Office of Senator Ben
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 03:56:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Office of Senator Ben
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11
Author Topic: Office of Senator Ben  (Read 17776 times)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: August 25, 2012, 06:18:50 PM »

Senator Ben, you have been summoned by the Judiciary Committee to defend The Holding CEOs Accountable Act.  Please report ASAP! Smiley
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #51 on: August 25, 2012, 08:43:03 PM »

And here I had hoped that you'd posted an endorsement, Scott Tongue  My response is posted.

Constituents, tell me your thoughts about my work in the Senate!
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #52 on: August 25, 2012, 08:52:29 PM »

Oh, whoops.  I forgot you announced another run.  You have my endorsement, of course. Grin
Franzl
Atlas Star
Germany

« Reply #53 on: August 25, 2012, 08:55:14 PM »

I endorse, of course Smiley
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #54 on: August 26, 2012, 01:38:27 PM »

Thank you both Smiley
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #55 on: September 07, 2012, 04:32:04 PM »

Ladies and Gentlemen, my Holding CEOs Accountable Act has been passed unanimously by the Senate, a proud moment for me.  As we move closer to the election, please tell me what you think of my performance; I need your support, after all.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #56 on: September 10, 2012, 02:42:53 PM »

If you haven't, please go vote to ratify the pending Equal Rights Amendment.  Thanks Smiley
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #57 on: September 10, 2012, 02:58:06 PM »

If you haven't, please go vote to ratify the pending Equal Rights Amendment.  Thanks Smiley

Please vote to defeat the equal rights amendment.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #58 on: September 10, 2012, 03:17:15 PM »

Please vote to defeat pass the equal rights amendment.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #59 on: September 10, 2012, 03:36:48 PM »

Please vote to pass defeat the equal rights amendment.

I this is enacted, the national government makes further encroachments on our liberties. The regions are best suited to handle social issues not Nyman.

Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #60 on: September 10, 2012, 03:42:31 PM »

Please vote to pass defeat the equal rights amendment.

If this is enacted, the national government makes further encroachments on our liberties. The regions are best suited to handle social issues not Nyman.

I fail to see how prohibiting discriminatory actions by the government is an encroachment on our liberties; it appears to be a decrease of encroachment.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #61 on: September 10, 2012, 03:47:11 PM »

It violates the principals of duel federalism and regional sovreginity. For instance if I proposed a traditional marriage amendment this would prevent that. If a region wants to outlaw gay marriage or abortion they should be allowed to without retaliation from the national government.
Kaine for Senate '18
benconstine
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #62 on: September 10, 2012, 03:59:32 PM »

I disagree.  The national government has a responsibility to ensure freedom for all citizens; it cannot, and should not, allow a region to pass discriminatory legislation.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #63 on: September 10, 2012, 04:17:02 PM »

I disagree.  The national government has a responsibility to ensure freedom for all citizens; it cannot, and should not, allow a region to pass discriminatory legislation.

But this proposal, as I stated earlier, violates the principals of duel federalism and regional sovreginity. That's why Barry Goldwater opposed the Civil Rights Act of 1964. To ensure freedom of one group governments often violate the rights of another group. Like allowing abortion violates the rights of that baby in the womb or gay marriage violates the rights of religious institutions to determine who can and who can't marry. Look at what Vanderbelt did kicking the Christian groups out because they only want Christians as leaders in their groups.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #64 on: September 10, 2012, 04:31:32 PM »

But this proposal, as I stated earlier, violates the principals of duel federalism and regional sovreginity. That's why Barry Goldwater opposed the Civil Rights Act of 1964. To ensure freedom of one group governments often violate the rights of another group. Like allowing abortion violates the rights of that baby in the womb or gay marriage violates the rights of religious institutions to determine who can and who can't marry. Look at what Vanderbelt did kicking the Christian groups out because they only want Christians as leaders in their groups.

Religious institutions do not determine who can and cannot marry, they determine who they shall marry and do not dictate the decrees of other religious or secular groups. Regardless, gay marriage is not recognized by the Atlasian government.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #65 on: September 10, 2012, 04:40:45 PM »

Don't civil unions (which Atlasia does allow) basically allow gay marriage?
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #66 on: September 10, 2012, 04:45:34 PM »

Religious institutions do not determine who can and cannot marry, they determine who they shall marry and do not dictate the decrees of other religious or secular groups. Regardless, gay marriage is not recognized by the Atlasian government.

I thought it had been legal in Atlasia since '05?
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #67 on: September 10, 2012, 05:21:13 PM »

Under the current law only secular civil unions are legally recognized in Atlasia and marriage is solely the dominion of the religious institutions, to do with as they wish, which means, JCL, that the institution of marriage does not necessarily include LGBT couples and the institution itself is not weakened unless a religious organization decides to marry said couple. Churches do not have to marry LGBT couples if they do not want to, and no ideology influences marriage except within the church itself. I believe (though I'm not certain) that Atlasian institutions such as (focusing solely on Christian denominations here, and accuracy may not ) the Episcopal Church, the Religious Society of Friends, the Lutheran Church, the Presbyterian Church, and the Unitarian Universalists ordain LGBT marriages, while the Roman Catholic Church, the Orthodox Church, Mormons, Jehovah's Witnesses, the Disciples of Christ, and the Northern Baptists, as well as the fundies, do not.
MyRescueKittehRocks
JohanusCalvinusLibertas
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #68 on: September 10, 2012, 10:53:45 PM »

Why are you so afraid of mentioning one of the evangelical sects by specific name. Just using the perjorative "fundie"  They, or I should say we, go by many names. The Church of God (Anderson, IN) The Church of God (Cleveland, TN) COGIC (Church of God in Christ), The Southern Baptist Convention, The Wesleyan Church (my former sect), the Assemblies of God (my church now) and there's many more where that comes from.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #69 on: September 11, 2012, 05:08:02 AM »

Why are you so afraid of mentioning one of the evangelical sects by specific name. Just using the perjorative "fundie"  They, or I should say we, go by many names. The Church of God (Anderson, IN) The Church of God (Cleveland, TN) COGIC (Church of God in Christ), The Southern Baptist Convention, The Wesleyan Church (my former sect), the Assemblies of God (my church now) and there's many more where that comes from.

They (AFAIK) are not split on whether or not they allow gay marriage, while mainline churches are, which is why they're listed separately.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #70 on: September 11, 2012, 09:59:40 AM »

There should have been a reasonable limits section in this amendment.

If it passes and I ever go into a government building and see bathrooms that are segregated by gender, I will flip out. You see, those bathrooms would represent a spirit of inequality and discrimination on the part of the Republic of Atlasia. I could not stand for that.

[/sarcasm]
Supersonic
SupersonicVenue
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: 0.35

« Reply #71 on: September 11, 2012, 12:10:30 PM »

Under the current law only secular civil unions are legally recognized in Atlasia.

Oh my. That's even worse than I thought.

How disgusting that marriage is not recognised by the government.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #72 on: September 11, 2012, 12:21:02 PM »

Marriage should be a function of religion and not government. I am pleased that Atlasia law recognizes that.
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #73 on: September 11, 2012, 01:06:18 PM »

Under the current law only secular civil unions are legally recognized in Atlasia.

Please read Jefferson's letter to the Danbury Baptists.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #74 on: September 11, 2012, 01:21:57 PM »

You should sign my marriage initiative in the citizen's initiative thread!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies