lol South Carolina
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 12:50:27 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  lol South Carolina
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: lol South Carolina  (Read 869 times)
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 03, 2012, 04:04:16 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

http://www.thestate.com/2012/05/03/2260162/supreme-court-orders-some-candidates.html
greenforest32

Political Matrix
E: -7.94, S: -8.43

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 06:10:19 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

How did they even make it onto the ballot if they didn't comply with the existing election requirements? Was it unenforced until this decision or something?
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 06:23:51 PM »

That's my suspicion. The article doesn't really explain the court case very well.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2012, 09:41:45 PM »

There was a change in the election laws between this election and the last one.  It added the requirement to file the required financial statement electronically, but did not eliminate the requirement that non-incumbents file a hard copy of the financial statement with the county party when they filed to run in the primary.  A number of county parties told people they only needed to file it online.  The court ruled that law meant what it said and that the hard copy needed to be filed with the party.

Sen. Knotts got a friend of his to file this lawsuit so as to knock his opponent off the ballot.  He failed, and in the process has managed to cost himself at least one vote, mine.  I was planning on voting for him, despite his flaws, because I don't care for his enemies.  Now I'll be voting for Shealy, because as bad as I think his enemies are, they ain't this dirty.

The number of affected people turned out to be closer to 180. Efforts to fix the problem have failed because of the opposition of the incumbents who think they benefit from it.  The affected candidates still have the option to file as petition candidates in the general election, and a number of them are planning on doing so.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies