Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2014, 10:21:03 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Don't forget to get your 2013 Gubernatorial Endorsements and Predictions in!

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Politics
| |-+  International General Discussion (Moderators: Peter, afleitch)
| | |-+  Canada: One-Year Anniversary of Conservative Take-Over
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Canada: One-Year Anniversary of Conservative Take-Over  (Read 636 times)
Frodo
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« on: May 01, 2012, 09:44:18 pm »
Ignore

Thoughts?

Government survives first year majority

BY MARK DUNN, SENIOR NATIONAL REPORTER
FIRST POSTED: TUESDAY, MAY 01, 2012 05:59 PM EDT |
UPDATED: TUESDAY, MAY 01, 2012 09:31 PM EDT

OTTAWA - Prime Minister Stephen Harper blew out candles this week to mark his 53rd birthday. Wednesday, he gets to celebrate the one-year anniversary of his first majority Conservative government.

And what a year it's been from erratic ministers and stealth fighter procurement headaches and ramming through an omnibus crime bill to ditching the long-gun registry and burying the Canadian Wheat Board.

While one opposition party mourned the death of its leader and the other the wounding of its brand and both accused the Conservatives of cheating to win last year's vote, Harper pushed through his agenda with ease and controversy.

And fights were picked along the way.

I am stabbed by grace and slinging blood
BRTD
YaBB God
Sweden

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 09:50:03 pm »
Ignore

Quite the dissonance between this and the death of bin Laden.

Famous True Leftists:

LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 09:55:55 pm »
Ignore

May Mulcair save Canada. We already know where US is headed, but maybe we wont have to move that far.
Hatman
EarlAW
YaBB God
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -4.97, S: -6.00

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 12:09:45 am »
Ignore

I remember coming home (to my parents house) that night after maybe 4 hours of leaflet dropping and remembering it being on TV.

http://canadianelectionatlas.blogspot.com

Follow me on Twitter @EarlWashburn
I am stabbed by grace and slinging blood
BRTD
YaBB God
Sweden

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 12:16:32 am »
Ignore

I remember coming home (to my parents house) that night after maybe 4 hours of leaflet dropping and remembering it being on TV.

I came home from a show, meaning that I will always remember that show, and the convo I had with my mom on the phone while walking to it about how I was excited because of Canada's elections. Then I come home and learned bin Laden is dead. What a night.

Famous True Leftists:

RogueBeaver
YaBB God
Canada

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2012, 07:01:44 am »
Ignore

I have a few disappointments- mostly in the government. This year has so far been marked by an unending string of banana peels and Harper failing to use the deep bench of Cabinet talent (plus a Cabinet twice as large as it should be) effectively. For the opposition, I'm just deeply disappointed that this alignment is probably permanent.

+7.35, +3.65

Is it excessive to hold a politician's feet to the fire for giving his base the run around at every turn?
PASOK Leader Hashemite
Hashemite
Moderators
YaBB God
Pitcairn

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2012, 04:11:53 pm »
Ignore

The Purgatories actually took over in 2006, but I digress. As for my thoughts on this first anniversary of the worst day in my life, I'll only say that this government has proven far worse than even my wildest nightmares. But the slow destruction of this country was to be expected from a Purgatory majority.

A Message to the People of France:

A Message to Manuel Valls
The Kingfish
Obamaisdabest
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2012, 04:28:22 pm »
Ignore

Breaking news: Hashemite slams the Tories

In other news, the Pope has confirmed his Catholicism

Vosem
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2012, 04:31:33 pm »
Ignore

May this majority enjoy many more years. (Well, there's definitely 3 more at the least).
RogueBeaver
YaBB God
Canada

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2012, 04:46:52 pm »
Ignore

The person who pleasantly surprised me the most in Cabinet this past year was John Baird, of all people. For the Dippers, most promising frosh are Boulerice and Laverdiere.

Grits: Did pretty well, but Tom Mulcair's election is probably the final nail in your coffin.

+7.35, +3.65

Is it excessive to hold a politician's feet to the fire for giving his base the run around at every turn?
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2012, 05:16:33 pm »
Ignore

The Purgatories actually took over in 2006, but I digress. As for my thoughts on this first anniversary of the worst day in my life, I'll only say that this government has proven far worse than even my wildest nightmares. But the slow destruction of this country was to be expected from a Purgatory majority.
Would you go as far as saying that Bush is better? For example if they swapped posts.
Holmes
YaBB God
Canada

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2012, 05:49:22 pm »
Ignore

The person who pleasantly surprised me the most in Cabinet this past year was John Baird, of all people. For the Dippers, most promising frosh are Boulerice and Laverdiere.

Not Leslie? I'd keep an eye on her. Baird is pretty competent, imo. Clement has become damaged goods, looking like McKay is on his way as well.

RogueBeaver
YaBB God
Canada

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2012, 08:05:13 pm »
Ignore

I like Leslie a lot (in fact, I'll tip her as the next non-Tory PM assuming this alignment is permanent) but she's a sophomore, not frosh. For the Liberals, their most promising personalities are, IMO, Brison, Hsu, Lamoureux, Trudeau.

Agreed on Clement but not MacKay. Harper wants to make him politically radioactive rather than go through the hassle of removing him and causing a media sh**tstorm.

+7.35, +3.65

Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout