Should it be illegal to kill animals for food?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 01:52:06 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Should it be illegal to kill animals for food?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Poll
Question: Killing animals for food is:
moral and should be legal

moral and should be illegal

immoral and should be legal

immoral and should be illegal

amoral and should be legal

amoral and should be illegal

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 74

Author Topic: Should it be illegal to kill animals for food?  (Read 11447 times)
Incipimus iterum
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: June 02, 2012, 11:01:31 AM »

well i come from a family that likes to hunt, my uncle gets deer elk meat for fodus for the holidays and well besides i don't think it should be illegal
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #51 on: June 02, 2012, 11:50:52 AM »

A couple of you want to make it illegal for me to eat meat?  Really? How is that even enforceable?  Are we going to hire a bunch of meat police?

Pretty minimal enforcement (e.g., licensing) would probably be enough to drastically cut down on meat consumption.

Did you rip off the licensing thing from me in chatting with Badger about the penalty for abortionists? Tongue  Can you imagine what will happen to the value of my Iowa corn fields if folks all stopped eating meat?  Oh the horror! 

This is true.  The massive amounts of superfluous agricultural product needed to maintain livestock certainly helps Iowa, and if they can keep methanol afloat...my idyllic enforcement regime is pretty screwed.  Damn, and we were so close to hitting 1% popular support in the polls!
The Simpsons Cinematic Universe
MustCrushCapitalism
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.23, S: -2.78

« Reply #52 on: June 02, 2012, 12:01:00 PM »

>Morality

Nope.

Why does this question even exist? Do some people actually want our species to go extinct? Animal abuse laws should exist, but going as far as to illegalize a major source of food for humanity is a terrible idea for reasons that need not be explained.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #53 on: June 02, 2012, 12:08:47 PM »

Why does this question even exist? Do some people actually want our species to go extinct?

You're definitely going to have to explain this one
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #54 on: June 02, 2012, 12:10:51 PM »

>Morality

Nope.

Why does this question even exist? Do some people actually want our species to go extinct? Animal abuse laws should exist, but going as far as to illegalize a major source of food for humanity is a terrible idea for reasons that need not be explained.

I am a meat lover myself, but humans can easily survive without meat and its more energy efficient to eat the plants yourself than having them processed by an animal which you then eat. So in terms of avoiding food shortage we should all go vegetarian.
The Simpsons Cinematic Universe
MustCrushCapitalism
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.23, S: -2.78

« Reply #55 on: June 02, 2012, 12:21:02 PM »

Meat is a massive food source for our species that is easily producible. We don't have enough resources to feed our entire planet as it is.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #56 on: June 02, 2012, 02:53:19 PM »

A couple of you want to make it illegal for me to eat meat?  Really? How is that even enforceable?  Are we going to hire a bunch of meat police?

Pretty minimal enforcement (e.g., licensing) would probably be enough to drastically cut down on meat consumption.

Did you rip off the licensing thing from me in chatting with Badger about the penalty for abortionists? Tongue  Can you imagine what will happen to the value of my Iowa corn fields if folks all stopped eating meat?  Oh the horror!  

At least you realize animals eat plants. I don't even know how to argue with people who don't think cows and pigs eat plants...

I'd recommend meat eaters just stick to "Meat is tasty and I don't care about animals." No, you won't get to prove vegetarianism wrong like you so desperately want, but a vegetarian can't necessarily argue with that. But any time you make it an issue of morality or science, you will lose.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #57 on: June 02, 2012, 02:56:26 PM »

Meat is a massive food source for our species that is easily producible. We don't have enough resources to feed our entire planet as it is.
You didnt get my point. Eating animals wastes energy, so its an inefficient way to produce food and a waste of valuable resources.
Redalgo
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #58 on: June 02, 2012, 03:49:43 PM »

Also, there are enough resources to feed the whole planet. It's just that folks have other priorities.
Torie
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #59 on: June 02, 2012, 06:21:03 PM »
« Edited: June 02, 2012, 06:23:00 PM by Torie »

Did you rip off the licensing thing from me in chatting with Badger about the penalty for abortionists? Tongue  Can you imagine what will happen to the value of my Iowa corn fields if folks all stopped eating meat?  Oh the horror!  

At least you realize animals eat plants. I don't even know how to argue with people who don't think cows and pigs eat plants...

I'd recommend meat eaters just stick to "Meat is tasty and I don't care about animals." No, you won't get to prove vegetarianism wrong like you so desperately want, but a vegetarian can't necessarily argue with that. But any time you make it an issue of morality or science, you will lose.

What on earth gave you the idea that I "desperately" want to "prove vegetarianism wrong?"  I don't give a damn what people eat (putting aside the "fats" thing), just let me have my meat (which beyond the satiation aspect, also helps one buff up).  By the way, are we just talking about mammals, or any animal?  How about insects?  
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #60 on: June 02, 2012, 08:46:53 PM »

Only the first paragraph was a response to you.

The second paragraph was in response to the anti-veg crowd in general.
Torie
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #61 on: June 02, 2012, 08:49:18 PM »

Only the first paragraph was a response to you.

The second paragraph was in response to the anti-veg crowd in general.

Oh OK. I thought you had lost it there for a moment. Smiley I am still interested in my insect question, or birds or fish, or whatever. Are some animals 'better" than others?
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #62 on: June 02, 2012, 11:30:24 PM »

...I don't eat bugs if that's what you're asking. Tongue
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #63 on: June 02, 2012, 11:44:25 PM »

That is 100% wrong.  We (as a species) make WAY more food than we need.  I don't know why this myth gets perpetuated.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #64 on: June 03, 2012, 05:52:02 AM »

Remember trophic levels from high school biology?  If we get x energy from beef, we need to feed that beef far more than x energy level in agricultural product.  Meat consumption, on the macro level, is actually a pretty massive waste of resources.

I don't give a damn what people eat (putting aside the "fats" thing), just let me have my meat (which beyond the satiation aspect, also helps one buff up).  By the way, are we just talking about mammals, or any animal?  How about insects?  

I think most people make some sort of distinction between the rights or rights-bearing creatures.  I mean, carnivorous humans do -- the question is if it's the most logically defensible one...
Torie
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #65 on: June 03, 2012, 09:21:34 AM »
« Edited: June 03, 2012, 10:56:24 AM by Torie »

That is 100% wrong.  We (as a species) make WAY more food than we need.  I don't know why this myth gets perpetuated.

Yes, but the cost is the thing here. One public policy argument with some traction here I think for cutting down on meat consumption is that it will reduce the price of grains by some amount (you don't need to plant as much marginal land with higher production costs), which is the single best thing one can do to increase the well being of the poorest of the poor on this planet, and the single most compelling reason why ethanol subsidies which suck up grains in exactly the same way as cows and pigs do, is sheer unadulterated evil. The cost of basic food staples is where the rubber meets the road,  when you make 3 dollars a day.

I remember reading about the British corn laws, and some 19th century economist or whomever, noticing that the wheat fields in Britain (corn equals wheat for the Brits because they really don't speak "English"  Tongue) ) were spreading up onto the uplands due to inflated prices (due to import quotas and/or tariffs in that instance). He knew something was rotten in Denmark because he could see it with his own two beady little eyes. So when it becomes profitable for me to cut down the trees on the slopes of my farm, and plant a crop, you know things have really gone out of control. So, next time you are in Iowa, take a look at just how much corn is growing on steeper slopes. If you see it growing on the "Iowa Alps" of Madison County, call your Congressman.

See I can argue both sides of an issue at the drop of a hat. Tongue

I do think there is a genetic consanguinity component to this vegan thing. Few would object if you consume protozoa. Another component is the pet thing. Few would not object when it comes to eating cats and dogs, or presumably those foxes which have been bred into pets, with cute floppy ears, and a loveable disposition.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #66 on: June 07, 2012, 03:06:12 PM »

There are certain animals, such as dogs, that it should be illegal to kill period, let alone for food.

Other than that, I'd say it's OK.
RIP Robert H Bork
officepark
Junior Chimp
Czech Republic

« Reply #67 on: June 07, 2012, 04:28:03 PM »

There are certain animals, such as dogs, that it should be illegal to kill period, let alone for food.

Other than that, I'd say it's OK.

I see you haven't been attacked by a dog....
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies