Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 23, 2014, 01:49:37 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Politics
| |-+  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: True Federalist, Former Moderate, Badger)
| | |-+  Connecticut Republicans go crazy as same-day registration passes House
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Poll
Question: Opinion of same day voter registration?
Positive   -36 (70.6%)
Neutral   -3 (5.9%)
Negative   -12 (23.5%)
Show Pie Chart
Total Voters: 51

Author Topic: Connecticut Republicans go crazy as same-day registration passes House  (Read 1366 times)
Napoleon
YaBB God

View Profile
« on: May 01, 2012, 12:04:17 am »
Ignore

It still needs to pass the Senate but Republicans seem especially bitter over the 2010 gubernatorial results.
link
"What happened to my vote that was legal?'' Cafero boomed on the House floor. "What happened to my vote that was legal?''

He asked about the tight 2010 election when "whether true or not, there were widespread allegations of fraud.''

"You come up with your ID or a book bill or some freaking thing with your address on it,'' Cafero said. "Since I was 4 years old, I knew Election Day was the first Tuesday after the first Monday in November. If you can't get it done, wait till next year, pal. Wait till next year.''

"You wanna cheat? You wanna rig an election?'' Cafero asked. "Your vote's gonna count.''

The debate started shortly before 6 p.m. Monday in the historic Hall of the House. The bill now goes to the Senate. If passed there, the registration would not take place until the November 2013 local elections and would not be effective for the 2012 presidential election.

When I was in the third grade, I thought that I was Jewish
Because I could count, my nose was big, and I kept my bank account fullish
I told my mom, tears blurring my vision
He said, "Mort, you've loved God since before circumcision"
greenforest32
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.94, S: -8.43

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 12:13:51 am »
Ignore

You can count on Republicans being against most things that increase voter turnout.

Nearly 14 years later, the Oregon Republican party is still officially opposed to vote-by-mail: http://www.oregonrepublicanparty.org/platform

16.8 - Oregon Republican Party is opposed to Vote By Mail
Page 7 of 7
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Moderators
YaBB God
Austria

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 12:26:05 am »
Ignore

CT is becoming better and better each day. If they get rid of Lieberman and replace him with Murphy, it's officially a FF state.
Napoleon
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 12:28:41 am »
Ignore

CT is becoming better and better each day. If they get rid of Lieberman and replace him with Murphy, it's officially a FF state.

We are already a FF state. Obviously, I am on Team Murphy, though the black Republican candidate, Brian Hill is, well, mildly interesting. Don't worry, I am not going to vote for a Republican candidate (which will probably be McMahon).

black and white band photos
BRTD
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 12:32:14 am »
Ignore

We have same day registration and it works great. Awesome for CT for jumping aboard.

01/05/2004-01/10/2014
○∙◄☻tπ[╪AV┼cV└
jfern
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2012, 12:35:06 am »
Ignore

From the article
In an impassioned speech, House Republican leader Larry Cafero of Norwalk gave a hypothetical that "a little brat from Virginia'' could vote by absentee ballot in a presidential election in his home state and then vote while away at college in Connecticut.

Yes, it's possible to commit a felony that leaves a solid written record that you committed the felony. Of course I bet that Cafero had no problem with absentee ballots that had no postmark and were mailed after election day counting in the 2000 Florida election, but not other elections because Bush didn't need them then.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 12:37:32 am by ○∙◄☻tπ[╪AV┼cV└ »Logged
BRTD
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2012, 12:39:16 am »
Ignore

LOL that reminds me of how insanely easy it'd be for students of MSU-Moorhead who are from Fargo or somewhere else nearby in North Dakota to vote in both states, since North Dakota doesn't even have voter registration, any adult with an ND driver's license can vote there.

01/05/2004-01/10/2014
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Moderators
YaBB God
Austria

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2012, 12:41:23 am »
Ignore

From the article
In an impassioned speech, House Republican leader Larry Cafero of Norwalk gave a hypothetical that "a little brat from Virginia'' could vote by absentee ballot in a presidential election in his home state and then vote while away at college in Connecticut.

Yes, it's possible to commit a felony that leaves a solid written record that you committed the felony. Of course I bet that Cafero had no problem with absentee ballots that had no postmark and were mailed after election day counting in the 2000 Florida election, but not other elections because Bush didn't need them then.

Isn't it possible for a VA college student to be registered to vote in VA and apply for an absentee ballot, and also register to vote in CT when he's studying there, even if there's no same day registration ? There are no cross checks between the states anyway on who is registered in which state to vote, so a voter with 50 homes in 50 states could theoretically be registered to vote in every state and vote in every state ... (?)
BRTD
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2012, 12:53:24 am »
Ignore

Pretty much the case yes. In my example above, it wouldn't be any more difficult for said student in Minnesota to vote in both states even if Minnesota didn't have same day registration, they'd just have to register beforehand and keep their ND driver's license. (I did have an ND driver's license throughout college, but even if I was willing to commit vote fraud I wouldn't be willing to drive 8 hours to do so.)

01/05/2004-01/10/2014
○∙◄☻tπ[╪AV┼cV└
jfern
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2012, 12:59:18 am »
Ignore

From the article

Isn't it possible for a VA college student to be registered to vote in VA and apply for an absentee ballot, and also register to vote in CT when he's studying there, even if there's no same day registration ? There are no cross checks between the states anyway on who is registered in which state to vote, so a voter with 50 homes in 50 states could theoretically be registered to vote in every state and vote in every state ... (?)

Sure, someone could vote in all 50 states if they want to take 1225 chances that someone discovers they voted in 2 states.
wormyguy
YaBB God
Liechtenstein

Political Matrix
E: 4.52, S: -1.57

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2012, 01:27:56 am »
Ignore

Stop making sense.

Of course, there's all sorts of wacky stuff.  MA allows a driver's license as proof of citizenship for registration .... and gives driver's licenses to illegal immigrants.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2012, 01:29:39 am by Senator-elect wormyguy »Logged
True Federalist
Ernest
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2012, 12:38:34 pm »

Given the potential for fraud, I'm not interested in same-day registration.  OTOH, having everyone with a driver's license (or other state-issued ID) be automatically registered to vote makes sense.

My November ballot:
Ervin(I) Gov.
Sellers(D) Lt. Gov.
Hammond(R) Sec. of State
Diggs(D) Att. Gen.
Herbert(D) Comptroller Gen.
Spearman(R) Supt. of Education
DeFelice(American) Commissioner of Agriculture
Hutto(D) US Sen (full)
Scott(R) US Sen (special)
Geddings(Labor) US House SC-2
Quinn(R) SC House District 69
Yes: Amendment 1 (Gen. Assembly may allow and regulate charity raffles)
No: Amendment 2 (end election of the Adjutant General)
Sheriff Buford TX Justice
AndrewCT
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2012, 07:29:22 am »
Ignore

Same day registration is horrible. I've worked the polls every election in Connecticut for the past 5 years, and it would just be a disaster. If you really want to vote, why don't you just go ahead and make sure that you are registered before the election.

My parents are pretty good about smelling a rat. 
Let me put this as clear as I can (saying this to myself, as well, so I can see it): I WILL get a job with CADD and I WILL keep the job.
Sbane
sbane
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2012, 10:11:51 am »
Ignore

Same day registration is horrible. I've worked the polls every election in Connecticut for the past 5 years, and it would just be a disaster. If you really want to vote, why don't you just go ahead and make sure that you are registered before the election.

No, how about the government automatically registers you like Ernest suggested. Then it's up to you whether you want to vote but it won't depend on whether you remembered to register within 15 days before the election. It's not a big deal for us junkies, but normal people aren't always thinking about elections and in many cases don't even know about these laws.
BRTD
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2012, 10:32:20 am »
Ignore

Oh really? It hasn't exactly been a disaster for us.

01/05/2004-01/10/2014
Napoleon
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2012, 10:37:13 am »
Ignore

Susan isn't SoS anymore.

asexual trans victimologist
Nathan
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2012, 10:40:23 am »
Ignore

From the article

Sure, someone could vote in all 50 states if they want to take 1225 chances that someone discovers they voted in 2 states.

That's where fake names come in handy.

On a completely unrelated note, if I ever post while traveling through New York in late October or early November, which is entirely possible since it's the state my best friend lives in, you're to address me as either Joe-Jack Hekmatyar or Skip Makioka.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 10:57:17 am by Nathan »Logged

A shameless agrarian collectivist with no respect for private property or individual rights.

His idea of freedom is - it is a bad thing and should be stopped at all costs.

Nathan-land.  As much fun as watching paint dry... literally.
homelycooking
YaBB God
Belize

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2012, 10:55:48 am »
Ignore

What would Connecticut politics be without Lawrence F. Cafero, Jr.?
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 03, 2012, 11:55:37 pm »
Ignore

i don't get why connecticut republicans are freaking out about this. Most Connecticut republicans aren't overly conservative and the only one I can think of who was (Gary Franks) still wasn't by any means a Jim DeMint.

-1.38, -1.38
AndrewCT
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2012, 10:59:27 am »
Ignore

I know, right? Larry is a cool guy.

Let me put this as clear as I can (saying this to myself, as well, so I can see it): I WILL get a job with CADD and I WILL keep the job.
Napoleon
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2012, 11:50:06 am »
Ignore

Weren't you in his district?

greenforest32
YaBB God

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2012, 02:42:11 pm »
Ignore

Wow, just found out that in addition to election day registration, the bill would also allow online voter registration: http://www.fairelectionsnetwork.com/blog/connecticut-bucks-national-voter-suppression-trend

The Connecticut House of Representatives passed a bill this week that would allow eligible residents to register to vote on Election Day and would create an online voter registration system. Gov. Dan Malloy issued the following comments: Passage of this legislation demonstrates Connecticuts commitment to fair, accessible elections, and I applaud the House for their action on this bill. Weve sent a clear signal to the rest of the country that Connecticut will not go in the direction of other states.

The bill will now move to the Connecticut Senate. If passed, the Election Day registration provision would go into effect on July 1, 2013 and the online voter registration provision would go into effect on January 1, 2014. Connecticut would join eight states that currently allow Election Day registration and 11 states with online voter registration.

Hope it passes.
greenforest32
YaBB God

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2012, 09:16:54 am »
Ignore

Wow, just found out that in addition to election day registration, the bill would also allow online voter registration: http://www.fairelectionsnetwork.com/blog/connecticut-bucks-national-voter-suppression-trend

The Connecticut House of Representatives passed a bill this week that would allow eligible residents to register to vote on Election Day and would create an online voter registration system. Gov. Dan Malloy issued the following comments: Passage of this legislation demonstrates Connecticuts commitment to fair, accessible elections, and I applaud the House for their action on this bill. Weve sent a clear signal to the rest of the country that Connecticut will not go in the direction of other states.

The bill will now move to the Connecticut Senate. If passed, the Election Day registration provision would go into effect on July 1, 2013 and the online voter registration provision would go into effect on January 1, 2014. Connecticut would join eight states that currently allow Election Day registration and 11 states with online voter registration.

Hope it passes.

Wow I missed it Tongue

It already passed on Saturday

http://www.wtnh.com/dpp/news/politics/conn-senate-passes-election-day-registration
AndrewCT
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2012, 03:12:40 pm »
Ignore

Weren't you in his district?

No, I was in Chris Perones district, but I knew and worked with Larry.

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout