Ron Paul wins 21 of 25 delegates elected in Iowa
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 18, 2024, 09:30:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Ron Paul wins 21 of 25 delegates elected in Iowa
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Ron Paul wins 21 of 25 delegates elected in Iowa  (Read 2261 times)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 17, 2012, 12:50:20 AM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.
http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/06/16/ron-paul-wins-21-25-delegates-elected-in-iowa/
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 12:52:24 AM »

Man, if Rick Santorum had stayed in until the end we could have totally had a brokered convention. Sad
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2012, 12:56:12 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aM9pXlxkomQ
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2012, 01:16:41 AM »

I find this really egregious.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2012, 01:26:04 AM »

Republicans and democracy don't seem to go together.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2012, 01:35:54 AM »

A bunch of pledged delegates are now suing saying that it's illegal for the party to make them pledge for a candidate. The fact that they found 163 in the 9th circuit alone can't be good for the Romney camp.

"The first 123 delegates, all from the 9th Circuit, sued the RNC, its Chairman Rince Priebus, and every state party chairman in the 9th Circuit in Federal Court on Monday, demanding the right to vote for the candidate of their choice on every ballot at the Republican National Convention, including the first.
     The delegates claim the party violated federal law by forcing them to sign loyalty affidavits, under threat of perjury, to vote for Mitt Romney, though he is not yet the official nominee.
Some people are saying that Palin could jump in:
" "If the judge rules in our favor, I won't be surprised if three or four new candidates, say Sarah Palin, jump in and say they want to be considered," Gilbert said.
Legally, the case may hinge on whether the judge accepts the plaintiffs' claim that the nominating convention is a "federal" election. Courts have traditionally given the two major political parties considerable leeway in managing their own affairs, for instance, in whether state parties may hold open or closed primaries."

http://www.courthousenews.com/2012/06/15/47495.htm

What I don't understand is, if the nominating convention is a federal election, what about the equal protection clause? Surely the caucus/tiered convention system doesn't hold up scrutiny as not discriminating against those who can't attend every single convention meeting, because of physical, or logistical issues, or those states that have fewer delegates simply because they gave their electoral votes to Obama in 2008, or those states that were penalized for violating the schedule. I mean, if this system meets the requirements for a federal election, what is to prevent a state from holding its general election through a tiered convention system?
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2012, 06:20:23 AM »

I find it egregious that Mittens can steal delegates in ND and VI, but that's the system; learn to make it work for you.
WhyteRain
Political Matrix
E: 6.19, S: -2.78

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2012, 12:18:07 PM »

One of my sisters and her husband are constitutents of Ron Paul.  She told me she votes for him at every election.

Overall, I'd say Paul is a bad messenger with a good message.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2012, 02:53:33 PM »

I find it egregious that Mittens can steal delegates in ND and VI, but that's the system; learn to make it work for you.

"Tough, get used to it" coming from a libertarian is a little strange.

I know it's "the system," but it's still allowed to suck. It's a travesty when any candidate is able to steal delegates and discredit the will of the people. Wouldn't it be a better and more democratic system if delegates were allocated exactly proportionate to the popular vote?

Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2012, 02:58:51 PM »

"Tough, get used to it" coming from a libertarian is a little strange.

I know it's "the system," but it's still allowed to suck. It's a travesty when any candidate is able to steal delegates and discredit the will of the people. Wouldn't it be a better and more democratic system if delegates were allocated exactly proportionate to the popular vote?

Would you be complaining if Romney was doing what Paul is doing? Paul is using the same system that was meant to keep him down.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2012, 03:04:47 PM »

I would be complaining. I just said... It's a travesty when any candidate is able to steal delegates. It's not the way democracy is supposed to work and I think it's offensive to the people who voted.

If Ron Paul won in Iowa, he should walk out with the most delegates. He did not win in Iowa, so he should not. Not really seeing how this is controversial.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2012, 03:20:20 PM »

New mentality of voters: Why even bother to vote in the primary when the delegates are decided at the state convention?

This is undemocratic - GOP voters should be represented with delegate selection, and sending 21 of 25 for Paul does NOT reflect Iowa Republicans at all.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2012, 03:48:13 PM »

Man, if Rick Santorum had stayed in until the end we could have totally had a brokered convention. Sad
That's probably why he didn't.
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2012, 03:53:41 PM »

What happened in ND and IA would be good reason to rethink the entire primary system.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2012, 03:57:47 PM »

"Hitler finds out 2006 meme still in production."
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2012, 04:18:40 PM »

Of course, one could ask, why even have delegates at all?  Why not just have the primary/caucus vote automatically determine who the nominee is, without having to go through the intermediate step of delegates?  The answer of course being that the assumption that the "voters" should determine who the nominee is is still a relatively new thing, and most of the system that we have is a holdover from the era of smoke-filled rooms.

But no, this is not going to cause a re-think of the nominating process.  Assuming that Romney still wins the nomination on the first ballot as expected, no one is going to remember this in six months.  The 2016 primaries will operate under exactly the same rules as the 2012 primaries, because the national parties just don't care about the silliness of the caucus system or delegate allocation.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies