Ethical Philosophy Test (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:17:57 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Ethical Philosophy Test (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Ethical Philosophy Test  (Read 27737 times)
Storebought
YaBB God
« on: January 16, 2005, 12:17:10 PM »

1.    Nietzsche   (100%)  Click here for info
2.    Jean-Paul Sartre   (95%)  Click here for info
3.    David Hume   (84%)  Click here for info
4.    Thomas Hobbes   (71%)  Click here for info
5.    Stoics   (68%)  Click here for info
6.    Epicureans   (64%)  Click here for info
7.    Spinoza   (64%)  Click here for info
8.    Kant   (60%)  Click here for info
9.    Ayn Rand   (50%)  Click here for info
10.    Prescriptivism   (47%)  Click here for info
11.    John Stuart Mill   (45%)  Click here for info
12.    Nel Noddings   (42%)  Click here for info
13.    St. Augustine   (39%)  Click here for info
14.    Jeremy Bentham   (37%)  Click here for info
15.    Cynics   (35%)  Click here for info
16.    Aristotle   (34%)  Click here for info
17.    Aquinas   (29%)  Click here for info
18.    Plato   (29%)  Click here for info
19.    Ockham   (28%)  Click here for info

Strange.....I consider myself at least partially utilitarian and yet JSM was only a 45% match and Bentham a 37% match.

You think that "God is dead" then?

Put it in context:

Have you heard of that madman who lit a lantern in the bright morning hours, ran to the market place, and cried incessantly, "I seek God! I seek God!" As many of those who do not believe in God were standing around just then, he provoked much laughter...

Whither is God," he cried. "I shall tell you. We have killed him - you and I. All of us are murderers.... God is dead. God remains dead. And we have killed him...

(The Gay Science 1882)

So first of all Nietzsche himself didn't proclaim that "God is dead", a character - no less a madman - in one of his books proclaimed as such.

Secondly, it is not meant to be taken literally, Nietzsche's character does not mean that God is literally dead, his point is that what God represents in Western society is dead, that the Christian notion of God was losing its application as great numbers of intellectuals and writers in Europe at the time had abandoned traditional Christianity. The idea is that God is dead in the hearts of man, replaced by rationalism and science.

It was all part of his case for a "superman".

Here is a quote from Wikipedia:

Nietzsche is also well-known for the statement "God is dead." While in popular belief it is Nietzsche himself who blatantly made this declaration, it was actually placed into the mouth of a character, a "madman," in The Gay Science, and later was proclaimed by Nietzsche's Zarathustra. This largely misunderstood statement does not proclaim a physical death, but a natural end to the belief in God being the foundation of western philosophy. It is more of an observation than a declaration and it is noteworthy that Nietzsche never felt the need to advance any arguments for atheism. Nietzsche believed this "death" would eventually undermine the foundations of morality and lead to moral relativism and nihilism. To avoid this, he believed in re-evaluating the foundations of morality and placing them on a natural foundation.

------------------------

It seems to me that the proclamation is coming true, accepted moral standards have been undermined and people have been re-evaluating them, traditional marriage, abortion, stem cell research. Much of Western philosophy is n o longer concerned with a belief in God, just look at Russell.

Of course, that could be just the editors of Wikipedia apologizing to its readers. Because that contradicts nearly entirely what the Encyclopaedia Brittanica has to say about Nietzsche.

And about Russell: He had to give up his mathematical career when his principle work, the Principia Mathematica, was found to be just a tautology.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies