Should it be illegal to kill animals for food? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:12:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Should it be illegal to kill animals for food? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Killing animals for food is:
moral and should be legal

moral and should be illegal

immoral and should be legal

immoral and should be illegal

amoral and should be legal

amoral and should be illegal

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 74

Author Topic: Should it be illegal to kill animals for food?  (Read 11592 times)
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« on: May 03, 2012, 11:01:51 AM »

Wow, I didn't realize how many left-leaning folk only apply humanist principles within speciesist moral parameters. Maybe I'm quite a bit more radical in perspective than my PM score suggests.

Humanist principles are, quite obviously, for humans.

I used the term humanist instead of personist since the latter is not one most people are familiar with. It is tolerable if folks prefer to apply its prescriptions only to human beings but I figure such a stance is anti-egalitarian in its implication that a human in-group should dominate and also exploit subordinate animal out-groups irrespective of their interests and sophistication of mental faculties.

Who said anything about not taking mental faculties into account? "Personism" would only apply to people. Obviously when most of us think about killing animals for food we're thinking about animals with lower intelligence than humans, or in other words beings we don't consider to be people. I imagine if cows started talking and holding intelligent conversations our answer in regards to cows would be different.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies