withing two hours or so get the gist of Atlasia, we'll self-destruct, and pages and pages of budget details won't help to interest newcomers.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2005, 05:33:56 AM »

no way. Bi-monthly at most if a budget is a must, although I'd prefer it every four months one month into a president's ter,. We don't want too much realism, guys, it'll destroy it. If a newbie can't come in and withing two hours or so get the gist of Atlasia, we'll self-destruct, and pages and pages of budget details won't help to interest newcomers.

Hear, hear...glad to see you've seen the light there Hugh. Wink
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2005, 10:10:41 AM »

I will sign this bill.

My only reservation is that Section 4 even allows the Senate to spend over the GDP. I also dislike that economic crisis part. The part about war is a necessity though.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2005, 10:12:12 AM »

You might want to re-read the subject line.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2005, 10:28:25 AM »

Yes, I know a buget will have to be written up and then the Senate will have to argue forever about it. But I must take the good with the bad to get a balanced budget.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2005, 10:30:16 AM »

Yes, I know a buget will have to be written up and then the Senate will have to argue forever about it. But I must take the good with the bad to get a balanced budget.

I don't think you quite got what I meant. Ask your AG about whether Presidential signatures are required for Constitutional Amendments.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2005, 10:33:49 AM »

I don't think you quite got what I meant. Ask your AG about whether Presidential signatures are required for Constitutional Amendments.

My apologies, I overlooked the amendment part.

I thought this was an "act".
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2005, 03:42:26 PM »

I hereby open the debate on this amendment.

-------------

As already stated, "economic crisis" needs to be defined and I would also say that "times of war" may need to as well. There is always a war going on in the world and it could be interpreted as any war in the world, not necessarily involving Atlasia.

The typo on Senate in Clause 2 needs fixing.

It will take years for the Senate to write a budget what with the fact that we have people from different ideologies, are we to assume we have an individual time vote on every section? At this moment in time I do not support this amendment.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2005, 04:30:01 PM »

O.K... first off I had assumed that another Senator was going to introduce a Declaration of Economic Crisis Bill (*coughs*).
I would assume the entire budget would be voted on in one go, and oddly enough I would assume that it would be the job of the Taxation and Appropriations Committee to write a budget if the Administration's fails.
Hopefully this won't be needed anyways, as the bizarre loopholes in the current Constitution will go the way of the Dodo if I get my way...
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2005, 07:53:29 PM »

I believe that this amendment has run out of debating time (Aha!  I beat you to it, King Wink ).
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2005, 08:07:31 PM »

Voting will open now. All those in favor, please vote Yea, all those opposed vote Nay.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2005, 08:18:10 PM »

As GM, I believe this Amendment has not been fleshed out enough to be properly applied to any situation.  Ambiguaties (sp) still exist in the definition of economic crisis and war.  Until those ambiguities are corrected, it wouldn't be wise for senators to vote for this measure.

In the spirit of this amendment, I have wrote up a new draft that I have sent to Al for his perusal.  I will post it below.
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2005, 08:20:55 PM »

I will vote for this if someone (maybe me, if I get the time) comes up with a statue defining "economic crisis" and "war" that will get introduced and passed.  We all have a general idea of what those things are, but they should be rigorously defined.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2005, 08:22:29 PM »

*****This is not the legislation up for vote.  Do not vote on this.  The actual amendment is on the first page.*****

Balanced Budget Amendment

1) The Senate shall have the responsiblity to draft a budget in each Congress.

2) The Budget must be approved by a majority vote of the Senate and then approved by the President.

3) If it fails to gain approval, the Senate shall rewrite the budget until it gains approval.

4) The total overspent on the budget must not exceed 2% of the GDP except in those situations specified by Clause 5.

5) The total overspent on the budget can exceed 2% GDP if: The Atlasian Senate has voted to Declare War, and a situation of war exists. The Atlasian  Senate has voted to approve military action by the President, and such action is ungoing. The real GDP has been in decline for two or more quarters.

*****This is not the legislation up for vote.  Do not vote on this.  The actual amendment is on the first page.*****
Gabu
Atlas Star
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2005, 08:26:53 PM »

*****This is not the legislation up for vote.  Do not vote on this.  The actual amendment is on the first page.*****

2) The Budget must be approved by a majority vote of the Senate and then approved by the President.

3) If it fails to gain approval, the Senate shall rewrite the budget until it gains approval.

4) The total overspent on the budget must not exceed 2% of the GDP except in those situations specified by Clause 5.

5) The total overspent on the budget can exceed 2% GDP if: The Atlasian Senate has voted to Declare War, and a situation of war exists. The Atlasian  Senate has voted to approve military action by the President, and such action is ungoing. The real GDP has been in decline for two or more quarters.

*****This is not the legislation up for vote.  Do not vote on this.  The actual amendment is on the first page.*****

I like this, but that part really should be a statute, not an amendment, in case we want to simply change those definitions rather than the whole bill.

How about I introduce the definitions in Clause 5 as a separate piece of legislation in the event that this amendment passes?
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2005, 08:28:58 PM »

5) The total overspent on the budget can exceed 2% GDP if: The Atlasian Senate has voted to Declare War, and a situation of war exists. The Atlasian  Senate has voted to approve military action by the President, and such action is ungoing. The real GDP has been in decline for two or more quarters.

I like this, but that part really should be a statute, not an amendment, in case we want to simply change those definitions rather than the whole bill.

How about I introduce the definitions in Clause 5 as a separate piece of legislation in the event that this amendment passes?

That would be fine, hopefully, this will be voted down so it can be rewritten. 
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies