Anarchists Arrested for Trying to Bomb Cleveland-area Bridge
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:08:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Anarchists Arrested for Trying to Bomb Cleveland-area Bridge
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Anarchists Arrested for Trying to Bomb Cleveland-area Bridge  (Read 3949 times)
k-onmmunist
Winston Disraeli
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2012, 05:40:46 PM »

Blowing up the bridges and then rebuilding them all would be excellent economic policy, however.

The broken window theory of economic development is bunk.

Well, obviously it isn't, but your objection is beside the point since the bridges are already 'broken' by wear and tear.

If you destroy a window, then you're giving work to the person to replace it, but it means the owner of said broken window is out of pocket, which could have been used to buy something else and thus stimulate the economy elsewhere.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2012, 05:53:17 PM »

not that I think parables are useful to explain real-world, but I'll engage.  are we not assuming that the fact the window was being broken had no effect on economic activity?  just because the money could have been spent on hookers if the window remained whole, doesn't mean I would not have sat on my ass and let the money rot under my mattress?  but surely if a bridge is blown up something would be done about it.
TJ in Oregon
TJ in Cleve
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.13, S: 6.96

« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2012, 05:57:47 PM »

We have enough infrastructure problems to fix around here without blowing up bridges to create new ones.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2012, 07:29:33 PM »

If you destroy a window, then you're giving work to the person to replace it, but it means the owner of said broken window is out of pocket, which could have been used to buy something else and thus stimulate the economy elsewhere.

You're not talking about the proposal at hand at all.  The bridges aren't owned by anyone who has a limited 'budget', but by the State.

Anyway, why not just produce windows and throw them into the ocean?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2012, 08:48:53 PM »

You're not talking about the proposal at hand at all.  The bridges aren't owned by anyone who has a limited 'budget', but by the State.

Rather than building replacement bridges, wouldn't it advance the goals of the State more for them to use their printed money to hire and arm some more jack-booted thugs to go out and arrest people and put them in prison until bridges stop being blown up?  Your proposal leaves us with fewer bridges and more police, which is hardly a desirable combination.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies