American Gold
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 08:22:48 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  American Gold
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3]
Author Topic: American Gold  (Read 12386 times)
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: June 18, 2012, 06:15:16 PM »

Is it just me, or is there a lot of variation on where MLK was politically?  His niece (the most knowledgable source I've found yet) claims he was an economic and cultural conservative, but a social progressive.  I'm assuming that means he's a libertarian.  But which party would he be in?  His was a registered republican until JFK got MLK Jr out of prison.  So does anyone know how MLK voted?  (I'm almost positive MLK was in a commercial for LBJ in 64)

No, the only reason he would have been a Republican was becuase of "de great Liberator"

Who's that?

I believe he's referring to Lincoln.

I'll be going out of town for two weeks, so I'll try to finish a big update for today.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix
E: 10.00, S: -4.26

« Reply #51 on: June 18, 2012, 06:58:51 PM »

Is it just me, or is there a lot of variation on where MLK was politically?  His niece (the most knowledgable source I've found yet) claims he was an economic and cultural conservative, but a social progressive.  I'm assuming that means he's a libertarian.  But which party would he be in?  His was a registered republican until JFK got MLK Jr out of prison.  So does anyone know how MLK voted?  (I'm almost positive MLK was in a commercial for LBJ in 64)

No, the only reason he would have been a Republican was becuase of "de great Liberator"

Who's that?

I believe he's referring to Lincoln.

I'll be going out of town for two weeks, so I'll try to finish a big update for today.

Cool Wink
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #52 on: July 14, 2012, 10:18:31 PM »

Bump! I was missing this. Where ya been?
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #53 on: July 16, 2012, 07:22:02 AM »

Pennsylvania

Democrats

Vice President Edmund Brown (D-CA) - 460,512 - 51.5%
Senator George McGovern (D-SD) - 412,364 - 46.1%
Others - 20,387 - 2.4%

Republicans

General William Westmoreland (R-SC) - 431,789 - 36.9%
Governor George Romney (R-MI) - 398,094 - 34.1%
Governor Nelson Rockefeller (R-NY) - 326,132 - 27.9%
Others - 11,902 - 1.1%

Vice President Brown received a modest victory in the Pennsylvania primary, largely in part due to heavy union turnout in his favor. The victory also helped reinforce the notion that he was the Democratic front runner, which some began to doubt after his loss in Wisconsin. Still, the race for the Democratic nomination was still close: neither candidate had completely smashed the other in a primary.

Brown was shackled by President Johnson from coming out completely against the War in Vietnam and reaching a quick peace settlement. A direct and clear stance against the war would cut into McGovern's base of support and make his candidacy meaningless. While he was in favor, he could not risk alienating Johnson who could turn the party machinery against him, and force the convention to nominate a more loyal supporter.

General Westmoreland finally scored a win in the primaries in Pennsylvania. The more agrarian counties came out heavily for him, while suburbanites and more moderate voters, still wary of Westmoreland, split between Romney and Rockefeller. Romney was able to come out far ahead and keep it close by being the favorite of many blue collar workers, especially in Western Pennsylvania, which was similar to his native Michigan. Rockefeller's performance seemed to be waning and his support was propped up due to a regional effect.

Rockefeller found himself in a precarious condition: he either had to end his slump fast or risk dropping out. Some of his supporters were leaving his candidacy for Romney's and Westmoreland's win finally gave him real credibility in the eyes of Republican voters.

Vice President Brown, wanting to lighten the burden of vigorous campaigning and to reinforce his position in states he considered himself weak, got loyal surrogates to fill in for him. They would control their state's delegates and pledge them to Brown at the convention.

Senator Stephen Young (D-OH) and Senator George Smathers (D-FL) were both surrogates for Vice President Brown

In the Rustbelt, Senator Stephen Young (D-OH) would be on the ballot in Ohio and Governor Roger Branigan (D-IN) would be on the ballot in Indiana in Brown's place. Their selections were considered crucial due to McGovern's strength in the Midwest. While Florida was more unfavorable to McGovern, Senator George Smathers (D-FL) was selected for logistical purposes: it saved money and time to keep Brown out of Florida and in Washington or on the campaign trail.

Senator McGovern had ballot access in all three states and vowed to campaign in them regardless of the presence of the favorite sons. It was not a choice of pride but rather a choice of necessity: he needed as many wins or strong performances as possible to keep his insurgent campaign afloat and credible. He could not afford to sit a contest out.

On the Republican side, some favorite sons would make the ballot, but for different reasons. With the possibility of a divided convention, it would help if delegates were held by placeholders loyal to the establishment, who could throw their support behind a leading candidate to put them over the edge. To the favorite sons, it also allowed them a seat at the table to decide the eventual nominee. Governors Richard Nixon of California and James Rhodes of Ohio found themselves entered onto their primary ballots.

Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #54 on: July 16, 2012, 05:37:12 PM »

Keep it coming!
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #55 on: July 17, 2012, 12:36:16 AM »
« Edited: July 26, 2012, 12:54:07 AM by Nagas »

Massachusetts

Democrats

Senator George McGovern (D-SD) - 132,697 - 51.6%
Vice President Edmund Brown (D-CA) - 118,760 - 46.2%
Others - 5,688 - 2.2%

Republicans

Governor George Romney (R-MI) - 31,964 - 29.9%
Governor Nelson Rockefeller (R-NY) - 31,465 - 29.5%
General William Westmoreland (R-SC) - 25,447 - 23.9%
Others - 17,814 (incl Gov Volpe) - 16.7%

Vice President Brown and Senator McGovern continued their fight into New England. In nearly swapped results compared to the Pennsylvania primary, McGovern scored a modest win in Massachusetts. Brown was hindered by lack of campaigning from the Kennedy Senators, who feared embarrassment or electoral repercussions for campaigning against positions they essentially agreed with.

The drama of the Republican primary continued to unfold. A last minute endorsement by Senator Edward Brooke (R-MA) seems to have put Romney over the top in a competitive election. The blow was staggering to Rockefeller: he lost a state in his own backyard, when he was desperately in need of a win to get back on his feet.

NBC Polling 4/30-5/1
600 Respondents per state. +/- 4%

Washington D.C.

Brown: 61%
McGovern: 32%
Other/Uncommitted/Undecided: 7%

Rockefeller: 40%
Romney: 32%
Westmoreland: 20%
Uncommitted/Other/Undecided: 8%

Indiana

Branigan: 51%
McGovern: 40%
Other/Undecided: 9%

Romney: 37%
Westmoreland: 32%
Rockefeller: 20%
Other/Undecided: 11%

On May 1, Martin Luther King Jr. announces a march in D.C. as part of the Poor People's Campaign. The goal is to focus attention on housing and income for the Nation's worst off, and to demand that Congress continue Great Society type legislation for the poor.

"A couple of months ago in Marks, Mississippi, I witnessed a schoolteacher feeding her children their lunch; a lunch consisting of only a slice of apple and a couple of crackers. These were children of all races, and all victims of unfortunate poverty. But we can learn from their example and help them and millions of others across our great nation!

On May 30, we will march on the mall in Washington D.C. The poor of all races, all religions, all backgrounds will come together to beseech our government for an aid program to help the nation's poor. We will remain steadfast in our nonviolent principles to make our case to our great nation's great leaders. We will put forward an Economic Bill of Rights for the nation's poor. A law that will guarantee a home and a wage for every American, regardless of what walk of life they may hail from."

FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #56 on: July 17, 2012, 06:35:36 AM »

"Rupert Brooke"? Edward Brooke was a Senator from MA, 1967-1979.
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #57 on: July 17, 2012, 04:01:47 PM »

"Rupert Brooke"? Edward Brooke was a Senator from MA, 1967-1979.

That is what I meant. I once read a great deal of Rupert Brooke's poetry so it appears I subconsciously switched the names. Thanks for noticing that. Smiley
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #58 on: July 29, 2012, 03:37:23 AM »

Ronald Reagan's loss to Richard Nixon did not damper his ambition for higher office. Coupled with ever-present popularity among establishment Republican leaders, his declaration to run for Senate was welcomed by many in the GOP. Incumbent Senator Kuchel (R-CA) announced he would not seek another term after he was recently diagnosed with lung cancer.

Reagan's path to the Republican nomination was not steep. The only other candidate in the race was Superintendent of Public Instruction Max Rafferty. Alan Cranston led the Democratic field and the two appeared to be locked into a heavy fight.

Reagan addressing the crowd as he announced his candidacy

"I would like to thank Senator Kuchel for his sixteen years of exemplary service to our great nation. He was an instrumental figure in passing the Civil Rights and Voting Rights Acts, and I doubt they could have passed without his unfaltering work. While he and I do not see eye-to-eye on all issues, he has been a stalwart defender of the rights of the individual and Republican values."
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #59 on: July 29, 2012, 02:02:10 PM »

Grin Go Reagan! And I'm hoping either Romney or Westmoreland wins the nomination, and it's looking like it'll shape out that way, though Nixon's role as a favorite son could help him in a deadlocked convention.
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #60 on: July 30, 2012, 04:46:47 AM »
« Edited: August 01, 2012, 10:29:14 PM by Nagas »

Vice Presidential Short List - George Wallace

Wallace mulled over several men for the selection of vice president. He needed another candidate that could draw in new voters without alienating his base. A wrong pick would potentially cause his core supporters to stay home, reducing the states he'd pull in during the general election.

General Curtis Le May

Resume:
US Military: 1928-1965
      -Strategic Air Command
-USAF Chief of Staff

Pros: Extensive military experience and credited by some for the success of the Berlin Airlift. He would bring military and foreign experience gravitas to the ticket.
Cons: Considered an ardent hawk by Vietnam. Potential saber rattling could alienate moderates that he would pull in. Ardently supported integration of US troops by race under Truman, which could alienate the base.

Harland "Colonel" Sanders

Resume:
Founder of Kentucky Friend Chicken Corporation (1955- )

Pros: Successful businessman and an American success story. Personal wealth could be invested into the campaign. KFC Franchise is popular and well-known throughout the nation, especially the South.
Cons: Untested in the political arena, making him a wildcard.

Governor Lester Maddox

Resume:
Governor of Georgia (1967- )

Pros: Despite bring early into his term as governor, his performance has been fantastic in spite of critics predicting that he would fail. Would further fire up the base. Secures Georgia's electoral votes and could influence Florida and South Carolina.
Cons: Could further alienate moderates as it would reinforce the idea of it being a purely  segregationist ticket.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #61 on: July 30, 2012, 08:58:21 AM »

Crap. Now  I'm hungry for KFC.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #62 on: July 30, 2012, 12:47:55 PM »

I was just thinking the same Wink
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #63 on: July 30, 2012, 03:05:25 PM »

I believe John Wayne was also considered to be Wallace's VP. And a check on wikipedia confirms it.
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #64 on: August 01, 2012, 09:36:11 PM »

Kick ass if Wallace / Wayne.  Anyway, go Westmoreland and Reagan.
Negusa Nagast 🚀
Nagas
United States

« Reply #65 on: October 22, 2012, 12:18:31 AM »

Washington D.C.

Vice President Edmund Brown - 48.2% (D-CA)
Senator George McGovern - 48.7% (D-SD)
Uncomitted - 3.1%

Governor George Romney (R-MI) - 37.2%
Governor Nelson Rockefeller (R-NY) - 35.9%
General William Westmoreland (R-SC) - 26.4%
Uncommitted  - 0.5%

In a night of upsets, Senator George McGovern and Governor George Romney will emerge as the respective winners of their primaries in Washington D.C. tonight. The NBC poll of the Democratic side of the race was to found to significantly underpolled the youth and African-American voters, which turned out heavily for the Senator.

McGovern was ecstatic at the press conference following his surprise win

Following his surprise defeat, Governor Rockefeller announced that he was suspending his campaign for President. He did not immediately endorse either candidate, although leading pundits believed that he'd pick Governor Romney in time.

The wins for the challengers injected a high degree of uncertainty, especially as the Mary primaries were just around the corner.

Author's Note: RIP George McGovern. Sad
Jerseyrules
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #66 on: October 23, 2012, 07:28:26 AM »
« Edited: October 23, 2012, 07:35:38 AM by Jerseyrules »

YES IT'S BACK!

Wait, I forgot what happened to RFK...

EDIT: MCGOVERN's DEAD?!  RIP, he lost to a far lesser man.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies