lefties: figuring out how conservatives think the way they are (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:17:12 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  lefties: figuring out how conservatives think the way they are (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: lefties: figuring out how conservatives think the way they are  (Read 2425 times)
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

« on: May 04, 2012, 12:21:52 AM »

I've come up with a theory that the basic pillar of modern conservatism is almost one of populism. The reason the democrats had a lot of appeal from the depression up until the late 1960s was that they were seen as the party of the people. But as the 60s turned into the 70s, a lot of democrats began questioning their alleigance. How? Because they felt it was no longer the party of the people but a party of a select few. Part of the reason is that certain voting blocs didn't have much sway in the party at the time but by 1972, they did (think McGovern-Fraser commission).

The basic argument of a lot of right wingers i've known is that the democratic party leaders are basically a pack of sugar daddies who are out to score points for their clients (blacks, feminists, hispanics, gays, jews etc) and are there only to represent them and not "The American Majority". Such a type of mentality had existed for years but when Obama was elected, it pretty much sounded off an alarm and this ideology has much more visibility now.

For the record, I'm not here to say that these people are racist. Many hold negative views of people of their own race. I've argued for years that the divisions in american politics is not race, but rather made up of divisions within the white community that is often obscured by the increase of minorities in this country. Although whites as a whole lean republican nationally, the difference between whites within the country is almost as wide as differences between nonwhites and whites. I always thought that the white backlash to the civil rights movement in the 1960s wasn't really an anti-black attitude as much as it was a backlash against other white people (particularly jewish college students). They felt that they were puppetmasters using the black community as grenades against them.
freepcrusher
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2012, 07:53:38 PM »

yet the state obviously fails at its most basic duties. this is part of why i and others feel so enraged by the illegal immigration issue in particular even if we can not necessarily articulate why this is.

Because to be honest, leftists need constituents.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

White is too vague a term. Whites should be discouraged from being a "Scots-Irish" or "Cavalier" type of white and should be encouraged to be a "Scandinavian" "Jewish" or "Olde English" type of white.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies