Romney's foreign policy spokesman "resigns" for being gay
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:33:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Romney's foreign policy spokesman "resigns" for being gay
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Romney's foreign policy spokesman "resigns" for being gay  (Read 1659 times)
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 01, 2012, 03:03:38 PM »
« edited: May 01, 2012, 03:19:46 PM by Snowstalker »

http://maddowblog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/05/01/11489342-conservatives-force-grenells-ouster?lite

Not from the most unbiased source, but it's certainly worth a look.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2012, 03:15:57 PM »

There's a difference between resigning and being fired.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/right-turn/post/exclusive-richard-grenell-hounded-from-romney-campaign-by-anti-gay-conservatives/2012/05/01/gIQAccGcuT_blog.html

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2012, 03:16:54 PM »

More profiles in courage from the Mittens campaign.
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2012, 03:17:50 PM »

He clearly didn't want to leave the job but was effectively forced to. I'll tweak the title if it pleases you.
MASHED POTATOES. VOTE!
Kalwejt
Atlas Institution

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2012, 03:18:45 PM »

Waiting for Winfield and Politico to jump in.
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2012, 03:19:51 PM »

I guess Grover Norquist knew something more than us when he said that President Romney will be just a figurehead and that conservatives will run the show.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2012, 03:20:19 PM »

He clearly didn't want to leave the job but was effectively forced to. I'll tweak the title if it pleases you.

Where does he make it "clear" that he was forced to leave?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2012, 03:22:52 PM »

No need to wait for P and W, when T is here. Tongue

Mittens has had gays work for him since rocks cooled, and I doubt much of "the base" cares. How mean, look at Cheney's daughter. No, she was fired because she was a loose cannon. You don't want your staff to be a distraction. Mittens deserves the benefit of the doubt on this one. He has started repeatedly that he opposes any form of gay discrimination ... except when it comes to calling their unions "marriage."
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2012, 03:24:20 PM »

By the fact of his resignation, given that there was no other reason for him to leave and no one is obligated to take "I want to spend more time with my family" at face value.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2012, 03:28:39 PM »

By the fact of his resignation, given that there was no other reason for him to leave and no one is obligated to take "I want to spend more time with my family" at face value.

So, what you're saying is that when people resign, if you don't see a good reason for his/her resignation, that means we should assume he/she was forced out?
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2012, 03:31:37 PM »

And how can you say there was "no other reason for him to leave"?  Perhaps the guy didn't want the attention that was being put on him.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2012, 03:33:49 PM »

Maybe he decided that he just wasn't very good at the job, and could achieve more self actualization in another venue.  And I mean, with all of the Dems' drums pounding out the Pub war on women message, I'm sure team Mittens agreed that Grenell's human capital could better be maximized elsewhere.

Guys, in short, I would have fired the "f****t's"  ass pronto, and hey some of my best "friends" are gay. Honest!  Smiley
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2012, 03:56:30 PM »

Here's what we know:

1. Lots of gays work for Republicans, way more than people think, and including severe conservatives.
2. Grenell had some mishaps and missteps that would not have been a firing offense.
3. Social conservatives who felt Romney still hasn't sealed the deal with him, or shown that he's really on their side, wanted Grenell out, and were making public complaints.
4. The fact they felt this way made Grenell more prominent by definition, and therefore made his tweets more newsworthy
5. All together, it made it easy for him to be asked to leave to both avoid further trouble and give Romney credibility with the socons who feel he's not one of them.
6. Romney, if elected, will surely hire some gays in his administation.

There's no black and white. Grenell was surely treated differently and asked to leave because he was gay. However, it's conceivable to see other gays working for the Romney campaign and administration and not being purged. It's just awkward but it is what it is. 
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2012, 04:00:02 PM »

And how can you say there was "no other reason for him to leave"?  Perhaps the guy didn't want the attention that was being put on him.

...by people who wanted him out because he was gay. Right?
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2012, 04:03:00 PM »

Has anyone actually read Jenifer Rubin's post?

Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2012, 04:19:39 PM »

There's no black and white. Grenell was surely treated differently and asked to leave because he was gay. However, it's conceivable to see other gays working for the Romney campaign and administration and not being purged. It's just awkward but it is what it is. 

You contradict yourself in the span of a sentence... you have NO proof that he was asked to leave, and certainly not because he was gay.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2012, 04:21:20 PM »

...by people who wanted him out because he was gay. Right?

Why is that so hard to believe?  Maybe the guy didn't want to be hauled into the spotlight.  He was a foreign policy spokesman for a campaign... people in those types of positions typically like talking about what their boss wants to do.  A lot of political staff don't like it when the focus of the story shifts to them and their personal lives.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2012, 05:15:16 PM »

You contradict yourself in the span of a sentence... you have NO proof that he was asked to leave, and certainly not because he was gay.

Your standard of proof is absurd and irrelevant, just as when you say that no precedent on federal recognition of marriage is binding because "it's not the same thing." I've never been to Venice so I have no "proof" it exists. I'm ok with that.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2012, 06:36:55 PM »

Aol News/Huffpo seems to state that Romney actually asked him to stay on and not leave.

It also states that numerous earlier reports were either incorrect or misleading.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2012, 08:42:35 PM »

God help me... I'm going to defend Romney here... but surely it wasn't unknown beforehand?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2012, 09:27:01 PM »

Aol News/Huffpo seems to state that Romney actually asked him to stay on and not leave.

It also states that numerous earlier reports were either incorrect or misleading.

It is nice sometimes to wait for the facts, rather than go wild with speculation (no matter how much fun that may be), isn't it?  Anyway, on to the next contretemps. I expect a lotof them this election season. It is going to be a lot of silly in the season.  Fasten your seatbelt. 
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2012, 10:33:22 PM »

Your standard of proof is absurd and irrelevant, just as when you say that no precedent on federal recognition of marriage is binding because "it's not the same thing." I've never been to Venice so I have no "proof" it exists. I'm ok with that.

Why is the burden of proof on me?  If the burden of proof is on me to prove that he wasn't fired for being gay, then every wrongful termination case would place the burden of proof on the employer.  I'm sorry, but that's not how it works.  And what on earth are you talking about federal gay marriage for?

I'm asking for any shred of evidence that he was fired for being gay.  And you can provide none.

Again, it's much more likely that the guy didn't want to be subject to added attention and just decided to leave.
mondale84
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -3.30

P P P
« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2012, 10:40:43 PM »

This guy very clearly left because the wingnuts were upset that Romney had hired an openly gay spokesman, it's not very difficult to understand. They obviously hate DU GAYZ...
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P

« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2012, 10:59:00 PM »

This guy very clearly left because the wingnuts were upset that Romney had hired an openly gay spokesman, it's not very difficult to understand. They obviously hate DU GAYZ...

Yeah.  That much is obvious.  But why did he leave?  Because he was urged to resign or because he didn't want to suffer the brunt of unfair personal attacks?
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2012, 12:36:49 AM »

When Jenifer Rubin and Ari Fleischer of all people don't buy the official Romney campaign story then why should we? Unless of course you consider them closet lefties who want to undermine the Republican candidate.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies