Elizabeth Warren's "Pocahontas" Problem? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:23:54 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Elizabeth Warren's "Pocahontas" Problem? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Elizabeth Warren's "Pocahontas" Problem?  (Read 24573 times)
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« on: May 02, 2012, 03:31:41 PM »

You have to consider that Brown is a puppet of people and things considerably less liked in Massachusetts than Barack Obama.

That being the case, this could be anything from a mild net negative for Warren to a serious net negative for Brown depending upon how it's spun and who decides to push it how much, and the first is probably somewhat more likely than the second.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 03:40:34 PM »

I don't care about "cheating" a system that is unjust to begin with - race-based affirmative action. In any case what she wrote is technically correct. This shouldn't be a big deal.

There are some people who will care strongly if this is roughly as the right here is painting it, but many of them likely won't be voting for Brown anyway. Any problem for Warren will be to a significant degree a matter of turnout (which was also a large part of Coakley's problem), and that could indeed end up being a problem, but it's somewhat less likely in a Presidential year.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 10:03:15 AM »
« Edited: May 03, 2012, 10:12:42 AM by Nathan »

Pocohontas Warren's grandpa had high cheekbones!

http://www.weeklystandard.com/blogs/warren-my-grandfather-had-high-cheekbones-all-indians-do_643103.html

Speaking to a reporter on a local news station in Boston, Democratic Senate candidate Elizabeth Warren of Massachusetts cited her ancestor's "high cheekbones" (quoting an aunt) as evidence of her Native American heritage:

Earlier today, the Harvard law professor explained that she listed herself as "Native American" on school directories in the past so she could meet others "who are like I am." Genealogists have been unable to verify that Warren is descended from Native Americans, despite her claims.

Lol! Keep digging, lizzy!

You use of course as always the very picture of a credible news source to back up your interpretation of events.

People from Oklahoma having somewhat...odd definitions of what constitutes the American Indian experience is of course completely unremarkable, but it is a little bit of a spectacle since she's running in Massachusetts. Like everything else that was supposed to sink her (or Brown, for that matter) so far this is overblown.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 10:20:25 AM »
« Edited: May 03, 2012, 10:31:41 AM by Nathan »

She's something of a fool, for reasons that were relatively easy to divine already (this weird combination of perceived intellectual elitism and vague bumpkinness that's come out in this situation). She's not, in and of this specifically, made herself a worse Senate candidate than Scott Brown, if only because we would have a fool who would occasionally vote based on something other than the specific kind of corporate propping-up that I find most objectionable (I'm not naive enough to believe there wouldn't be other kinds of corporate propping-up) rather than one who wouldn't.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2012, 12:32:41 PM »
« Edited: May 07, 2012, 12:35:48 PM by Nathan »

I think this is certainly a stupid issue and I hope it disappears rapidly, but how on earth is it "race-baiting"?

How is it not race-baiting? They had no reason to think Warren was lying about her ancestry, yet they claimed (with no basis whatsoever) she was using her ancestry to win preferences.

Claiming 1/32 American Indian ancestry as conferring minority status is legitimately disingenuous, though, and it's one of the few genuine negatives that I perceive in Warren. It's just that I don't see it as a particularly major issue considering where she comes from, where Brown comes from, and what this election is about.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2012, 04:41:51 PM »

Assuming some degree of Indian blood is legit, which is certainly possible if not in any of the ways that people appear to have been claiming, this reminds me a little of how there is an entire fraternal organization for people who have both Patriot and Loyalist ancestors (and there are quite a few such people; it's inevitable if enough branches of your family have been in America for long enough).
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #6 on: May 20, 2012, 01:05:32 AM »

Recipe plagiarism the best the Brown camp can come up with? Well I guess they can't attack her on the issues so...

Well, they actually have, you know. I mean, she's being called a borderline communist up here.

They can and have been attacking her on the issues but they clearly don't seem to feel it's been working to their satisfaction.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #7 on: May 20, 2012, 01:10:27 AM »

Recipes? We are worried about recipes?

Not all of us are like you and shovel McDonalds down our throat every day. Some of us like to cook our own meals using recipes and we prefer it if the recipes weren't plagiarized.

Honestly, the concept of 'plagiarizing recipes' reminds me of nothing so much as the more bafflingly nostalgic elements of growing up in a small town with an aging, disproportionately white, disproportionately female population.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2012, 01:23:53 AM »

Recipes? We are worried about recipes?

Not all of us are like you and shovel McDonalds down our throat every day. Some of us like to cook our own meals using recipes and we prefer it if the recipes weren't plagiarized.

Honestly, the concept of 'plagiarizing recipes' reminds me of nothing so much as the more bafflingly nostalgic elements of growing up in a small town with an aging, disproportionately white, disproportionately female population.

I don't see the problem here

It wasn't a problem. It's just that old white women in rural New England have historically been stereotyped as having certain attitudes towards agricultural production.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2012, 05:27:36 PM »

Naturally, RecipeGate was all over the first three pages of the Herald on Weds. or Thurs.

Do you feel like shaking your head in disbelief or...?

It's the Herald.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2012, 09:46:14 PM »

Naturally, RecipeGate was all over the first three pages of the Herald on Weds. or Thurs.

Do you feel like shaking your head in disbelief or...?

It's the Herald.

But this is a real election. For real. In realityland. This is actually happening.

The fact that the Boston Herald is actually happening in realityland has given me cause for concern many a time.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies