Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2014, 11:15:49 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Atlas Hardware Upgrade complete October 13, 2013.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  General Politics
| |-+  Individual Politics (Moderators: Grad Students are the Worst, Lunar, Torie)
| | |-+  Planetary Resources discussion thread
« previous next »
Pages: [1] Print
Author Topic: Planetary Resources discussion thread  (Read 139 times)
The Mikado
Moderators
YaBB God

View Profile
« on: May 04, 2012, 01:31:25 pm »
Ignore

Because there isn't a thread elsewhere on here.

Thoughts re: asteroid mining?  Now that it looks like an actual thing that could occur in the coming decades rather than a pipe dream?

What will happen to the Paul family in the 2030s when Planetary Resources drags in hundreds of tons of asteroid gold and the price of gold goes down 75%?

It is very advisable to examine and dissect the men of science for once, since they for their part are quite accustomed to laying bold hands on everything in the world, even the most venerable things, and taking them to pieces.

-Friedrich Nietzsche
True Federalist
Ernest
Moderators
YaBB God
United States

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, 04:54:46 pm »
Ignore

Right now, it looks like the most valuable material to be mined would be ice for use as rocket fuel, and we'd need to be far more active in the space beyond LEO than we currently are for that to be worthwhile.  We may see an asteroid mining venture in my lifetime, but it won't be profitable.  Maybe some of the youngs on this site will be able to own a piece of a money making asteroid mining company, but not me.

Daily Reflections on the Revised Common Lectionary

Bible thumping kept to a minimum unless you go to sleep!
The below comic stars me!
dead0man
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.84, S: -4.52

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 09:13:09 pm »
Ignore

I believe the "smarts" say that Helium-3 mining on the moon will be the real money maker.  We need a cheaper way to get weight into orbit first though...but once you've got sh**t in orbit, the rest is gravy.

Quote from:   Martha Gellhorn for The Atlantic 1961
The unique misfortune of the Palestinian refugees is that they are a weapon in what seems to be a permanent war...today, in the Middle East, you get a repeated sinking sensation about the Palestinian refugees: they are only a beginning, not an end. Their function is to hang around and be constantly useful as a goad. The ultimate aim is not such humane small potatoes as repatriating refugees.
Pages: [1] Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout