BREAKING: Russia Condemns Syria
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 04:54:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  BREAKING: Russia Condemns Syria
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: BREAKING: Russia Condemns Syria  (Read 1262 times)
Donerail
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 28, 2012, 07:32:02 PM »
« edited: May 28, 2012, 07:33:56 PM by SoEA SJoyceFla »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Full story: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/05/28/syria-massacre-russia_n_1551063.html

Discuss whether this will change anything.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2012, 07:33:28 PM »

About time.
Fmr President & Senator Polnut
polnut
Atlas Icon
Australia

Political Matrix
E: -2.71, S: -5.22

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2012, 09:30:30 PM »

A lot of these despots do what they do, because they have perm UN members to 'veto' for them... this is at worst a big symbolic deal that one of their key defenders won't do it.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2012, 10:41:51 PM »

If repeated enough, this could well make military intervention more likely, with China and Russia abstaining in the UN Security Council.  
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2012, 10:44:37 PM »

If repeated enough, this could well make military intervention more likely, with China and Russia abstaining in the UN Security Council.  

Somehow I don't think Obama and Cameron are all gung ho about yet *another* war involving a Middle Eastern oil-rich dictatorship.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2012, 10:55:21 PM »

Somehow I don't think Obama and Cameron are all gung ho about yet *another* war involving a Middle Eastern oil-rich dictatorship.
Especially with Iran on the horizon...
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2012, 12:08:55 AM »

Oil rich?  Are we talking about the same Syria?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2012, 12:13:08 AM »

Wow, you have to be a pretty brutal authoritarian for even Putin to condemn you.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2012, 12:20:37 AM »

Oil rich?  Are we talking about the same Syria?
Maybe not oil-rich, but still:
You must be logged in to read this quote.
Cory
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2012, 06:32:09 AM »

I wonder if they really mean it. I mean, how much longer will they let us continue to pick off their clients?
California8429
A-Bob
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2012, 07:54:25 PM »

The Syrian rebels are more pro-western than the Libyans. Why not assist them with materials and bombings if the opportunity presents itself within the UN?
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2012, 07:55:30 PM »

The Syrian rebels are more pro-western than the Libyans.

You know absolutely nothing about this subject, do you?
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2012, 09:31:05 PM »

And the fallout continues.

Perhaps not, but events will eventually force their hand.  We are currently using the Chinese, the Russians, and the United Nations as convenient excuses for us not having to intervene.  As one cover after another is stripped away by this regime that almost seems intent on forcing the United States in getting militarily involved, we're going to have face that possibility no matter how reluctant we are.  
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2012, 06:17:02 AM »

And the fallout continues.

Perhaps not, but events will eventually force their hand. We are currently using the Chinese, the Russians, and the United Nations as convenient excuses for us not having to intervene.  As one cover after another is stripped away by this regime that almost seems intent on forcing the United States in getting militarily involved, we're going to have face that possibility no matter how reluctant we are.  

They will still have a choice. The idea that the US (with UK as its sidekick) is somehow obligated to act as the worlds policeman and solve all global crisis situations is rather bizarre.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies