Supreme Court Vacancy Imminent
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 08:53:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Supreme Court Vacancy Imminent
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Supreme Court Vacancy Imminent  (Read 2050 times)
qwerty
maineman5
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 14, 2005, 08:29:04 AM »

SHOCKING LOOK AT AILING REHNQUIST

By VINCENT MORRIS
New York Post

January 14, 2005 -- WASHINGTON — One of the most powerful men in America, cancer-stricken Supreme Court Chief Justice William Rehnquist, looked very, very ill yesterday.

I say that because I unexpectedly came face to face with the 80-year-old, wheelchair-bound Rehnquist as his aides pushed him down an endless series of basement corridors in the Capitol.

The longtime chief justice hasn't been seen in public in several months and it was clear to me why.

Rehnquist was hunched over in his wheelchair, an old hunting cap pulled down low over his ears to cover up his blotchy skin and near baldness, possibly the result of the aggressive treatment he's getting for his thyroid cancer.

His eyes looked sunken and lifeless. A plastic collar was wrapped tightly around his neck, where his throat had been opened recently for a tracheotomy.

I tried to make eye contact and wanted to offer a word of encouragement. Our eyes never met.

Rehnquist, who has not been appearing at Supreme Court sessions this year, had arranged for a private view of the platform outside the Capitol, where on Thursday he'll swear in President Bush to a second term.

At the Capitol yesterday, Rehnquist struggled to get out of his wheelchair for a view, as police kept onlookers back and people averted their eyes to spare him embarrassment.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2005, 09:07:38 AM »

If the treatment is effective, this could be temporary.  People look bad during it and can go on for decades.

Renquist has have various health problems since the 1970's, though not life threatening.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2005, 10:44:47 AM »

Keep in mind that for any Justice (no matter who be President) it sells more papers to speculate  that he will soon be replaced than to not.  The paid press will always have a built in bias towards hyping a story.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2005, 10:48:25 AM »

The man is 80 years old. He's not going to go on for decades, and he's not going on for four more years.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2005, 12:08:47 PM »

The man is 80 years old. He's not going to go on for decades, and he's not going on for four more years.

A lot of people who appear being with a foot on the grave outlive many of those who speculate.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2005, 01:47:49 PM »
« Edited: January 14, 2005, 01:50:36 PM by WalterMitty »

forgive me in advance if i sound harsh....

how much do we pay supreme court justices?  $200K +.?  is it too much to ask for some full time work in return?  if someone is too ill to continue with his/her duties, as rehnquist obviously is, they should do the country a favor and resign.

it is time for the other 8 members of the court to pass around the collection plate for willie's gold watch and lets send him on his way.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2005, 02:14:52 PM »

how much do we pay supreme court justices?  $200K +.?  is it too much to ask for some full time work in return?  if someone is too ill to continue with his/her duties, as rehnquist obviously is, they should do the country a favor and resign.

it is time for the other 8 members of the court to pass around the collection plate for willie's gold watch and lets send him on his way.

He could make $200,000 working as a lawyer, part time.  I say, let him recover.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2005, 02:17:41 PM »

but at least the tax payers wouldnt be footing the bill.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2005, 02:19:02 PM »

A lot of people who appear being with a foot on the grave outlive many of those who speculate.

Okay. If he outlives me, I'll take it back.
David S
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2005, 03:34:30 PM »

Yep. There is no cure for 80 years old.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2005, 03:51:36 PM »

but at least the tax payers wouldnt be footing the bill.

You don't that a firm of some type wouldn't grant medical leave, effectively?  He's still working, just not quite in the same way he was.

Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2005, 03:55:21 PM »

Strom Thurmond's babysitter (!) lived to be 108. But for a few more weeks she would have outlasted him.

Anyhow, I say, once Rehnquist retires after he swears in President Bush, Bush should nominate Newt Gingrich as Chief Justice. One can always dream...
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2005, 04:07:34 PM »

Strom Thurmond's babysitter (!) lived to be 108. But for a few more weeks she would have outlasted him.

Anyhow, I say, once Rehnquist retires after he swears in President Bush, Bush should nominate Newt Gingrich as Chief Justice. One can always dream...

O_o

Seriously, though, I think Thomas should be Chief Jsutice, not Scalia.
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2005, 06:43:22 PM »

O_o

Seriously, though, I think Thomas should be Chief Jsutice, not Scalia.

There is a strong argument against hiring a SC insider as Chief Justice: Not only will you have a contentious nomination for the new CJSC, you'll also have another contentious nomination for the then-vacant Associate Justice position.

Still, I like the idea of hiring an outsider non-lawyer as CJ--the federal judges up the pike are uniformly activist, liberal or not. Chief Justice Jeb Bush, anyone?
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2005, 06:47:06 PM »

It wouldn't be the first time; anybody hear of Earl Warren?
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2005, 07:26:37 PM »
« Edited: January 14, 2005, 08:13:22 PM by Storebought »

It wouldn't be the first time; anybody hear of Earl Warren?

I know, but I avoided mentioning that pantywaist
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2005, 09:14:40 PM »

Trent Lott for the SCOTUS!!!
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2005, 09:50:37 PM »

On the Supreme Court of the Confederacy perhaps.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies