SoCon/Economic Left parties
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 02:45:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  SoCon/Economic Left parties
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: SoCon/Economic Left parties  (Read 5761 times)
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2012, 05:54:21 AM »

The right-wing position in Denmark, IIRC, is to NOT raise the highest tax rate in the whole world. So supporting that isn't particularly right-wing. Tongue
That depends on whether you use the economic or the value-based scale to determine the left / right dichotomy.

But I agree that the term right wing populism is rather meaningless. If thats your point.
In Denmark people from the old Fremskridtspartiet, which was Libertarian, changed rather effortlessly into Social Democrats/welfare populists shortly after the founding of DFP in 1995. Which shows that economic policies are not central to those types.
Zuza
Russian Federation
« Reply #26 on: May 31, 2012, 09:09:37 PM »

Examples:

Many Eastern European (and most Russian) left-wing parties. KPRF and "Motherland" most probably would be considered economically left (KPRF far-left) but socially far-right by European standards. Left-wing conservatism (as well as left-wing nationalism) is common in post-Communist countries. Striking examples are Polish "Samoobrona" and PiS and Bulgarian "Attack"; AFAIK some Eastern European social democratic parties also tend to be more socially conservative than right parties.

Some christian democratic parties (best examples probably are Chilean PDC and Dutch Christian Union).

Maybe some European far-right parties ("True Finns", Italian MSI, French FN under Marine).

Maybe also some orthodox commies like Greek KKE (on some issues).

And yes, I understand that there may be disagreements on what should be considered "economically left" or "right", "socially conservative" or "liberal".
Lasitten
Rookie
Finland

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -4.00

« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2012, 07:12:01 AM »

I would say that the Finnish party named "True Finns" is just what you're looking for. It's economically left-wing but in the same time it's very conservative party. Badly most of it's leftism can be seen as pure populism and looking back in the "good old days" when the government was more interventionist in economics.
So rightwing that I broke the Political Compass!
Rockingham

« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2012, 03:27:45 AM »

This is quite common in the Middle East. The Salafi party in Egypt is a good example. Iran(especially in the first few years after its revolution) pretty clearly qualifies.
Peter the Lefty
Peternerdman
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2012, 09:18:58 PM »

Well, there's the Australian Labor Party.  Tongue  Well, not really, but they really are quite slow in terms of moving with the times.  And there are some really socially conservative people in the ALP.  But there are some far right parties in Europe as well that are economically leftish:
The True Finns.  (according to wikipedia.)  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/True_Finns
Arguable, the French FN (have a look at this page) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marine_Le_Pen#Ideology
The Danish People's Party http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Danish_People%27s_Party#The_popularity_of_DPP
The Swedish National Democrats. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/National_Democrats_%28Sweden%29

Zuza
Russian Federation
« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2012, 02:24:30 AM »

But I guess that ALP is socially liberal in comparison with Liberal and National parties coalition (so it is still relatively socially liberal by Australian standards). Am I right?
So rightwing that I broke the Political Compass!
Rockingham

« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2012, 11:21:38 AM »

But I guess that ALP is socially liberal in comparison with Liberal and National parties coalition (so it is still relatively socially liberal by Australian standards). Am I right?
Yes in aggregate(though with individual exceptions).
freefair
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2013, 06:41:29 AM »

A more comprehensive list of Parties
Australian Labour, on stuff like Migration
Australian Democratic Labour
True Finns
Danish People's Party
Sweden Democrats
Dutch Christian Union
Swiss Evangelical People's Party
Swiss Christan Social Party (though that appears to be more of a socially liberal-Christian-sing Kum Bay Yah round a fireplace style group)
The Russian Communists
Some of the Italian leftist Democrats
Tommy Douglas himself
Chilean Christian Democrats
There's probably a few more that I don't know of...
barfbag
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.26, S: -0.87

« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2013, 10:58:52 PM »

And this party would have traction too. I'd have many disagreements with them, but a large percentage of our population is socially conservative and centrist on economics. They would come off as highly authoritarian and probably not do to well, but if they made up a party, they'd have a solid base and about 30-40% of the nation supporting them. My ideology is pretty much the opposite of them though.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #34 on: July 04, 2013, 04:35:40 AM »

The Australian Labor Party is as close to the Democratic Party as any party in the world.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #35 on: July 04, 2013, 06:18:43 AM »

It seems like Fiscally centrist/Socially Conservative is much more common.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #36 on: July 04, 2013, 09:38:18 AM »

It seems like Fiscally centrist/Socially Conservative is much more common.

Definitely true in Western countries, but hardly correct in the rest of the world.
Leftbehind
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #37 on: July 06, 2013, 08:13:17 PM »

Robert Fico?

I completely agree.In the UK such a party could easily win dozens of seats in South Wales and the North of England, in areas like Liverpool or Hull. Frank Field would be an awesome PM.

lol Frank Fields is the example of that? Do me a favour.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies