Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 23, 2014, 04:53:45 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Discussion
| |-+  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Gustaf)
| | |-+  Dinner Doodle: Why is Tim Tebow Hated?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: Dinner Doodle: Why is Tim Tebow Hated?  (Read 1644 times)
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« on: May 02, 2012, 12:43:56 pm »
Ignore

well, that's not exactly the title, but it does reference Tim Tebow:

Do not fight with one another over my banning.  I've enjoyed the time I have spent with all of you, but the time really has come for me to leave.  It is what I want.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9Y_GLT4_9I

I looked over Jordan, and what did I see?
Coming for to carry me home,
A band of angels coming after me,
Coming for to carry me home.

Swing low, sweet chariot,
True Federalist
Ernest
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 01:31:17 pm »
Ignore

It oversimplifies things considerably to suggest that people dislike Tebow solely because of his beliefs.  Not that there aren't some idiots who do, but there are plenty of good reasons to think that based solely upon his on-the-field accomplishments, his ability as a football player has been severely overhyped.

I wonder why Van Heusen never bothered to make women's clothing?
jmfcst
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 01:35:14 pm »
Ignore

It oversimplifies things considerably to suggest that people dislike Tebow solely because of his beliefs.  Not that there aren't some idiots who do, but there are plenty of good reasons to think that based solely upon his on-the-field accomplishments, his ability as a football player has been severely overhyped.

there have been many overhyped athletes, but very few have been given the attention of Tim Tebow.

Do not fight with one another over my banning.  I've enjoyed the time I have spent with all of you, but the time really has come for me to leave.  It is what I want.

bgwah
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 01:49:09 pm »
Ignore

I honestly didn't know Tebow was some super-Christian until jmf started making these threads about him. I am angry atheist who hates Tebow because he a Christian!111

jmfcst
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 01:59:16 pm »
Ignore

I honestly didn't know Tebow was some super-Christian until jmf started making these threads about him. I am angry atheist who hates Tebow because he a Christian!111

dude, you're not even a football fan

Boris
boris78
YaBB God
Netherlands

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

P
View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2012, 02:00:06 pm »
Ignore

jmfcst, people "hate" (I use the term "hate" because it's being used referring to sports and not a meaningful context) because he's a mediocre NFL quarterback who has managed to orchestrate a series of flukey last second drives. Not because he's a virgin or Christian or whatever. People (like myself) may mock the act of Tebowing, but that's more a component of his personality rather than a specific attack on his faith. Philip Rivers and Peyton Manning and Josh Hamilton and Jeremy Lin are all outspoken Christians, yet nobody hates them because they're actually good at what they do.

Miamiu1027
YaBB God
United States
View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2012, 02:23:37 pm »
Ignore

fun fact.  Bryce Harper is a Mormon
Boris
boris78
YaBB God
Netherlands

Political Matrix

P
View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2012, 02:28:14 pm »
Ignore

So is Wally Joyner. He batted 3rd with ~.450 batting average in my 1998 Chicago Cubs World Series championship season on N64's All Star Baseball '99. Batting 4th was Jeff Conine, the shining star of the Kansas City Royals.

jmfcst
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2012, 02:49:59 pm »
Ignore

Philip Rivers and Peyton Manning and Josh Hamilton and Jeremy Lin are all outspoken Christians, yet nobody hates them because they're actually good at what they do.

yo, you're pulling my leg....Tebow is much more outspoken about his Christianity.  googling "Tim Tebow christian" gets 5.9 million links, while"Peyton Manning christian" returns 2.5m links, even though Peyton is a future first-ballot hall of famer and Tebow is just beginning his career.

Boris
boris78
YaBB God
Netherlands

Political Matrix

P
View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2012, 03:07:36 pm »
Ignore

So? Why don't you see people bashing Jeremy Lin or Josh Hamilton over their faith? The average MLB/NBA fan is aware that they're both outspoken Christians.

Athletes receive flak when they suck yet manage to win games (Tebow), when they just suck and are overpaid (Ryan Leaf, Alfonso Soriano), when they do bad things (Kobe, Roethlisberger, and Woods all lost endorsements and were the butt of jokes for weeks), or when they say offensive things (Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf, John Rocker). Your victim complex is absolutely ridiculous and completely contradicts my empirical experiences, but believe what you want to believe, bro. You have your existence to live out and I ultimately have mine.

Harry
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2012, 03:12:35 pm »
Ignore

Tim Tebow is extremely popular.  Far more popular than his NFL prowess warrants, and it's because of his faith.

No need for the absurd persecution complex.
jmfcst
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2012, 03:19:19 pm »
Ignore

Tim Tebow is extremely popular.  Far more popular than his NFL prowess warrants, and it's because of his faith.

and on the flipside - Tim Tebow is extremely hated.  Far more hated than his NFL record warrants (although he is only a 2nd year QB, he does have a  8-5 overall record as a starter, included five second-half comebacks and a playoff victory), and it's because of his testimony of his faith.

No need for the absurd denial of the obvious.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 04:15:42 pm by consigliere jmfcst »Logged

bullmoose88
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2012, 03:51:10 pm »
Ignore

Philip Rivers and Peyton Manning and Josh Hamilton and Jeremy Lin are all outspoken Christians, yet nobody hates them because they're actually good at what they do.

yo, you're pulling my leg....Tebow is much more outspoken about his Christianity.  googling "Tim Tebow christian" gets 5.9 million links, while"Peyton Manning christian" returns 2.5m links, even though Peyton is a future first-ballot hall of famer and Tebow is just beginning his career.

Sure. To be fair both tebows college career and his early nfl career are well within the Internet age. Not sure if the same was true with Peyton. Again even adjusting for that tebow probably leads but I felt compelled push my glasses up on my nose and chime in.

A Socially Liberal, Fiscally Conservative NE Republican with some Left-Libertarian/3rd Way Leanings. Simply, a Rockefeller Republican.

According to one poster, I represent a...

Dying bread of Americans.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2012, 06:17:09 pm »
Ignore

Tim Tebow is extremely popular.  Far more popular than his NFL prowess warrants, and it's because of his faith.

and on the flipside - Tim Tebow is extremely hated.  Far more hated than his NFL record warrants (although he is only a 2nd year QB, he does have a  8-5 overall record as a starter, included five second-half comebacks and a playoff victory), and it's because of his testimony of his faith.

So hence he is a polarizing figure.
exercise: Imagine an Atheist quarterback with Tebow's record.
dead0man
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: -4.52

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2012, 07:28:41 pm »
Ignore

Tebow is hated because he is loved by people the haters don't like.  Like BRTD and South Park.

Quote from:   Martha Gellhorn for The Atlantic 1961
The unique misfortune of the Palestinian refugees is that they are a weapon in what seems to be a permanent war...today, in the Middle East, you get a repeated sinking sensation about the Palestinian refugees: they are only a beginning, not an end. Their function is to hang around and be constantly useful as a goad. The ultimate aim is not such humane small potatoes as repatriating refugees.
Harry
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2012, 11:45:21 pm »
Ignore

He was recently voted the most popular athlete in America in an ESPN poll.  While he certainly has his haters (like everyone else), he is indisputably very popular, and a lot of that is due to his faith.

Also, a lot of people like me like him because of all the ass he kicked in college.  I am completely indifferent about his faith.
Boris
boris78
YaBB God
Netherlands

Political Matrix

P
View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2012, 03:32:06 am »
Ignore

Just wait until the Jets play the Cowboys and for whatever reason Sanchez doesn't play. Tebow goes 5/15 with for something like 80 yards through the first 58 minutes, then goes 3/3 with 90 yards in the final 2 minutes for a 14-10 victory. Then jmfcst will understand that the bible has nothing to do with this.

jmfcst
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2012, 10:19:51 am »
Ignore

Just wait until the Jets play the Cowboys and for whatever reason Sanchez doesn't play.

Jerry Jones calls immigration and has Sanchez deported just prior to kick-off?

---

Tebow goes 5/15 with for something like 80 yards through the first 58 minutes, then goes 3/3 with 90 yards in the final 2 minutes for a 14-10 victory. Then jmfcst will understand that the bible has nothing to do with this.

And I'm sure Romo will go 24/28 for 358 yards through the first 58 minutes, then 0/2 with 2 ints in the final 2 minutes to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory for a 10-14 loss.

So, Cowboy fans will be hating Romo more.

Grumps
GM3PRP
YaBB God
Korea, Democratic People's Republic of
View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2012, 11:37:28 am »
Ignore

It's a double-edged sword......he's hated and loved because of his faith, duh.

Taliban Captors

Taliban Daddy

If this affects my job then so be it.
Assemblyman & Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.61, S: 1.48

P P P

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2012, 03:14:26 pm »
Ignore

In an extremely awkward way.  Not even some type of transition?  It seems forced.
jmfcst
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2012, 03:17:26 pm »
Ignore

In an extremely awkward way.  Not even some type of transition?  It seems forced.

right hand column:  "Do you know who Tim Tebow is?"

jmfcst
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2012, 03:46:32 pm »
Ignore

or, are you saying you saw the reference and thought it was forced?

Lt. Governor TJ
TJ in Cleve
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2012, 05:45:22 pm »
Ignore

You can also find people who hate Tim Tebow because they hate the Florida Gators.
Redalgo
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2012, 11:47:31 am »
Ignore

I actually had a very positive first impression of Tim Tebow until a lot of television networks went wild with focusing too much attention on and sensationalizing him - at which point it just became incredibly annoying to me. The guy himself is fine though. I'd actually say the same of Jeremy Lin.

"I have cherished the ideal of a democratic and free society in which all persons live together in harmony with equal opportunities. It is an ideal which I hope to live for and to see realized." ~ Nelson Mandela
Simfan34
YaBB God
Ghana

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2012, 03:21:38 pm »
Ignore

Do you eat off of these?

Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout