Dinner Doodle: Why is Tim Tebow Hated?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 02:15:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: World politics is up Schmitt creek)
  Dinner Doodle: Why is Tim Tebow Hated?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Dinner Doodle: Why is Tim Tebow Hated?  (Read 3867 times)
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 02, 2012, 12:43:56 PM »

well, that's not exactly the title, but it does reference Tim Tebow:

True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 01:31:17 PM »

It oversimplifies things considerably to suggest that people dislike Tebow solely because of his beliefs.  Not that there aren't some idiots who do, but there are plenty of good reasons to think that based solely upon his on-the-field accomplishments, his ability as a football player has been severely overhyped.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 01:35:14 PM »

It oversimplifies things considerably to suggest that people dislike Tebow solely because of his beliefs.  Not that there aren't some idiots who do, but there are plenty of good reasons to think that based solely upon his on-the-field accomplishments, his ability as a football player has been severely overhyped.

there have been many overhyped athletes, but very few have been given the attention of Tim Tebow.
bgwah
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.03, S: -6.96

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 01:49:09 PM »

I honestly didn't know Tebow was some super-Christian until jmf started making these threads about him. I am angry atheist who hates Tebow because he a Christian!111
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 01:59:16 PM »

I honestly didn't know Tebow was some super-Christian until jmf started making these threads about him. I am angry atheist who hates Tebow because he a Christian!111

dude, you're not even a football fan
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2012, 02:00:06 PM »

jmfcst, people "hate" (I use the term "hate" because it's being used referring to sports and not a meaningful context) because he's a mediocre NFL quarterback who has managed to orchestrate a series of flukey last second drives. Not because he's a virgin or Christian or whatever. People (like myself) may mock the act of Tebowing, but that's more a component of his personality rather than a specific attack on his faith. Philip Rivers and Peyton Manning and Josh Hamilton and Jeremy Lin are all outspoken Christians, yet nobody hates them because they're actually good at what they do.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2012, 02:23:37 PM »

fun fact.  Bryce Harper is a Mormon
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: May 02, 2012, 02:28:14 PM »

So is Wally Joyner. He batted 3rd with ~.450 batting average in my 1998 Chicago Cubs World Series championship season on N64's All Star Baseball '99. Batting 4th was Jeff Conine, the shining star of the Kansas City Royals.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2012, 02:49:59 PM »

Philip Rivers and Peyton Manning and Josh Hamilton and Jeremy Lin are all outspoken Christians, yet nobody hates them because they're actually good at what they do.

yo, you're pulling my leg....Tebow is much more outspoken about his Christianity.  googling "Tim Tebow christian" gets 5.9 million links, while"Peyton Manning christian" returns 2.5m links, even though Peyton is a future first-ballot hall of famer and Tebow is just beginning his career.

Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2012, 03:07:36 PM »

So? Why don't you see people bashing Jeremy Lin or Josh Hamilton over their faith? The average MLB/NBA fan is aware that they're both outspoken Christians.

Athletes receive flak when they suck yet manage to win games (Tebow), when they just suck and are overpaid (Ryan Leaf, Alfonso Soriano), when they do bad things (Kobe, Roethlisberger, and Woods all lost endorsements and were the butt of jokes for weeks), or when they say offensive things (Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf, John Rocker). Your victim complex is absolutely ridiculous and completely contradicts my empirical experiences, but believe what you want to believe, bro. You have your existence to live out and I ultimately have mine.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2012, 03:12:35 PM »

Tim Tebow is extremely popular.  Far more popular than his NFL prowess warrants, and it's because of his faith.

No need for the absurd persecution complex.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2012, 03:19:19 PM »
« Edited: May 03, 2012, 04:15:42 PM by consigliere jmfcst »

Tim Tebow is extremely popular.  Far more popular than his NFL prowess warrants, and it's because of his faith.

and on the flipside - Tim Tebow is extremely hated.  Far more hated than his NFL record warrants (although he is only a 2nd year QB, he does have a  8-5 overall record as a starter, included five second-half comebacks and a playoff victory), and it's because of his testimony of his faith.

No need for the absurd denial of the obvious.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2012, 03:51:10 PM »

Philip Rivers and Peyton Manning and Josh Hamilton and Jeremy Lin are all outspoken Christians, yet nobody hates them because they're actually good at what they do.

yo, you're pulling my leg....Tebow is much more outspoken about his Christianity.  googling "Tim Tebow christian" gets 5.9 million links, while"Peyton Manning christian" returns 2.5m links, even though Peyton is a future first-ballot hall of famer and Tebow is just beginning his career.

Sure. To be fair both tebows college career and his early nfl career are well within the Internet age. Not sure if the same was true with Peyton. Again even adjusting for that tebow probably leads but I felt compelled push my glasses up on my nose and chime in.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2012, 06:17:09 PM »

Tim Tebow is extremely popular.  Far more popular than his NFL prowess warrants, and it's because of his faith.

and on the flipside - Tim Tebow is extremely hated.  Far more hated than his NFL record warrants (although he is only a 2nd year QB, he does have a  8-5 overall record as a starter, included five second-half comebacks and a playoff victory), and it's because of his testimony of his faith.

So hence he is a polarizing figure.
exercise: Imagine an Atheist quarterback with Tebow's record.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2012, 07:28:41 PM »

Tebow is hated because he is loved by people the haters don't like.  Like BRTD and South Park.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2012, 11:45:21 PM »

He was recently voted the most popular athlete in America in an ESPN poll.  While he certainly has his haters (like everyone else), he is indisputably very popular, and a lot of that is due to his faith.

Also, a lot of people like me like him because of all the ass he kicked in college.  I am completely indifferent about his faith.
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2012, 03:32:06 AM »

Just wait until the Jets play the Cowboys and for whatever reason Sanchez doesn't play. Tebow goes 5/15 with for something like 80 yards through the first 58 minutes, then goes 3/3 with 90 yards in the final 2 minutes for a 14-10 victory. Then jmfcst will understand that the bible has nothing to do with this.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2012, 10:19:51 AM »

Just wait until the Jets play the Cowboys and for whatever reason Sanchez doesn't play.

Jerry Jones calls immigration and has Sanchez deported just prior to kick-off?

---

Tebow goes 5/15 with for something like 80 yards through the first 58 minutes, then goes 3/3 with 90 yards in the final 2 minutes for a 14-10 victory. Then jmfcst will understand that the bible has nothing to do with this.

And I'm sure Romo will go 24/28 for 358 yards through the first 58 minutes, then 0/2 with 2 ints in the final 2 minutes to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory for a 10-14 loss.

So, Cowboy fans will be hating Romo more.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2012, 11:37:28 AM »

It's a double-edged sword......he's hated and loved because of his faith, duh.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2012, 03:14:26 PM »

In an extremely awkward way.  Not even some type of transition?  It seems forced.
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2012, 03:17:26 PM »

In an extremely awkward way.  Not even some type of transition?  It seems forced.

right hand column:  "Do you know who Tim Tebow is?"
jmfcst
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2012, 03:46:32 PM »

or, are you saying you saw the reference and thought it was forced?
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2012, 05:45:22 PM »

You can also find people who hate Tim Tebow because they hate the Florida Gators.
Redalgo
United States

« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2012, 11:47:31 AM »

I actually had a very positive first impression of Tim Tebow until a lot of television networks went wild with focusing too much attention on and sensationalizing him - at which point it just became incredibly annoying to me. The guy himself is fine though. I'd actually say the same of Jeremy Lin.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2012, 03:21:38 PM »

Do you eat off of these?
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length