Connecticut Republicans go crazy as same-day registration passes House
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:50:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Connecticut Republicans go crazy as same-day registration passes House
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Opinion of same day voter registration?
Positive

Neutral

Negative

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 51

Author Topic: Connecticut Republicans go crazy as same-day registration passes House  (Read 3490 times)
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 01, 2012, 12:04:17 AM »

It still needs to pass the Senate but Republicans seem especially bitter over the 2010 gubernatorial results.
link
You must be logged in to read this quote.
greenforest32

Political Matrix
E: -7.94, S: -8.43

« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 12:13:51 AM »

You can count on Republicans being against most things that increase voter turnout.

Nearly 14 years later, the Oregon Republican party is still officially opposed to vote-by-mail: http://www.oregonrepublicanparty.org/platform

Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 12:26:05 AM »

CT is becoming better and better each day. If they get rid of Lieberman and replace him with Murphy, it's officially a FF state.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 12:28:41 AM »

CT is becoming better and better each day. If they get rid of Lieberman and replace him with Murphy, it's officially a FF state.

We are already a FF state. Obviously, I am on Team Murphy, though the black Republican candidate, Brian Hill is, well, mildly interesting. Don't worry, I am not going to vote for a Republican candidate (which will probably be McMahon).
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 12:32:14 AM »

We have same day registration and it works great. Awesome for CT for jumping aboard.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2012, 12:35:06 AM »
« Edited: May 01, 2012, 12:37:32 AM by ○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└ »

From the article

Yes, it's possible to commit a felony that leaves a solid written record that you committed the felony. Of course I bet that Cafero had no problem with absentee ballots that had no postmark and were mailed after election day counting in the 2000 Florida election, but not other elections because Bush didn't need them then.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2012, 12:39:16 AM »

LOL that reminds me of how insanely easy it'd be for students of MSU-Moorhead who are from Fargo or somewhere else nearby in North Dakota to vote in both states, since North Dakota doesn't even have voter registration, any adult with an ND driver's license can vote there.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2012, 12:41:23 AM »

From the article

Yes, it's possible to commit a felony that leaves a solid written record that you committed the felony. Of course I bet that Cafero had no problem with absentee ballots that had no postmark and were mailed after election day counting in the 2000 Florida election, but not other elections because Bush didn't need them then.

Isn't it possible for a VA college student to be registered to vote in VA and apply for an absentee ballot, and also register to vote in CT when he's studying there, even if there's no same day registration ? There are no cross checks between the states anyway on who is registered in which state to vote, so a voter with 50 homes in 50 states could theoretically be registered to vote in every state and vote in every state ... (?)
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2012, 12:53:24 AM »

Pretty much the case yes. In my example above, it wouldn't be any more difficult for said student in Minnesota to vote in both states even if Minnesota didn't have same day registration, they'd just have to register beforehand and keep their ND driver's license. (I did have an ND driver's license throughout college, but even if I was willing to commit vote fraud I wouldn't be willing to drive 8 hours to do so.)
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2012, 12:59:18 AM »

From the article

Isn't it possible for a VA college student to be registered to vote in VA and apply for an absentee ballot, and also register to vote in CT when he's studying there, even if there's no same day registration ? There are no cross checks between the states anyway on who is registered in which state to vote, so a voter with 50 homes in 50 states could theoretically be registered to vote in every state and vote in every state ... (?)

Sure, someone could vote in all 50 states if they want to take 1225 chances that someone discovers they voted in 2 states.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2012, 01:27:56 AM »
« Edited: May 01, 2012, 01:29:39 AM by Senator-elect wormyguy »

Stop making sense.

Of course, there's all sorts of wacky stuff.  MA allows a driver's license as proof of citizenship for registration .... and gives driver's licenses to illegal immigrants.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2012, 12:38:34 PM »

Given the potential for fraud, I'm not interested in same-day registration.  OTOH, having everyone with a driver's license (or other state-issued ID) be automatically registered to vote makes sense.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2012, 07:29:22 AM »

Same day registration is horrible. I've worked the polls every election in Connecticut for the past 5 years, and it would just be a disaster. If you really want to vote, why don't you just go ahead and make sure that you are registered before the election.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2012, 10:11:51 AM »

Same day registration is horrible. I've worked the polls every election in Connecticut for the past 5 years, and it would just be a disaster. If you really want to vote, why don't you just go ahead and make sure that you are registered before the election.

No, how about the government automatically registers you like Ernest suggested. Then it's up to you whether you want to vote but it won't depend on whether you remembered to register within 15 days before the election. It's not a big deal for us junkies, but normal people aren't always thinking about elections and in many cases don't even know about these laws.
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2012, 10:32:20 AM »

Oh really? It hasn't exactly been a disaster for us.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2012, 10:37:13 AM »

Susan isn't SoS anymore.
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2012, 10:40:23 AM »
« Edited: May 03, 2012, 10:57:17 AM by Nathan »

From the article

Sure, someone could vote in all 50 states if they want to take 1225 chances that someone discovers they voted in 2 states.

That's where fake names come in handy.

On a completely unrelated note, if I ever post while traveling through New York in late October or early November, which is entirely possible since it's the state my best friend lives in, you're to address me as either Joe-Jack Hekmatyar or Skip Makioka.
homelycooking
Junior Chimp
Belize

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2012, 10:55:48 AM »

What would Connecticut politics be without Lawrence F. Cafero, Jr.?
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2012, 11:55:37 PM »

i don't get why connecticut republicans are freaking out about this. Most Connecticut republicans aren't overly conservative and the only one I can think of who was (Gary Franks) still wasn't by any means a Jim DeMint.
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2012, 10:59:27 AM »

I know, right? Larry is a cool guy.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2012, 11:50:06 AM »

Weren't you in his district?
greenforest32

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2012, 02:42:11 PM »

Wow, just found out that in addition to election day registration, the bill would also allow online voter registration: http://www.fairelectionsnetwork.com/blog/connecticut-bucks-national-voter-suppression-trend

Hope it passes.
greenforest32

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2012, 09:16:54 AM »

Wow, just found out that in addition to election day registration, the bill would also allow online voter registration: http://www.fairelectionsnetwork.com/blog/connecticut-bucks-national-voter-suppression-trend

Hope it passes.

Wow I missed it Tongue

It already passed on Saturday

http://www.wtnh.com/dpp/news/politics/conn-senate-passes-election-day-registration
AndrewTX
AndrewCT
Junior Chimp

« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2012, 03:12:40 PM »

Weren't you in his district?

No, I was in Chris Perones district, but I knew and worked with Larry.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies