Death Penalty Question
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 03:22:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Death Penalty Question
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6
Poll
Question: What punishment do you think a convict found guilty of murder, rape, and pedophilia should get?
Republican: Death Penalty

Republican: Life in Prison w/out Parole

Democrat: Death Penalty

Democrat: Life in Prison w/out Parole

independent/third party: Death Penalty

independent/third party: Life in Prison w/out Parole

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 116

Author Topic: Death Penalty Question  (Read 17510 times)
Pingvin
Pingvin99
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: May 18, 2012, 07:45:26 AM »

Please, explain, what fascistic about executing people who sell death to our children?
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #51 on: May 18, 2012, 08:10:13 AM »

Please, explain, what fascistic about executing people who sell death to our children?

"Who sell death to our children"

The drug most sold and used in America is marijuana, which has caused...let's see...1, 2, 3, a total of 0 (yes, ZERO) deaths. One would need to smoke a few hundred grams of marijuana per second in order to overdose.

It should not be a crime to put into one's own body what we choose. Hamburgers and steak and ice cream can be just as unhealthy and life threatening as drugs, yet only drugs are illegal. It's only illegal cuz the government can make a hefty profit taxing citizens for a war that needn't even be fought. Politicians talk so much about how our prisons are overcrowded and there's no space to put violent criminals, well then why not make more room by freeing the non-violent criminals who were arrested for having an eighth of a gram of marijuana on their person. It's ludicrous to suggest that just because someone does drugs that they are automatically a violent and deplorable person. Drugs do not make people bad, bad attitudes towards drugs does. The more something is prohibited, the more likely people are to do it. It's why alcohol became a lot more popular in the 20s during prohibition. Tell me, if heroin became legal tomorrow, would you do heroin? Would your family do heroin? Would any logical person on this forum or in the world do heroin? No. Only those who had been doing heroin while it was illegal would still do heroin. It's not like if drugs became legal, we'd automatically forget that they can be dangerous and ruin our lives. In fact, the number of people doing drugs would likely decrease cuz there's no longer that feeling of "wow I'm such a badass for smoking pot even though it's illegal."
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #52 on: May 18, 2012, 12:10:41 PM »
« Edited: May 18, 2012, 12:20:27 PM by Grumps »

Is the death penaly really a major partisan issue?
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #53 on: May 19, 2012, 01:17:43 AM »

If we're heading off topic to drugs, here's my batsh**t crazy stance: I don't care about the facts of drug use. I think there's value in having the psychological moral line of illegal drugs. You succomb, break the law, and show your true character... or you don't. I wouldn't care if a study came out saying drugs were healthy. I think it's a good judge of character because it's a line people encounter regularly, unlike murder.

But that's totally off-topic.

In terms of the death penalty... I used to be all for it. But I got thinking about how pro-life I am regarding abortion, and it just didn't make sense for me to support the death penalty. While I firmly believe that the generic criminal in question would deserve to die, I don't believe it can ever be the state's role to condone institutionalized death.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #54 on: May 20, 2012, 12:33:06 AM »

I read the question as a single murder by a person with a previous record of sexual assault, or with that sexual assault as part of the murder. I would not generally favor the death penalty in that case. If however it was for a subsequent murder I think it should be eligible for the death penalty. This leaves DP as a punishment for serial killers. It also provides for a harsher punishment for murderers who kill again while in prison for life.
Torie
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #55 on: May 20, 2012, 07:29:54 PM »

I am close to Muon2. In general, death should be left for those who have nothing to lose because they are already lifers, but I also go for Old Sparky for certain murders where the circumstances are aggravated, and kidnapping from a supermarket, and then torturing and raping, some little girl, seem to me to qualify. Fry but fry sparingly, just like we should use the F word, so that when we use it, it just carries more freight, and sends a clearer societal message.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #56 on: May 21, 2012, 05:47:29 AM »

I oppose the death penalty, unconditionally. Don't really agree with conceding the power of life & death to the state, personally. Smiley
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #57 on: May 21, 2012, 05:53:38 AM »

"Who sell death to our children"

The drug most sold and used in America is marijuana, which has caused...let's see...1, 2, 3, a total of 0 (yes, ZERO) deaths. One would need to smoke a few hundred grams of marijuana per second in order to overdose.

It should not be a crime to put into one's own body what we choose. Hamburgers and steak and ice cream can be just as unhealthy and life threatening as drugs, yet only drugs are illegal. It's only illegal cuz the government can make a hefty profit taxing citizens for a war that needn't even be fought. Politicians talk so much about how our prisons are overcrowded and there's no space to put violent criminals, well then why not make more room by freeing the non-violent criminals who were arrested for having an eighth of a gram of marijuana on their person. It's ludicrous to suggest that just because someone does drugs that they are automatically a violent and deplorable person. Drugs do not make people bad, bad attitudes towards drugs does. The more something is prohibited, the more likely people are to do it. It's why alcohol became a lot more popular in the 20s during prohibition. Tell me, if heroin became legal tomorrow, would you do heroin? Would your family do heroin? Would any logical person on this forum or in the world do heroin? No. Only those who had been doing heroin while it was illegal would still do heroin. It's not like if drugs became legal, we'd automatically forget that they can be dangerous and ruin our lives. In fact, the number of people doing drugs would likely decrease cuz there's no longer that feeling of "wow I'm such a badass for smoking pot even though it's illegal."

Are you trying to use logic with a social conservative?
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #58 on: May 21, 2012, 08:07:37 AM »

Good point...
Free Palestine
FallenMorgan
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -10.00

« Reply #59 on: May 27, 2012, 09:16:08 PM »

I oppose state-sanctioned murder, thank you very much.
The Simpsons Cinematic Universe
MustCrushCapitalism
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.23, S: -2.78

« Reply #60 on: May 27, 2012, 09:24:42 PM »

Hell no, not when progressive penal systems like that of Norway have proven effective at rehabilitating criminals back into being productive members of society.

Anyway, though, if someone can be rehabilitated, then executing them would be a purposeless waste of life, and if they cannot be rehabilitated, they aren't at fault.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #61 on: September 04, 2012, 08:37:45 AM »

Republican; I'm neutral on the death penalty and can see both sides, so to be safe, I said life in prison without parole.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #62 on: September 04, 2012, 09:00:15 AM »

Neither.

There's no "life with parole" option.
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #63 on: September 04, 2012, 09:05:36 AM »

Neither.

There's no "life with parole" option.

Agree entirely.

99% of life sentences should at least have that option. Extreme cases like Breivik being an exception that I think should not necessarily grant that option.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #64 on: September 04, 2012, 04:29:05 PM »

No longer support the death penalty, ftr.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #65 on: September 06, 2012, 12:55:25 PM »

false dichotomy in the poll, no?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #66 on: September 06, 2012, 01:06:05 PM »

Where the heck is the reasonable option? 
Emperor Dubya
Rookie

« Reply #67 on: September 07, 2012, 11:24:23 AM »

Hell no, not when progressive penal systems like that of Norway have proven effective at rehabilitating criminals back into being productive members of society.

Anyway, though, if someone can be rehabilitated, then executing them would be a purposeless waste of life, and if they cannot be rehabilitated, they aren't at fault.

But the death penalty saves all the time and effort of 'reforming' the worthless gutter-trash of society, most of whom are so evil that the death penalty in its present form is too good for them anyway.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #68 on: September 07, 2012, 04:03:01 PM »

But the death penalty saves all the time and effort of 'reforming' the worthless gutter-trash of society, most of whom are so evil that the death penalty in its present form is too good for them anyway.

This is a fun new poster.
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #69 on: September 07, 2012, 04:04:40 PM »

MustCrushCapitalism vs. Emperor Dubya.

Oh what a treat!
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #70 on: September 07, 2012, 06:46:43 PM »

Lol.... Moron.
morgieb
Junior Chimp
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -8.70

« Reply #71 on: September 08, 2012, 06:35:05 AM »

Yeah, 'new'....
Emperor Dubya
Rookie

« Reply #72 on: September 08, 2012, 11:13:21 AM »

Lol.... Moron.

Forgive me for having no sympathy for serial killers, rapists and child molesters....but of course, its 'societies' fault.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #73 on: September 08, 2012, 02:23:25 PM »

This is precisely how I feel about the rich, E.D.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #74 on: September 09, 2012, 07:27:07 AM »

Why on earth do you think these crimes warrant 'life imprisonment without possibility of parole'?  I certainly don't.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies