Will Barack Obama win Utah?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 16, 2024, 04:18:01 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2012 Elections
  Will Barack Obama win Utah?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Will Barack Obama win Utah?  (Read 2820 times)
mondale84
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -3.30

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 04, 2012, 04:29:03 PM »

Will he? I mean the latest poll (http://publicpolicypolling.typepad.com/pdf/2011/PPP_Release_UT_07141205.pdf) shows Obama only 32 points behind Romney and if Romney is discovered to be a polygamist who eats babies (anything is possible in the next six months) then I could see Obama being seriously competitive in Utah and maybe even winning. Again, anything is possible with global warming.

Let me know your thoughts...
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2012, 04:31:18 PM »

It depends. If the US economy suddenly starts creating two million jobs a month and Romney's involved in fifty different scandals, this is quite reasonable.

I will look forward to bumping this when Obama wins Utah.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2012, 04:35:43 PM »

He was only down 2 points to Palin in a poll last year.
All Along The Watchtower
Progressive Realist
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2012, 04:36:58 PM »

So I just found out that Paul McCartney died in 1966.

Like the OP said, anything is possible.
So rightwing that I broke the Political Compass!
Rockingham

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2012, 04:39:32 PM »

The lead margin for Romney over Obama in Utah is 40%. Obama's lead margin in Massachusetts is only 10%.

Your attempt to mock me falls flat if you look at those numbers. A 5% increase in Romney's vote is very plausible, whereas a 20% increase for Obama would be entirely unprecedented.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2012, 04:41:40 PM »

The lead margin for Romney over Obama in Utah is 40%. Obama's lead margin in Massachusetts is only 10%.

Your attempt to mock me falls flat if you look at those numbers. A 5% increase in Romney's vote is very plausible, whereas a 20% increase for Obama would be entirely unprecedented.

Obama won Massachussets by 25 points. Ignore Scott Rasmussen's trolling and YouGov, which is a really terrible poster (don't they do online polls? lol).

Romney will probably do a little better than McCain. He might lose by 20 or 18 or whatever instead of 25. That would be about a five point increase, sure. Smiley
mondale84
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -3.30

P P P
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2012, 04:43:16 PM »

Why? Barack Obama could turn into the new messiah over the course of the next six months and the entire Mormon clan could end up singing kumbaya in a circle with him. Again, anything is possible. Also, that poll is a year old, I am sure Utahans have warmed up to the new messiah since.
Rockingham

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2012, 04:45:56 PM »

Obama won Massachussets by 25 points. Ignore Scott Rasmussen's trolling and YouGov, which is a really terrible poster (don't they do online polls? lol).

Romney will probably do a little better than McCain. He might lose by 20 or 18 or whatever instead of 25. That would be about a five point increase, sure. Smiley
But theirs also various PPP polls. They're all over the place though... some backing me up, some contradicting me. And theirs a Suffolk University poll.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2012, 04:47:38 PM »

Oh, by the way, even ignoring polling (which you yourself suggested doing in that thread based on the fact that Indiana wasn't considered a swing state early on), there's no logical reason that Romney would win or even come reasonably close in MA. None.
Rockingham

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2012, 04:48:38 PM »

Why? Barack Obama could turn into the new messiah over the course of the next six months and the entire Mormon clan could end up singing kumbaya in a circle with him. Again, anything is possible. Also, that poll is a year old, I am sure Utahans have warmed up to the new messiah since.
Thread creator, you respond to my maths with mockery. Maths>Mockery.
Rockingham

« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2012, 04:49:47 PM »

Oh, by the way, even ignoring polling (which you yourself suggested doing in that thread based on the fact that Indiana wasn't considered a swing state early on), there's no logical reason that Romney would win or even come reasonably close in MA. None.
That's an assertion, not an argument. Back it up with some facts or figures.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2012, 04:50:24 PM »

Romney 54-45
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2012, 04:51:01 PM »

This is coming from a poster who's confidently predicting a second Great Depression within the next couple of months? Uhuh.

e: Serious question - do you think Obama can win Texas? He's "only" trailing by 7 there, after all. Roll Eyes
Rockingham

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2012, 04:59:38 PM »

This is coming from a poster who's confidently predicting a second Great Depression within the next couple of months? Uhuh.
No, I've said either 2012 or 2013. I'll eat my own cock if it hasn't happened come the end of 2013.

You must be logged in to read this quote.
I can't see a plausible catalyst for that, it would have to be some out of the blue scandal. However, Texas is clearly trending Dem... either 2020 or 2024 will mark the tipping year, I'd say.

He could of probably won it in 2008 if the GFC had started at the end of 2007 rather then the end of 2008.
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2012, 05:01:10 PM »

No, I've said either 2012 or 2013. I'll eat my own cock if it hasn't happened come the end of 2013.

Can we hold you to that?
Landslide Lyndon
px75
Atlas Star
Greece

« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2012, 05:04:18 PM »

What a dumb question.

Of course he will.
Rockingham

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2012, 05:04:35 PM »

Can we hold you to that?
Most certainly. Everything is alligned for it... the European situation, the Chinese bubble poised to burst, Middle Eastern instability, crazy teabaggers controlling the house of representatives, increasing social friction....
Trueconservative

Political Matrix
E: 4.26, S: 5.91

« Reply #17 on: May 04, 2012, 05:17:34 PM »

Obama will not win Utah. I'll bet my life and a million more lives on it.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2012, 05:19:41 PM »

If Obama converts to Mormonism he almost certainly will. Downside is he'll probably lose Massachusetts then.
Rockingham

« Reply #19 on: May 04, 2012, 05:22:46 PM »

If Obama converts to Mormonism he almost certainly will. Downside is he'll probably lose Massachusetts then.
Off topic, but has their ever been a president(or head of state anywhere) that converted whilst holding power?
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2012, 05:32:06 PM »

It depends. If the US economy suddenly starts creating two million jobs a month and Romney's involved in fifty different scandals, this is quite reasonable.

I will look forward to bumping this when Obama wins Utah.

Nah.  If that happens, Johnson or Roemer will take the state.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2012, 05:58:28 PM »

Obama will not win Utah. I'll bet my life and a million more lives on it.

welcome to the Forum!
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #22 on: May 04, 2012, 06:25:46 PM »

No. Rocky Anderson is from there, and Romney is a Mormon. Obama will come in third.
NVGonzalez
antwnzrr
Mexico

« Reply #23 on: May 04, 2012, 06:50:14 PM »

What a dumb question.

Of course he will.
BaldEagle1991
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #24 on: May 04, 2012, 07:11:20 PM »

He won't win Utah, that's the most Republican state in the Union. Those Mormons are riled up for Romney much like how African Americans are to Obama.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies