Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 24, 2014, 01:15:22 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Don't forget to get your 2013 Gubernatorial Endorsements and Predictions in!

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Questions and Answers
| |-+  The Atlas
| | |-+  Petition to unban Straha!
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 Print
Author Topic: Petition to unban Straha!  (Read 4716 times)
Swing low, sweet chariot. Comin' for to carry me home.
jmfcst
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #100 on: May 07, 2012, 12:05:10 pm »
Ignore

I can see ministerial error being used to render proper punishment such as the proper fine for speeding, etc....but has ministerial error ever been used to condemn someone to death?

"yo, we forgot to kill you 3 years ago, our bad...so we are now re-arresting you, please step up to the gallows!"

Do not fight with one another over my banning.  I've enjoyed the time I have spent with all of you, but the time really has come for me to leave.  It is what I want.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z9Y_GLT4_9I

I looked over Jordan, and what did I see?
Coming for to carry me home,
A band of angels coming after me,
Coming for to carry me home.

Swing low, sweet chariot,
Torie
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: May 07, 2012, 12:16:13 pm »
Ignore

I can see ministerial error being used to render proper punishment such as the proper fine for speeding, etc....but has ministerial error ever been used to condemn someone to death?

"yo, we forgot to kill you 3 years ago, our bad...so we are now re-arresting you, please step up to the gallows!"

Well there might be a possible defense of cruel and unusual punishment, but otherwise the guy should be planning upon whom he wants to bunk with in heaven.
jmfcst
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: May 07, 2012, 01:26:47 pm »
Ignore

Well there might be a possible defense of cruel and unusual punishment

no, I would mount a defense of double jeopardy (he already served the sentence previously handed down).  If someone was sentenced for one year, then completely that one year sentence and walked free for 2 years.  It's a little strange to have a new judge rearrest him and impose the "proper" sentence.

But, like I stated, I don't remember the guy.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 01:29:06 pm by consigliere jmfcst »Logged

Do not fight with one another over my banning.  I've enjoyed the time I have spent with all of you, but the time really has come for me to leave.  It is what I want.

Torie
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: May 07, 2012, 01:46:43 pm »
Ignore

Well there might be a possible defense of cruel and unusual punishment

no, I would mount a defense of double jeopardy (he already served the sentence previously handed down).  If someone was sentenced for one year, then completely that one year sentence and walked free for 2 years.  It's a little strange to have a new judge rearrest him and impose the "proper" sentence.

But, like I stated, I don't remember the guy.

Well the guy could file a writ of habeas corpus, but you know what Lincoln did with the one  Chief Justice Taney granted don't you? 
jmfcst
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: May 07, 2012, 01:49:22 pm »
Ignore

If anyone would like to appeal this decision, feel free to email Dave directly and state your case.

you must know that saying "feel free to email Dave directly" is tantamount to giving us The Finger.   One might as well sacrifice 100 bulls to Baal.

the onus of appeal should have been on the Mod team (the Mods should have appealed the original sentence), before exposing a poster to double jeopardy for something that 1) happened 3 years ago, 2) was already judged and sentenced, 3) sentence was served.

where is the due diligence, why are you "operating on the assumption that this was a mere oversight" when you, above everyone else on the forum, have opportunity to query The Dave?

[edited for constructiveness]
« Last Edit: May 07, 2012, 03:15:41 pm by consigliere jmfcst »Logged

Grumps
GM3PRP
YaBB God
Korea, Democratic People's Republic of
View Profile
« Reply #105 on: May 07, 2012, 01:51:11 pm »
Ignore

Seriously jmf......isn't that enough?

jmfcst
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: May 07, 2012, 01:54:55 pm »
Ignore

Well the guy could file a writ of habeas corpus, but you know what Lincoln did with the one  Chief Justice Taney granted don't you? 

well, Lincoln did take drastic actions during a time of war, which only proves the point the Mods regularly operate as if there were an existential threat to the Forum that must be destroyed.

jmfcst
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: May 07, 2012, 01:56:18 pm »
Ignore

ok, I'll digress

Torie
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #108 on: May 07, 2012, 02:06:44 pm »
Ignore

ok, I'll digress

Digress into what? Tongue  "Desist" is the ticket here. Sometimes one just doesn't get one's way. Heck that still even happens to me sometimes, although I try to make that as rare as possible. Smiley
jmfcst
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: May 07, 2012, 02:34:45 pm »
Ignore

Digress into what? Tongue  "Desist" is the ticket here.

look, I know the Mod team doesn't like dissent from posters and wishes we cease and desist, but some of that same dissent has helped make the Mod team more "moderate". 

The Train Room©
Eraserhead
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: May 07, 2012, 05:24:32 pm »
Ignore

I feel you should continue, jmfcst.

What are you talking about Duke?  Things are great so far.   I do have to cling to God no matter what.  I have nothing against this at all,  but in my class there are 9 blacks and 4 whites.  African Americans are quite prevalent in that part of Tulsa.  I don't mind it at all,  but it is an interesting fact in white Oklahoma.
Grumps
GM3PRP
YaBB God
Korea, Democratic People's Republic of
View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 07, 2012, 07:53:22 pm »
Ignore

What, being a rambling fool helps, E.  C'mon

Psychic Octopus
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: May 07, 2012, 09:05:10 pm »
Ignore

X NiK

jmfcst
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 08, 2012, 09:27:23 am »
Ignore

What, being a rambling fool helps, E.  C'mon

agreed, that's why I edited my most pointed post.

jmfcst
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 08, 2012, 09:29:32 am »
Ignore

sorry to all for the drama, but there's just something about an execution that get my blood flowing.  they're just so...final.

Miamiu1027
YaBB God
United States
View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 08, 2012, 10:23:05 am »
Ignore

sorry to all for the drama, but there's just something about an execution that get my blood flowing.  they're just so...final.

been reading some Camus lately?
The Train Room©
Eraserhead
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 08, 2012, 01:36:09 pm »
Ignore

been reading some Camus lately?

"For everything to be consummated, for me to feel less alone, I had only to wish that there be a large crowd of spectators the day of my execution and that they greet me with cries of hate."

What are you talking about Duke?  Things are great so far.   I do have to cling to God no matter what.  I have nothing against this at all,  but in my class there are 9 blacks and 4 whites.  African Americans are quite prevalent in that part of Tulsa.  I don't mind it at all,  but it is an interesting fact in white Oklahoma.
Joe Republic
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 08, 2012, 01:54:38 pm »
Ignore

The number of pages of this petition is catching up to the number of actual signatures on it.
jmfcst
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 08, 2012, 02:03:59 pm »
Ignore

since Inks refused to answer the question, and has gotten out his pop gun and shot a wad of 17 death points my way in the last hour...can one of you Mods suggest a place for the rest of us to formulate proposals to present to the Mods, since it appears they are not welcomed on the FC Board?

Assemblyman & Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.61, S: 1.48

P P P

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: May 08, 2012, 04:09:03 pm »
Ignore

since Inks refused to answer the question, and has gotten out his pop gun and shot a wad of 17 death points my way in the last hour...can one of you Mods suggest a place for the rest of us to formulate proposals to present to the Mods, since it appears they are not welcomed on the FC Board?

If you have a SERIOUS proposal, post it on The Atlas board.
jmfcst
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: May 08, 2012, 04:29:29 pm »
Ignore

If you have a SERIOUS proposal, post it on The Atlas board.

1) it was serious attempt at producing a serious proposal, and it was considered serious enough to be supported by nearly 90% of those who voiced an opinion through their votes.  And I disagreed, for the very reason of keeping it serious, with proposals to have me or opebo or MiamiU as mods of the new sub-board. 

2) But I thought the Atlas board was too "high level" and not enough "churn" (topic would have remained on first page for months) for the sausage making process of formulating a proposal, so I intended to use the FC board to get everyone's input, then take to the Atlas board if a broad consensus was reached.

3) that salvo of 17 death points, and no, I did NOT miscount them (5+3+5+4), were nothing more than an attempt to intimidate other posters (cause, obviously, they didn't intimidate me).  So you can just climb down from your DEFCON 2 posture, for no one believes you have the balls to go to DEFCON 1 and launch nukes against me.  Tongue

Smid
YaBB God
Australia

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 08, 2012, 04:32:22 pm »
Ignore

This is an awesome post, not just because I share these views on capital punishment, but because it's coming from a Republican from Texas.
opebo
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 08, 2012, 04:58:38 pm »
Ignore

3) that salvo of 17 death points, and no, I did NOT miscount them (5+3+5+4), were nothing more than an attempt to intimidate other posters (cause, obviously, they didn't intimidate me).  So you can just climb down from your DEFCON 2 posture, for no one believes you have the balls to go to DEFCON 1 and launch nukes against me.  Tongue

They always give these heavy volleys of death-points about unrelated posts whenever a poster questions or criticizes them.  It has certainly happened to me.  What makes you think they wouldn't step it up to outright banning?  I'm pretty sure that's where they're headed - banning people like you and I.

The essence of democracy at its purest is a lynch mob

Miamiu1027
YaBB God
United States
View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 08, 2012, 05:26:12 pm »
Ignore

I don't know, I think the beat-back that happened in the wake of the Inks-Deluge debacle (and the descent of Leip to address it) means that the Mods don't have the standing right now to pull off a ban of a big-name poster.  this place would absolutely erupt, at least for opebo.  jmf maybe a bit less so, but still an outcry.  doesn't mean it could not happen at a future point.
opebo
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 08, 2012, 05:35:58 pm »
Ignore

I don't know, I think the beat-back that happened in the wake of the Inks-Deluge debacle (and the descent of Leip to address it) means that the Mods don't have the standing right now to pull off a ban of a big-name poster.  this place would absolutely erupt, at least for opebo.  jmf maybe a bit less so, but still an outcry.  doesn't mean it could not happen at a future point.

I'm just saying it is the goal.  Authoritarianism is a process, not an immediate phenomenon.

The essence of democracy at its purest is a lynch mob

Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout