Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 23, 2014, 04:57:31 pm
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Don't forget to get your 2013 Gubernatorial Endorsements and Predictions in!

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Questions and Answers
| |-+  The Atlas
| | |-+  Petition to unban Straha!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Print
Author Topic: Petition to unban Straha!  (Read 5071 times)
Joe Republic
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 03, 2012, 11:12:56 pm »
Ignore

OK well point remains that Dave did not ban the main account.

Which he should have.  And would have too, if he had been in any way involved in day to day forum activity.

Anyway, Dave has abdicated his role as chief moderator in favor of Nym, who arguably has the power to retroactively overrule Dave on certain moderation decisions.

You guys talk about 'precedent' and 'statute of limitations' like this is an actual court of law.  Not only is this a private internet forum with its own set of rules, but it's just a freakin' internet forum.  Quit whining like he was a goddamn martyr.

Real Americans (and Big Sky Bob) demand to know.

I just slept for 11 hours, so I should need a nap today, but we'll see.
black and white band photos
BRTD
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 03, 2012, 11:22:42 pm »
Ignore

So if Straha had begun regularly posting again once his mod review expired and continued to be a regular poster from thereon it would be acceptable to ban him as soon as Nym was granted the modadmin powers?

01/05/2004-01/10/2014
Joe Republic
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 03, 2012, 11:25:20 pm »
Ignore

So if Straha had begun regularly posting again once his mod review expired and continued to be a regular poster from thereon it would be acceptable to ban him as soon as Nym was granted the modadmin powers?

Define 'regular poster'.

BRTD
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 03, 2012, 11:28:10 pm »
Ignore

Someone who posts on a regular basis, as he did prior to his mod review.

01/05/2004-01/10/2014
Joe Republic
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 03, 2012, 11:30:27 pm »
Ignore

Ok, I thought so.  Given that it was Straha, who proved that three separate bouts of mod review (at exponentially increasing terms) did absolutely nothing to change his behavior, yeah of course.

oakvale
YaBB God
Ireland, Republic of
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 03, 2012, 11:31:31 pm »
Ignore

I don't know Straha or much care about these masturbatory crusades some people go on every time there's a controversial banning, but it seems fairly obvious from reading this thread that Dave didn't want Straha around and, if he was active in moderating this place, would presuambly have banned him when he reappeared, non? Huh

<peeperkorn> this forum is full of allergic virgins with nosebleeding
BRTD
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 03, 2012, 11:33:53 pm »
Ignore

Ok, I thought so.  Given that it was Straha, who proved that three separate bouts of mod review (at exponentially increasing terms) did absolutely nothing to change his behavior, yeah of course.

But he did upon his return, where I doubt he accumulated a single death point.

I don't know Straha or much care about these masturbatory crusades some people go on every time there's a controversial banning, but it seems fairly obvious from reading this thread that Dave didn't want Straha around and, if he was active in moderating this place, would presuambly have banned him when he reappeared, non? Huh

So why did Dave not ban him? Remember that Dave did ban Deano earlier that year so he clearly had precedent for doing so.

01/05/2004-01/10/2014
BRTD
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 03, 2012, 11:40:56 pm »
Ignore

oakie you obviously don't realize Straha's influence on forum culture. It's up there with opebo's and Tweed's. Just for starters he popularized "epic fail" amongst the forum.

01/05/2004-01/10/2014
Joe Republic
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 03, 2012, 11:43:57 pm »
Ignore

Personally I saw no evidence of that, and frankly I wouldn't have felt like waiting around to find out.  He was a pain in everyone's collective asses for like two years (including yours, hilariously enough).  He had it coming.

So why did Dave not ban him? Remember that Dave did ban Deano earlier that year so he clearly had precedent for doing so.

"Precedent" again.

Need I remind you that Dave's approach to banning posters was scattershot, to put it charitably.  He didn't really know who 95% of posters were.

oakie you obviously don't realize Straha's influence on forum culture. It's up there with opebo's and Tweed's. Just for starters he popularized "epic fail" amongst the forum.

4chan memes eventually make their way to the rest of the internet, you know.

Also, LOL if you think any of those three sentences are helping your case.
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012, 11:58:00 pm by Joe Republic »Logged

Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: May 04, 2012, 12:46:22 am »
Ignore

Honestly, it's very possible it slipped his mind to go back to ban the account since it seemed like Straha wasn't posting from it anymore and wouldn't in the future.
R2D2
20RP12
YaBB God
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -7.74, S: -7.48

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 04, 2012, 05:17:26 am »
Ignore

I love learning about forum history.

i like girls but there is NOTHING better then a sexi hott dude
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 04, 2012, 09:35:41 am »
Ignore

damn, bro, you SUCK as a public defender

Do not fight with one another over my banning.  I've enjoyed the time I have spent with all of you, but the time really has come for me to leave.  It is what I want.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9Y_GLT4_9I

I looked over Jordan, and what did I see?
Coming for to carry me home,
A band of angels coming after me,
Coming for to carry me home.

Swing low, sweet chariot,
BRTD
YaBB God
United Kingdom

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 04, 2012, 10:13:35 am »
Ignore

Look you can't say "Oh but Dave should've banned Straha anyway" or "He probably intended to but forgot". The latter doesn't look likely at all since he DID ban the socks, so why simply overlook the main Straha account? It makes no sense to wait until that account finished mod review and then ban it.

01/05/2004-01/10/2014
Governor Varavour
Simfan34
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: 5.91

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 04, 2012, 11:41:07 am »
Ignore

Internet forums are ultimately dictatorships of the domain holders. Remember that.

© tweed
Miamiu1027
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.52, S: -8.00

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 04, 2012, 12:34:46 pm »
Ignore

Internet forums are ultimately dictatorships of the domain holders. Remember that.

they are ultimately the product of the relations between the users/community and the ownership and its representatives.  Dave (partially) funds the site through contributions by not a few of us, at a most base level.  and beyond that the site's vitality has much to do with the membership; so such a hands-in-the-air fatalism is misplaced.

in a mirror, dimly lit
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: May 04, 2012, 12:56:13 pm »
Ignore

Look you can't say "Oh but Dave should've banned Straha anyway" or "He probably intended to but forgot". The latter doesn't look likely at all since he DID ban the socks, so why simply overlook the main Straha account? It makes no sense to wait until that account finished mod review and then ban it.

I'm not saying that we should ban him because he overlooked it.  I'm saying it's likely that he did overlook it (based on past actions he's taken with other sock accounts).  But until we have proof that that's what happened, I think Straha needs to be unbanned.
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 04, 2012, 01:01:45 pm »
Ignore

Dave (partially) funds the site through contributions by not a few of us, at a most base level...

come again?  members of this forum help Dave fund this site?   Is that why I haven't been promoted to modship, because I haven't greased the wheels?

Do not fight with one another over my banning.  I've enjoyed the time I have spent with all of you, but the time really has come for me to leave.  It is what I want.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9Y_GLT4_9I

I looked over Jordan, and what did I see?
Coming for to carry me home,
A band of angels coming after me,

Swing low, sweet chariot,
wormyguy
YaBB God
Liechtenstein

Political Matrix
E: 4.52, S: -1.57

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 04, 2012, 01:12:39 pm »
Ignore

Dave (partially) funds the site through contributions by not a few of us, at a most base level...

come again?  members of this forum help Dave fund this site?   Is that why I haven't been promoted to modship, because I haven't greased the wheels?

Dave sells more detailed election data that he's compiled.
Mechaman
YaBB God
Jamaica

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 04, 2012, 01:21:48 pm »
Ignore

Am I the only person who finds the man behind BIGBLACKCOCK defending the banning of Straha to be entirely hypocritical?

Seriously Joe, you have no MORAL basis to be saying that Straha deserved to be banned.  Especially three years later.

17:20   bore   the point of atlasia is to achieve things which you can then use as pick up lines
Joe Republic
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 04, 2012, 01:30:44 pm »
Ignore

I don't recall spamming the forum with useless 4chan memes for two years.  Huh

Grumpy Old Fart
GM3PRP
YaBB God
Korea, Democratic People's Republic of
View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 04, 2012, 01:35:38 pm »
Ignore

Whether I agree with Joe or not I always respect his position on these matters since he hardly wages jihad against posters.....

And let's be honest, Obama could take a selfie of his junk in the bathroom mirror with his BlackBerry, have it transferred to canvas and you'd have people saying it ought to be hung in the National Gallery.

Christmas Bushie 2014
BushOklahoma
YaBB God
Kenya

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: May 04, 2012, 01:56:54 pm »
Ignore

I know that we were comparing apples and oranges, but if jamespol and texasindy came back under their original accounts, everyone would be calling for their heads (and probably my head since I am friends with them off the forum).

My earlier comment notwithstanding, I do think that the site would be better off if Inks left his position. (The fact that the village idiot has dropped in to express his support for him only confirms this.)
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: May 04, 2012, 01:59:58 pm »
Ignore

I know that we were comparing apples and oranges, but if jamespol and texasindy came back under their original accounts, everyone would be calling for their heads (and probably my head since I am friends with them off the forum).

Both of their original accounts were banned.
Joe Republic
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: May 04, 2012, 02:08:33 pm »
Ignore

Texasindy wasn't banned.  She just wanted to be.

Which basically proves the scattershot and inconsistent nature of Dave's moderation*, which no longer exists under Nym.

* Whose primary interest is and always has been the site's content.  I've never blamed him for not getting so involved in the forum.

Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: May 04, 2012, 02:16:56 pm »
Ignore

I thought Dave did finally ban her after she went nuts with spamming the forum to have her account deleted.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout