Opinion of the Blair Labour government (1997-2007) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:34:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Opinion of the Blair Labour government (1997-2007) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Huh
Freedom Government

Horrible Government

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 28

Author Topic: Opinion of the Blair Labour government (1997-2007)  (Read 1599 times)
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« on: May 02, 2012, 06:59:40 AM »

One of the more amusing things about Blair's autobiography is his apparent regret for basically all the achievements of his government.

Yes. I did find that amusing; though I have a feeling most PM's feel the same way once they look back.

For me I have to split it down the middle. 1997-2001 was a good government. Hands down. 2001-2005 was mired by the Iraq War, though I never really gave two hoots about it as a major issue really. 2005-2007 was almost spectral in that it's clear that Blair no longer cared.

Like most Tories we don't tend to dismiss the other side simply because they are the other side. Blair's government wasn't bad for what it was. 'New Labour' (which is now ironically 'old') was the ideological heir of Thatcherism, though curiously without being 'Majorist.' On the other hand the current government is a continuation of Majorism (which in itself was a continuation of Thatcherism, but in a different way, if you can follow) which may account for it's current state of malaise.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies