Wife Of NC Amendment 1 Sponsor: Husband Wrote Bill To Preserve ‘Caucasian Race'
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 19, 2024, 02:18:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Wife Of NC Amendment 1 Sponsor: Husband Wrote Bill To Preserve ‘Caucasian Race'
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Wife Of NC Amendment 1 Sponsor: Husband Wrote Bill To Preserve ‘Caucasian Race'  (Read 2747 times)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 02, 2012, 03:06:01 PM »

Talking Points Memo -
You must be logged in to read this quote.

...Aaaaand of course, she denies saying it:

You must be logged in to read this quote.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2012, 04:12:09 PM »

What a creep.
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2012, 04:25:27 PM »

I normally don't hit women, but if I saw her she probably will get slapped for this stupidity.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2012, 05:23:42 PM »

Not just homophobic, but racist as well. Cool.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2012, 05:30:11 PM »

Now, no fan of this amendment or of sponsoring it, but an "alternative newspaper" says that a "freelance jounalist and activist" told them that a "poll worker" told him that the wife of a cosponsor of the amendment told him, apparently unprompted, something about "preserving the caucasian race."  After this exceedingly-unlikely game of telephone, we have her statement right down to the "uh."  Yeah, that seems pretty unlikely to me.
So rightwing that I broke the Political Compass!
Rockingham

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2012, 04:07:38 AM »
« Edited: May 03, 2012, 04:10:50 AM by Kyro sayz »

Now, no fan of this amendment or of sponsoring it, but an "alternative newspaper" says that a "freelance jounalist and activist" told them that a "poll worker" told him that the wife of a cosponsor of the amendment told him, apparently unprompted, something about "preserving the caucasian race."  After this exceedingly-unlikely game of telephone, we have her statement right down to the "uh."  Yeah, that seems pretty unlikely to me.
That was my first reaction too.

But read that second quote transcripting a conversation between Brunsetter and "Me". Brunsetter could easily have just outright denied mentioning Caucasians and proclaimed the freelance journalist a liar... which is what she would have done if she(Brunsetter) was either telling the truth or a competent liar. Unfortunately for Brunsetter she is clearly an incompotent liar... you need only read the transcript to see that she is both lying and incompotent at lying.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2012, 05:48:38 AM »

I suppose its because the mainstream American definition of racism is different than mine, but I don't see anything explicitly racist in the statement. Wanting your own group to procreate and thrive doesn't necessarily mean you consider other races to be inferior or have prejudices against them.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2012, 06:40:08 AM »

I suppose its because the mainstream American definition of racism is different than mine, but I don't see anything explicitly racist in the statement. Wanting your own group to procreate and thrive doesn't necessarily mean you consider other races to be inferior or have prejudices against them.

True, but who speaks of the 'caucasian race' politically in 2012 without meaning it in an exclusivist fashion?
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2012, 08:05:20 AM »

That was my first reaction too.

But read that second quote transcripting a conversation between Brunsetter and "Me". Brunsetter could easily have just outright denied mentioning Caucasians and proclaimed the freelance journalist a liar... which is what she would have done if she(Brunsetter) was either telling the truth or a competent liar. Unfortunately for Brunsetter she is clearly an incompotent liar... you need only read the transcript to see that she is both lying and incompotent at lying.

I read the second quote, and it doesn't read like she's lying so much as she is confused and doesn't understand the question (which is how someone who had never said that would probably react; a liar would become defensive and angry with the questioner).
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2012, 08:22:39 AM »

My god, it must be a very slow election cycle if this becomes news.

Anyway, this story would've been mindblowingly true and fact if there was a video.  Sadly, there is only the reports of some "poll worker" and a transcript of a conversation.

Not exactly super solid damning evidence in my opinion.  And yes, this is even after reading the transcript.  Though I will admit, the whole "I feel a heat stroke coming on!" quote was a pretty random and desperate sounding defense if she is telling the truth.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2012, 09:04:22 AM »

Here's a video of the interview/conversation/confrontation, which happened only momentarily after the alleged statements, for the record. And she didn't just say it unprovoked to some random poll-worker; it was in response to a question from someone else at a demonstration outside of an early voting location that an (apparently) off-duty poll worker had overheard, who then complained about it to the 'alternative' journalist who I think was already videotaping his side's demonstration across the street. Scroll down a bit on the page to see the video: http://thinkprogress.org/lgbt/2012/05/02/475141/brunstetter-caucasian/?mobile=nc

IMO it's pretty clear she said something questionable; she says that she used the term Caucasian then realizes she probably shouldn't have admitted so, then side-steps/ignores later questions without making any denials.
Mechaman
Atlas Icon
Jamaica
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2012, 09:14:41 AM »

Here's a video of the interview/conversation/confrontation, which happened only momentarily after the alleged statements, for the record. And she didn't just say it unprovoked to some random poll-worker; it was in response to a question from someone else at a demonstration outside of an early voting location that an (apparently) off-duty poll worker had overheard, who then complained about it to the 'alternative' journalist who I think was already videotaping his side's demonstration across the street. Scroll down a bit on the page to see the video: http://thinkprogress.org/lgbt/2012/05/02/475141/brunstetter-caucasian/?mobile=nc

IMO it's pretty clear she said something questionable; she says that she used the term Caucasian then realizes she probably shouldn't have admitted so, then side-steps/ignores later questions without making any denials.

Well alright.

I think the heat stroke comment kind of leans towards her saying something she regrets.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2012, 03:57:58 PM »

Yeah, that's kind of a racist sentiment.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2012, 06:35:17 PM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-a5zmIQKrQ
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2012, 07:54:37 PM »

lolololololololololololololololololol
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2012, 08:11:53 PM »

What purpose do you think specifying any group at all is supposed to serve, then? That the distinction is made in the first place is inherently racist and indicates assigning a higher value of importance to one group over the next.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #16 on: May 03, 2012, 08:41:22 PM »

^ Seriously.

Not to mention that even if that was a reasonable attitude to have, "caucasian" isn't a thing. What's caucasian culture, for example?
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2012, 09:04:13 PM »
« Edited: May 03, 2012, 09:10:11 PM by Senator Scott »

Racist groups have been touting the whole "pro-white, not anti-black" mantra for decades.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2012, 11:16:50 PM »

^ Seriously.

Not to mention that even if that was a reasonable attitude to have, "caucasian" isn't a thing. What's caucasian culture, for example?
goat herding and fire jumping.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies