Death Penalty Question (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 08:34:51 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Death Penalty Question (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: What punishment do you think a convict found guilty of murder, rape, and pedophilia should get?
Republican: Death Penalty

Republican: Life in Prison w/out Parole

Democrat: Death Penalty

Democrat: Life in Prison w/out Parole

independent/third party: Death Penalty

independent/third party: Life in Prison w/out Parole

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 116

Author Topic: Death Penalty Question  (Read 17765 times)
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« on: May 20, 2012, 12:33:06 AM »

I read the question as a single murder by a person with a previous record of sexual assault, or with that sexual assault as part of the murder. I would not generally favor the death penalty in that case. If however it was for a subsequent murder I think it should be eligible for the death penalty. This leaves DP as a punishment for serial killers. It also provides for a harsher punishment for murderers who kill again while in prison for life.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2012, 10:34:21 AM »

ONLY time I'll EVER invoke slippery slope. If we make an exception for mass murderers, what's stopping us from hanging people who committed other crimes and should have gotten life without parole.

The only exception to my strong opposition to the death penalty is that I'm glad Bin Laden was killed.

I don't think there's a slippery slope for use of the DP if convicted of multiple murders committed on separate days.

I read the question as a single murder by a person with a previous record of sexual assault, or with that sexual assault as part of the murder. I would not generally favor the death penalty in that case. If however it was for a subsequent murder I think it should be eligible for the death penalty. This leaves DP as a punishment for serial killers. It also provides for a harsher punishment for murderers who kill again while in prison for life.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies