Death Penalty Question
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 03:16:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Death Penalty Question
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6
Poll
Question: What punishment do you think a convict found guilty of murder, rape, and pedophilia should get?
Republican: Death Penalty

Republican: Life in Prison w/out Parole

Democrat: Death Penalty

Democrat: Life in Prison w/out Parole

independent/third party: Death Penalty

independent/third party: Life in Prison w/out Parole

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 116

Author Topic: Death Penalty Question  (Read 17509 times)
Banjo Broski
Rookie

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #100 on: November 02, 2012, 02:06:05 AM »

opposing the death penalty is dume how you can oppose killing our enemies if you oppose your nothing but a hippy daisy picker we need to expand death penalty you kill once you get the death penalty.

I oppose killing my or anybody else's enemies among other reasons because I'm a Christian. If you support you're nothing but a bloodthirsty atheist*.

*Mods, I'm aware that this sentence doesn't make any sense. I'm engaging in a dialectic, here...

Wow you people make me sick you want to keep murders alive that evil your a pagan for that & that wrong we should kill all criminals and murders if you commit a crime you should get the penalty we need to expand it for example if you do arm robbery i say death penalty is needed.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #101 on: November 02, 2012, 02:08:23 AM »

opposing the death penalty is dume how you can oppose killing our enemies if you oppose your nothing but a hippy daisy picker we need to expand death penalty you kill once you get the death penalty.

I oppose killing my or anybody else's enemies among other reasons because I'm a Christian. If you support you're nothing but a bloodthirsty atheist*.

*Mods, I'm aware that this sentence doesn't make any sense. I'm engaging in a dialectic, here...

Wow you people make me sick you want to keep murders alive that evil your a pagan for that & that wrong we should kill all criminals and murders if you commit a crime you should get the penalty we need to expand it for example if you do arm robbery i say death penalty is needed.

What crimes, if any, would you concede that the death penalty might be excessive, unnecessary, or just plain ineffectual as a deterrent for?
Banjo Broski
Rookie

« Reply #102 on: November 02, 2012, 02:09:54 AM »

What crimes, if any, would you concede that the death penalty might be excessive, unnecessary, or just plain ineffectual as a deterrent for?

If you murder somebody you should get the death penalty it that simple. If you commit armed robery or steal from a bank you should to. It a good idea.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #103 on: November 02, 2012, 02:11:51 AM »

If you murder somebody you should get the death penalty it that simple. If you commit armed robery or steal from a bank you should to. It a good idea.

I get that you feel that way. Are there any crimes you don't feel that way about? What about mail fraud, for example?
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #104 on: November 02, 2012, 07:11:25 AM »

Is Banjo a sock puppet?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #105 on: November 02, 2012, 01:05:53 PM »
« Edited: November 02, 2012, 01:07:55 PM by Is it over yet? »

Your grammar and punctuation have clearly been put to death by lethal injection.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #106 on: November 03, 2012, 04:18:32 AM »

That's an issue I find myself thinking about and have been swaying on, but recently I've been more against the death penalty, mostly for cost reasons.
Banjo Broski
Rookie

« Reply #107 on: November 03, 2012, 04:31:40 AM »

Your grammar and punctuation have clearly been put to death by lethal injection.

Hey SHUT UP
Supermariobros
Rookie
Hong Kong
« Reply #108 on: November 26, 2012, 05:08:45 AM »

Republican-Yes.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #109 on: November 26, 2012, 06:07:32 PM »

To what? 
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #110 on: November 26, 2012, 06:09:14 PM »

as someone who supports the death penalty, i have to say a lot of the posts in this thread aren't doing the position much service.
Supermariobros
Rookie
Hong Kong
« Reply #111 on: November 28, 2012, 05:13:08 AM »

I strongly support capital punishment.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #112 on: November 28, 2012, 05:30:10 AM »

as someone who supports the death penalty, i have to say a lot of the posts in this thread aren't doing the position much service.
That is the exact reason the socks are doing it.  Sure it's dirty pool, but do you expect anything less from the left*?

*of course "the left" isn't the only group that does it.  That would be a stupid thing to think.  Like thinking Americans are the only ones to fight over a good deal...or blaming capitalism for people acting like asshats.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #113 on: November 28, 2012, 10:36:08 PM »

Democrat - Life without parole.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #114 on: November 29, 2012, 01:08:42 AM »

Democrat - Pro-Death penalty. 

There are just some people who commit crimes that go so far beyond human decency that I don't want to share the planet with them.  Someone like Adolf Eichmann to me is a clear case where the proper punishment was death.

But, I would limit it to intentional murder and I would apply a higher standard of proof, something like proven beyond any doubt or overwhelming evidence.  This way it would be used extremely rarely and we wouldn't run into as many problems of wrongly sentencing people to death. 
Supermariobros
Rookie
Hong Kong
« Reply #115 on: December 01, 2012, 05:12:37 PM »

Opposing the death penalty is wack.
MK
Mike Keller
United States

« Reply #116 on: December 01, 2012, 10:04:20 PM »

Rape and murder crimes have different circumstances.  You can't just blanket all of them into death penalties.  Sex crimes are have too many factors.

GMantis
Dessie Potter
Junior Chimp
Bulgaria

« Reply #117 on: December 08, 2012, 03:56:51 PM »

Independent: Yes, if proven beyond doubt. There are certain crimes which should be unforgivable and where it must be made certain that those who committed them have no chance to commit them again.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #118 on: December 08, 2012, 04:05:43 PM »

Republican: Death Penalty.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #119 on: December 08, 2012, 04:15:11 PM »
« Edited: December 08, 2012, 04:21:14 PM by Mutthole Surfers »

independent - voted death penalty, which I would like to see as the sole punishment for murder, but like the constitutional standard for treason, only if two or more witnesses can be provided. (Forensic evidence would be counted as only one witness, no matter how many people present it.) A lesser conviction, either for manslaughter, or with only one witness should have the punishment be life without parole, and the jury should be given the option to find that only one witness was credible, thereby making the defendant ineligible for the death penalty.  Neither rape nor pedophilia, as horrible as they are, warrant a death penalty on their own, or as special circumstance that makes a homicide a capital offense.

I would go with something like this. Basically, for a defendant to be eligible for the Death Penalty, guilt must be proven beyond any competent(more than reasonable, no one without a moral or mental defect, even if they are strongly biased against  a finding guilt, would doubt the guilt) doubt.

The crimes that should warrant it should be treason, terrorism or some sort of heinious premeditated murder for any other reason which, in a single criminal episode or over several criminal episodes, causes the death of 10 or more people.

All this being said, there should a limit of one appeal for the death penalty and upon sentence, it must be carried out in 5-10 or the sentence is commuted to life without parole.

However, there should be alternatives for murder and other crimes that traditionally warrant the death penalty besides just recieving life with or without the opportunity for release. Perhaps for heinous sex offenses that don't involve permenant death or disability of the victim, the defendent may be released after a reasonable period of years if they comply with an order of a definite period civil commitment and agree to undergo radical surgical castration (removal or all sex organs and sexual characteristics).

The point I am trying to make is that its not a legitmate interest of Government to settle personal blood feuds. It is a legitimate interest of Government to protect macro-level Security.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #120 on: December 08, 2012, 04:24:42 PM »

Hell no, not when progressive penal systems like that of Norway have proven effective at rehabilitating criminals back into being productive members of society.

Anyway, though, if someone can be rehabilitated, then executing them would be a purposeless waste of life, and if they cannot be rehabilitated, they aren't at fault.

But the death penalty saves all the time and effort of 'reforming' the worthless gutter-trash of society, most of whom are so evil that the death penalty in its present form is too good for them anyway.

Lol.... Moron.

Forgive me for having no sympathy for serial killers, rapists and child molesters....but of course, its 'societies' fault.

I understand that you watched the Onion's report on the Supreme Court's Constitutional review of the Death Penalty? Perhaps we could change death penalty statutes and regulation to allow for no one standard procedure of implementing the Death Penalty. Maybe the state can contract out the death penalty to private parties who would be solely responsible for causing the defendant's death.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #121 on: December 09, 2012, 03:24:43 PM »

With over 100 votes, it's too late to change this poll now, but what I intended to ask was whether you all would still oppose the death penalty if someone were convicted of all three crimes (murder, rape, and pedophilia/child molestation) involving the same victim(s).
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #122 on: December 09, 2012, 03:29:03 PM »

With over 100 votes, it's too late to change this poll now, but what I intended to ask was whether you all would still oppose the death penalty if someone were convicted of all three crimes (murder, rape, and pedophilia/child molestation) involving the same victim(s).

Yes.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #123 on: December 09, 2012, 03:47:50 PM »

Yes.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #124 on: December 09, 2012, 04:26:48 PM »

Death Penalty (D)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length