A Mitt Romney presidency would be disastrous for race relations (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:53:07 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  A Mitt Romney presidency would be disastrous for race relations (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: A Mitt Romney presidency would be disastrous for race relations  (Read 10294 times)
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« on: May 03, 2012, 11:05:59 AM »

Forgive me, but if blacks start riots just because Mitt Romney is Mitt Romney, we have much bigger problems on our hands. Mitt has made it pretty clear that he absolutely does not want to talk about social issues if he doesn't have to. I think Mitt Romney's expressions of Mormonism will be even quieter than Barack's expressions of Christianity while in office. Romney's a calculated dude. If he upsets people, it won't be because he's "a racist Mormon."
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 11:42:47 AM »

I have faith that blacks will be able to know about Romney's Mormonism and still tolerate it.

"The only way blacks will accept Mitt Romney is if they forget he's a Mormon!" That ain't what I'm suggesting.

And it may be that many Republicans thought/think that Obama is a Muslim. Even so, I can't say it's led to riots in the streets.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 11:51:53 AM »

I have faith that blacks will be able to know about Romney's Mormonism and still tolerate it.

"The only way blacks will accept Mitt Romney is if they forget he's a Mormon!" That ain't what I'm suggesting.

And it may be that many Republicans thought/think that Obama is a Muslim. Even so, I can't say it's led to riots in the streets.
Republicans are neither as poor, nor as dependant on government benefits, nor as confident of being under ethnic besiegement, nor as young a demographic. They're also disproportionately employed- they don't have so much time on their hands. And they nowhere as near as rock dumb as the average ghetto black.

You just lost all your credibility.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 11:55:41 PM »

This is massive hyperbole surrounding a grain of truth.

My tl;dr version: There is a high probability of an uptick in racial tension in the next 1-2 years.  The uptick is more probable and would be more pronounced with Romney as president, but largely due to his status as not-Obama, not because of who he is.

How I see this rolling is as a reaction to the Trayvon Martin retaliations and similar news events.  If we keep seeing stories about white people getting attacked as retaliation for Trayvon, you'll start to see stories of black people getting attacked on their behalf.  I simply think the tenor today, particularly in the south, could facilitate active racial conflict in a way that would not have been possible in recent decades.  (I just can't see a Reginald Denny/LA Riots situation going unresponded to today.)  It's petering out a bit now but could flare up when Zimmerman gets acquitted (which I'm expecting).

Just to be clear, I don't see anything like race war happening, but I can see some white vs. black violence in racially charged unintegrated areas.

This whole thread is surreal, but since we are on the topic, do you think there is a possibility we could see a return of this?

I like to think we are beyond this kind of barbarism, but maybe I'm being naive...

Wow... If Obama had a son, he'd totally look like the one on the right.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2012, 12:54:48 AM »

Nah, the riots will happen a couple years later when the world stops trading in the USD and inflation destroys the US.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies