A Mitt Romney presidency would be disastrous for race relations
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:44:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  A Mitt Romney presidency would be disastrous for race relations
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: A Mitt Romney presidency would be disastrous for race relations  (Read 10238 times)
So rightwing that I broke the Political Compass!
Rockingham

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: May 04, 2012, 12:40:17 AM »
« edited: May 04, 2012, 12:42:44 AM by Kyro sayz »

This whole thread is surreal, but since we are on the topic, do you think there is a possibility we could see a return of this?

I like to think we are beyond this kind of barbarism, but maybe I'm being naive...
You are naive. Hate crimes have been consistently increasing over the past few years
http://www.usatoday.com/news/nation/2009-11-23-hate-crimes_N.htm

Hey Kyro seems to be you still stuck in the 1960's. Your postings have been terrible.
Excuse me? Do you think I'm advocating this? I'm no bigot.

If ever an election was going to produce a riot, it was 2000. And all we had then was the Brooks Brothers Riot.
Look, if Romney were to win thanks to some kind of Willie Horton race-baiting strategy, or by embracing birtherism, then there might be tension. But Romney's not going to do that; he's not the cleverest campaigner ever, but he can see that's a bad idea. If we did have another election decided the way 2000 was, and Romney won as a result, there might be tension. But overall, African-Americans have a lot of experience of watching white guys win elections.
I don't think their will be much if any rioting after the election. But I think it will sow disillusionment and discontent in the black community. And that, coupled with an economic depression that hits blacks hardest(and this after 4 years of recession in their community), coupled with the abolition of government programs upon which they depend... you really think things wouldn't boil over?
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #26 on: May 04, 2012, 12:48:34 AM »

Better question: Do you think white Southerners will riot if Obama gets re-elected?
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #27 on: May 04, 2012, 12:54:48 AM »

Nah, the riots will happen a couple years later when the world stops trading in the USD and inflation destroys the US.
LastVoter
seatown
YaBB God
Thailand

« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2012, 12:57:52 AM »

If ever an election was going to produce a riot, it was 2000. And all we had then was the Brooks Brothers Riot.
Look, if Romney were to win thanks to some kind of Willie Horton race-baiting strategy, or by embracing birtherism, then there might be tension. But Romney's not going to do that; he's not the cleverest campaigner ever, but he can see that's a bad idea. If we did have another election decided the way 2000 was, and Romney won as a result, there might be tension. But overall, African-Americans have a lot of experience of watching white guys win elections.
You know there are younger African Americans don't have experience watching black guys lose elections. If the election feels stolen(lost in by a hair in a state that recently passed voter ID) you can expect riots as bad as those in 1960's.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #29 on: May 04, 2012, 01:10:43 AM »

Nah, the riots will happen a couple years later when the world stops trading in the USD and inflation destroys the US.

Nah, we'll have the Amero by that point, and the UN peacekeeping forces stationed in every US town will put a stop to any riots.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2012, 01:47:14 AM »

If Romney actually wins this, and we have major race riots, I'll buy you a car.
Fuzzybigfoot
YaBB God
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2012, 02:26:46 AM »

tl;dr
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2012, 05:58:42 AM »

This is massive hyperbole surrounding a grain of truth.

My tl;dr version: There is a high probability of an uptick in racial tension in the next 1-2 years.  The uptick is more probable and would be more pronounced with Romney as president, but largely due to his status as not-Obama, not because of who he is.

How I see this rolling is as a reaction to the Trayvon Martin retaliations and similar news events.  If we keep seeing stories about white people getting attacked as retaliation for Trayvon, you'll start to see stories of black people getting attacked on their behalf.  I simply think the tenor today, particularly in the south, could facilitate active racial conflict in a way that would not have been possible in recent decades.  (I just can't see a Reginald Denny/LA Riots situation going unresponded to today.)  It's petering out a bit now but could flare up when Zimmerman gets acquitted (which I'm expecting).

Just to be clear, I don't see anything like race war happening, but I can see some white vs. black violence in racially charged unintegrated areas.

This whole thread is surreal, but since we are on the topic, do you think there is a possibility we could see a return of this?

I like to think we are beyond this kind of barbarism, but maybe I'm being naive...

already got it in a postmodern, institutionalized form: mass incarceration and deportation.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #33 on: May 05, 2012, 03:38:58 PM »

I don't know what Rockinghams problem is but he doesn't seem to have a clue what he is talking about. First of all Romney will not win unless the economy sours. So if we start seeing a few job reports with less than 50k jobs, or even worse, job losses we will see Obama lose. If Europe starts collapsing and that causes a stock market collapse, the same will happen. But in that situation there will be plenty of justification for that to happen. And in that situation a lot of Latinos and Asians will switch to Romney along with Whites. Hell, I could see some Blacks switching as well. Romney will not run a racist campaign, mainly because he knows that won't work rather than any value system he may have.

Maybe Rockingham thinks the vast majority of Blacks are just violent, drug addled, ghetto people who will riot at the smallest perceived slight. But of course that would make him a racist wouldn't it.....Also kudos to everyone (save the globalizer who has made idiotic posts in the past iirc) from both sides of the aisle who have said this is ridiculous.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #34 on: May 05, 2012, 07:35:25 PM »

Race riots?

In 2013 America?

WTF is this s**t?
Rockingham

« Reply #35 on: May 05, 2012, 10:48:49 PM »

Maybe Rockingham thinks the vast majority of Blacks are just violent, drug addled, ghetto people who will riot at the smallest perceived slight. But of course that would make him a racist wouldn't it.....Also kudos to everyone (save the globalizer who has made idiotic posts in the past iirc) from both sides of the aisle who have said this is ridiculous.
No, Rockingham thinks blacks are already suffering economic conditions comparable to a depression, and if you put another depression on top of that+the defeat of a president they have vast sentimental investment in by a percieved racist+that man abolishing welfare programs upon which they increasingly depend+the modern internet(and to a lesser media)'s propensity towards echo chambers of incendiary rage.... their has to be a breaking point where riots occur. 2 years of depression, 4, who knows.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #36 on: May 05, 2012, 10:53:39 PM »

Care to offer more then a few dots? Or will you refuse to believe me until blacks are rioting on your doorstep?

That Mormons are considered racist.

Of course, if there is rioting, maybe I can pick up a new TV?

It is really hard to say that the same people that elected Obama in 2008 are racist.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #37 on: May 05, 2012, 11:16:34 PM »

It's becoming abundantly clear that Rockingham is about 15 years old.
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #38 on: May 05, 2012, 11:22:39 PM »

He was a troll on AH.com back in 08, so he'd have to at least be in his late teens.
Rockingham

« Reply #39 on: May 05, 2012, 11:54:26 PM »

Excuse me? I am providing an argument in favour of my position(see below). Others are choosing to ignore it and ridicule me instead. And I'm the immature one?

No, Rockingham thinks blacks are already suffering economic conditions comparable to a depression, and if you put another depression on top of that+the defeat of a president they have vast sentimental investment in by a percieved racist+that man abolishing welfare programs upon which they increasingly depend+the modern internet(and to a lesser media)'s propensity towards echo chambers of incendiary rage.... their has to be a breaking point where riots occur. 2 years of depression, 4, who knows.

Are people actually insane enough to believe that a breaking point doesn't exist?
Snowstalker Mk. II
Snowstalker
Atlas Star
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -7.10, S: -4.35

P P P
« Reply #40 on: May 05, 2012, 11:56:17 PM »

Blacks aren't going to riot just because Obama loses.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #41 on: May 05, 2012, 11:56:34 PM »

He was a troll on AH.com back in 08, so he'd have to at least be in his late teens.

Btw wormy, I would be the first minority senator, not you. I guess this is the best thread to say it since its basically just crap otherwise. Tongue
tpfkaw
wormyguy
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.58, S: 1.65

« Reply #42 on: May 05, 2012, 11:58:59 PM »

Btw wormy, I would be the first minority senator, not you. I guess this is the best thread to say it since its basically just crap otherwise. Tongue

Asian?  Doesn't count.  (Oppressor, not oppressed).
Rockingham

« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2012, 12:07:58 AM »
« Edited: May 06, 2012, 12:16:24 AM by Kyro sayz »

I didn't say that. I said they would be disillusioned by his defeat. In combination with another recession or outright depression(courtesy of crisis in Europe and China) and the abolition of government assistance upon which their population depends(if you look at the economic statistics within the black community, they are akin to what you see amongst the general population during a depression, so imagine how bad things will get for blacks economically if an actual depression occurs)... and remember the internet and to a lesser extent other media increasingly function as echochambers that beget rage and paranoia...

You have to be severely optimistic to not see where this is headed/ Society and subpopulations within society always possess a tipping point at which social breakdown occurs, and we're going to cross that tipping point.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #44 on: May 06, 2012, 12:17:22 AM »

Well, he denies that's him (which is is hilarious considering the considerable overlap in membership between both places), but I guess he could have been a troll at 11 or 12. Wink
Rockingham

« Reply #45 on: May 06, 2012, 12:31:17 AM »

Well, he denies that's him (which is is hilarious considering the considerable overlap in membership between both places), but I guess he could have been a troll at 11 or 12. Wink
Provide proof or address the point I've been making on this thread.
Rockingham

« Reply #46 on: May 06, 2012, 12:32:18 AM »

Putting this post up again since it got sunk on the last post of page 4.

I didn't say that. I said they would be disillusioned by his defeat. In combination with another recession or outright depression(courtesy of crisis in Europe and China) and the abolition of government assistance upon which their population depends(if you look at the economic statistics within the black community, they are akin to what you see amongst the general population during a depression, so imagine how bad things will get for blacks economically if an actual depression occurs)... and remember the internet and to a lesser extent other media increasingly function as echochambers that beget rage and paranoia...

You have to be severely optimistic to not see where this is headed/ Society and subpopulations within society always possess a tipping point at which social breakdown occurs, and we're going to cross that tipping point.
Queen Mum Inks.LWC
Inks.LWC
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: -2.78

P P

« Reply #47 on: May 06, 2012, 12:55:21 AM »

Excuse me? I am providing an argument in favour of my position(see below). Others are choosing to ignore it and ridicule me instead. And I'm the immature one?

Are people actually insane enough to believe that a breaking point doesn't exist?

Yes, THERE (not "their") is a breaking point where riots occur.  We are not remotely close to that point, though.

What evidence are you basing this theory on?
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #48 on: May 06, 2012, 01:03:43 AM »

A breaking point exists, but why only blacks? If what Rockingham says comes true, the entire population ought to be revolting.

Of course, no such thing will occur. People will sit at home and watching Dancing with the Stars, and lament the fact that they are deprived as their own fault. That is the nature of people- passive and docile.

Why, just look at Spain. They have been dealing with over 20% unemployment there for years. It is a wonder there are no riots. And yet, nothing. If anything, I would expect to see an explosion there first, before America.
Sbane
sbane
Atlas Icon

« Reply #49 on: May 06, 2012, 02:21:11 AM »

Asian?  Doesn't count.  (Oppressor, not oppressed).

Brown though, so I dunno.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies